K'man

Kamado Smoked Cheese

4 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

Must try the Havarti.  I'm smoking some med. cheddar this morning, also for gifts.  Had a lot of trouble getting the smouldering needed with the Amazen Smoke tray, maybe damp wood dust or something.  Anyway, dumped it all into a folding stainless steel steamer basket and now it's smoking away like it was designed for that.  So if you don't have the tray, get creative.  However, having a cold day with a bit of breeze helps too...

For what it's worth I tried sawdust first and had issues so I bought some pellets.  They work well but I'm thinking the smoke is stronger even with the same wood. They also burn hotter, but that can be overcome.

7 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

Must try the Havarti.  I'm smoking some med. cheddar this morning, also for gifts.  Had a lot of trouble getting the smouldering needed with the Amazen Smoke tray, maybe damp wood dust or something.  Anyway, dumped it all into a folding stainless steel steamer basket and now it's smoking away like it was designed for that.  So if you don't have the tray, get creative.  However, having a cold day with a bit of breeze helps too...

The booklet that came with my tube suggested putting pellets (don't know about sawdust) into the microwave for 40 seconds, take out and stir, then zap for 30 more seconds, this is to make sure the pellets are dry.  I did this on my last batch of cheese.  I think it maybe helped, can't see it hurt anything.  

9 hours ago, Shortyque said:

The booklet that came with my tube suggested putting pellets (don't know about sawdust) into the microwave for 40 seconds, take out and stir, then zap for 30 more seconds, this is to make sure the pellets are dry.  I did this on my last batch of cheese.  I think it maybe helped, can't see it hurt anything.  

I think that's a good idea especially depending on how they're stored.  Those directions did not come with mine, thank you for that.

From the day I opened the bag of pellets I sealed the plastic bag and kept them in my house.  I think that works too.  It's probably just a matter of humidity and considering where I live, that's important.

No problem at all getting small chips to start smoldering this morning thanks to your suggestion to dry them out inside first.  Cold and clear, light breeze, perfect for smoking my med. cheddar and Havarti.  It goes with Christmas for sure!

@K'man

Your avatar says you have an Akorn. Have you used that pellet tray in the first post in the Akorn? Will it fit? What size is it?

Or is a pellet tube enough to smoke cheese? How long a tube will fit?

Thanks

7 hours ago, DWFII said:

@K'man

Your avatar says you have an Akorn. Have you used that pellet tray in the first post in the Akorn? Will it fit? What size is it?

Or is a pellet tube enough to smoke cheese? How long a tube will fit?

Thanks

I have the tray and use it in my Keg.  My Akorn's are Jr's. and not big enough for what I want.  The tray would work in anything from a WSM, Kettle, gasser or Kamado.  The tray is 5" X 8" and about 1" deep

1 hour ago, K'man said:

I have the tray and use it in my Keg.  My Akorn's are Jr's. and not big enough for what I want.  The tray would work in anything from a WSM, Kettle, gasser or Kamado.  The tray is 5" X 8" and about 1" deep

Thanks, I was just wondering about physical dimensions and how the 6x6 tray would fit in the bottom of the Akorn firebox. I suspect that the charcoal grate is just about 6" in diameter (the rig is in the shed and a little hard to get to--I didn't measure the grate exactly). Can't decide on the tray or the oval expanding tube.

I was figuring that I'd try to do a seasoning this weekend and then maybe some smoked cheese.

DWFII, I do my smoking in the Akorn Jr. but use a round steamer basket that fits down in the fire box further than a square tray.  And I also make sure I have a deflector in place.  But the cold weather we've had lately has been great for smoking cheese.  

Thanks.

The fire grate on the full size Akorn is 12" in diameter so even the 5" x 8" pellet tray will fit. But I think the 6" x 6" tray might be perfect. Or a couple of 12" tubes.

18 hours ago, DWFII said:

Thanks.

The fire grate on the full size Akorn is 12" in diameter so even the 5" x 8" pellet tray will fit. But I think the 6" x 6" tray might be perfect. Or a couple of 12" tubes.

It really does not matter that it sits flat on the bottom, the idea is that it will supply smoke without heat. Smoke & Awe's idea using a steamer basket is great too.  I'm sure some tin cans depending on their shape would work well also.  May or may not have to drill a few holes for air.  I'm guessing you could make a tray up using tinfoil as well.