bosco

ThermoWorks infrared gun

I just ordered an IR gun for my pizza oven. My wife is buying it for me for Christmas and I have no knowledge with respect to them. If anyone has any experienece or knowledge with respect to this model it would be appreciated.  

Hi Temp Industrial IR w/Circle Laser (IR-IND)

8181A0E6-F12A-49C9-B40F-7CEADCCD9AAE.jpeg.1de5e96ad467531d3529411fe6adf212.jpeg

NEW! Circle laser for better targeting

Professional IR tool

Max/Min, °C/°F, Avg, Alarm

Reads type K probes

30:1 optic range

I also have a one of their IR meters but a different model. It works great but you might

want to take at look at "Emissivity" and how it relates to accurate readings. Here is a

link to the Thermoworks page on it...

http://www.thermoworks.com/emissivity_table

Various surfaces reflect differently and will affect the readings you get. Sounds like a

really nice Christmas present. Enjoy!

I have one of those, but not completly sure of the model. Works fantastic. Gives a good read out on what ever you point it at. On top of reading the temp off my pizza stone, and grills,  i have used mine to check the temp of wine in unopened bottles, to check for air leaks around my windows, even heat flow from my heater registers, and the temp off my diesel engine block, turbo, wheel cylynders after towing, etc. Great little tool. One of the best uses is to determine a cooler spot in your grill, as the location changes from fire to fire. Have fun with it. 

If you ever did care about the actual temperature of a surface and don't want to mess around trying to find the right emissivity setting you can buy one of these: http://www.thermoworks.com/PRB-K-030

Since the IR thermo you are looking at accepts Type K probes it will give you the real surface temp.

If you are never going to take advantage of the ability to use a Type K probe then these days any of the $15 IR thermos will work just as well.

I'd like to join in on the "I know you asked for experience about this model - I don't have any but I'll share some info about stuff you don't have" discussion.

I have a different laser heat thingo, and it works great.  I can measure stone temp, and plot like a Bond villain as to the perfect moment to hurl my unsuspecting pizza into its flaming doom.

As a bonus, while you're waiting for your pizza oven/Kamado to come up to temp, you can measure pets, children, walls etc. until you drive you spouse crazy and she threatens to measure your temp the "old fashioned way" with it.

Mine arrived today in record shipping.  I am not allowed to use it just yet as my wife has wrapped it an placed it under the tree.  I am really looking forward to using it to measure stone temp.  Today, I fired up the oven and although there is a gauge on the right side, I am not sure how this will help me to know the stone temp.  

Pretty excited now.... plus as many of you said, I will likely use it to mess with my kids and anything else that I can possibly measure!