Sign in to follow this  
just4fn

Kick ash baskets

I have one kick ash basket for my Primo XL.  Do you use 2 when doing a high heat cook or none at all?  It seems it might be hard for the coals to travel since they aren't touching or do you just light both sides?. I'm just wondering if I should buy another one. 

3 hours ago, Smoque'n said:

I have 2 kick ash baskets in my xl. So far I have used a fire starter in each half for high heat. That being said I usually use 2 zone and only have one half fired up.

Do you have both baskets in the grill and only light one side?  If that's the case, I would think the other side could light. 

4 minutes ago, just4fn said:

Do you have both baskets in the grill and only light one side?  If that's the case, I would think the other side could light. 

At this point my high heat cooks I’ve been doing, I have only been using one side of the grill. For low and slow I just make sure to place at least one piece of lump that crosses from one basket to the next. Once I get my pizza stone I will have a reason to use a full bed of lump so I will try a fire starter between the 2 KAB’s see how that works.