John Setzler

Spices and Seasonings

20171216_Spices.thumb.jpg.2f09fa1de57b810ece4ca81803f4e27f.jpg

I rarely find myself lacking in the spices and seasonings department.  I have a good habit of replacing a jar when it's empty.  Most dried spices have a really long shelf life.  I prefer dried spices in some cases to fresh ones depending on what I'm making. 

If you guys have the option to buy from the bulk section of your grocery store you can save a bundle on spices.  Save the old jars and just refill them.  Costco is hard to beat but if they carry the spices but they don't have all the spices most of us use so its a nice inexpensive alternative.

My wife has a number or rules involving kitchen counters. This is my attempt to have my critical spices at arms reach and still abide by the rules. Works extremely well. The tins have magnetic bottoms and sit on a metal cookie sheet (I bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond). .  The lids have a slot and different size holes so you can twist and sprinkle if you choose. I generally just take the lid off and grab the appropriate pinch. 

DSC_3291.thumb.jpg.740720f5f9ee0fdfddded4936dbbf993.jpg

10 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@keeperovdeflame

Interesting containers... I might ahve a look at some of those and stick them on a metal plate on the wall....

I think they would work for that application,John. The lids fit on snugly and when you twist the cap closed it stays that way. I simply used a lable maker with sticky backed stock to make the labels. At my age I used a large font, so I could easily read the labels. 

Wow, I can only wish for a organization like that.  Our kitchen is so small, more like the galley of a very small boat. :(  Getting spices from the back of the cupboard invariably involves several jars on the floor, much muttering, and vows to buy a winning lottery ticket so we can get a bigger house!

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 12:04 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

My wife has a number or rules involving kitchen counters. This is my attempt to have my critical spices at arms reach and still abide by the rules. Works extremely well. The tins have magnetic bottoms and sit on a metal cookie sheet (I bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond). .  The lids have a slot and different size holes so you can twist and sprinkle if you choose. I generally just take the lid off and grab the appropriate pinch. 

DSC_3291.thumb.jpg.740720f5f9ee0fdfddded4936dbbf993.jpg

Nice seasoning drawer. I see you have Penzeys spices. Penzeys is all we use anymore, there products are great.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, Shortyque said:

Wow, I can only wish for a organization like that.  Our kitchen is so small, more like the galley of a very small boat. :(  Getting spices from the back of the cupboard invariably involves several jars on the floor, much muttering, and vows to buy a winning lottery ticket so we can get a bigger house!

I am in the same boat, Kitchen remodel 2018 to give us much needed space and cabinets.