K'man

Peameal Bacon aka Back Bacon

I thought I would add this to the various types of bacon recipes here.  This is not Canadian Bacon.  Actually if you do the research Canadian Bacon is not even Canadian it's more of an American thang eh?

Peameal bacon is simply cured pork loin and in years gone by coated in pea meal.  The meal helps to dry the meat making it less susceptible to spoilage although it will only keep refrigerated a few days after curing.  Today it's sold coated in cornmeal, the name has not changed.  It's often sold in Ontario at farm markets offered as Back Bacon on a Bun.  Costco offers a version of it as well although theirs has been cooked after curing.

Peameal bacon is either fried or it can be baked whole to a temperature of 145˚F, thinly sliced and warmed.  It's great with eggs, in a sandwich or with Hollandaise sauce served as Eggs Benedict.

In the picture below I used the authentic pea meal coating.  I simply took some split yellow peas and pulverized them in my Bullet.  

I find Michael Ruhlman's brine recipe to be closest to the peameal bacon I knew growing up  https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj6ravyoP_XAhUJxoMKHbuMDk8QFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fruhlman.com%2F2011%2F02%2Fcanadian-bacon-brining-basics%2F&usg=AOvVaw1nn5by4uqJINeI0rhQpq6Y 

Some brines call for pickling spice as well.

IMG_1796.JPG

Edited by K'man

4 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

Canada.......the place where there is no such thing as Canadian bacon.

Nice looking peameal there sir!

Thank you Rick.  I do miss the Back Bacon on a Bun and the St Jacobs Market.

Hey Rick, check out Witteveens on 24.  Great peameal & great meats all 'round.They have a booth at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto and my buddies and I gobbled a pound and a half of fresh warm sliced Peameal after checking out what everybody was queued up for...  Also Carls Choice Meats on Colbourne Street has a pretty good rep at the Cambridge Market.  No need to go to St. Jacob's except for the Apple Fritters now that the Brown Dog is gone...

K'man, wish I'd had your address during our trip around the rock last year.  We fought hard to find the quality of meals that we were expecting to find.  After talking to all the islanders here in town, I now understand what we saw/found.