• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Brad45

Cast Iron Cooking Grate is very Rough

Hi All,

I just purchased an Akorn. As I am working to season the cast iron cooking grate, I am finding that it is very rough. Almost the consistency of 40 grit sandpaper. When I rubbed on the oil for the seasoning process it shredded both paper towels and a terry cloth rag. It almost seemed to tear apart the aluminum foil I used to clean up after the first cook.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have tricks/tips to correct it?

Thanks, Brad

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Food grease will take over where you left off.  I have a Keg & two Akorn Jr's all with cast iron.  The grates will build up on their own.  I like to heat my grates up before every cook and scrape off any crud, then I install my diffuser and drip pan for low & slow.

Your biggest concern will be to leave them for long periods of time after a high heat cook.  That would burn off your seasoning and they might begin to rust.

A nice pork butt or some chicken legs would be a good way to break in your cooker and add some seasoning to the grate.

John Setzler's got a thread on polishing cast iron cookware and re-seasoning for better food release that would give you guidance on correcting the problem if it's a problem. It's not for me, but my grate gets a lot of fat, and as K'man notes, food grease takes over if you let it. I've never had issues with CI grate rust on my 2-barrel, and the Akorn's less susceptible. 

Have fun,

Frank

Thanks for the replies guys. Last weekend was a chicken and today a bone in turkey breast. Next weekend I think I will do some ribs.

I will try and remember to post back to this thread on how I think the grates are performing in a month or so.

Brad

I`m guessing you got the large Akorn? I have the small Akorn and I bought a coated steel grate from weber. The smokey Joe grate is the same size as the Akorn Jr. Don`t have to worry about seasoning. Just hit with brush or stone after grilling. You might want to check to see if other grates will fit your Akorn.