Tony in Tampa

Greetings From Tampa

Hello all.  I am currently shopping for a kamado grill and have just started doing the research about a week ago, so I have some questions.  Let me start out with the back story.  We have a fairly small lanai (screened in porch).  I currently have a Webber Genesis that is about 10 years old.  I have wanted a smoker for years, but we just don't have the room.  I love my Webber, but I just couldn't keep the smoke box smoking and keep the temp low enough when trying to smoke with it.  Now I'm ready to enter the world of kamado grilling and get rid of my gas grill...I think.  I looked at the Vision Pro C at the Home Depot first and then I looked at the BGE.  The Vision's stand seemed to have some wobble when I moved it, but I wasn't sure if it was just how they assembled the display, other than that, they seemed pretty close.  My questions are:

If properly assembled, is the base as sturdy as the BGE?

Can you keep the temp down to 195 - 200 with the vision or BGE?

I have read some comments about the heat escaping through the starter port and ash drawer; is this still the case?

Do BGE accessories fit such as the heat deflector or (plate setter)?

Is the Vision as good as the Kamado Joe?

I don't want to skimp on quality, but are the BGEs and KJs worth the extra money?

Any unbiased feedback would be much appreciated by someone cautiously entering the kamado world.

PS

If when reading this you heard an accent...I'm originally from Maine...LOL

Welcome to the Guru there are a lot of great people and info around here Tony.  You'll get a variety of many, many varying opinions on brands of Kamado grills.  I have two Primos and really am pleased with them.  I feel if you can get the KJ Costco deal it's the best bang for your buck all around.  I've looked at Visions and felt that they weren't up to my standards in quality.  I looked at BGE's and had my reservations with there hinges and stance on not warranting the grill if you used anything other than BGE accessories on your grill.

Welcome! As TKOBBQ stated you will get many varying opinions on that. I just went through this myself recently. I must of researched almost ever kamado on the market. You got to know what your budget is. Figure out what best for needs. Company warranties ect. Do your homework. You'll narrow it down to 2 brands or so. Which ever one has the best deal at the time will probably be the one you'll get. Well that's what happened to me anyway. It was either a Primo or Kamado Joe for me. What ever brand you choose you'll  love it. And you'll  be hooked.

TKO and Ron,

You were both correct.  After spending 2 busy "home office days" prior to my vacation really delving into what would be the best fit for me, it ended up being the only unit I didn't actually even see in person...The Kamado Joe!  A local distributor had the Classic II on sale for $1078, and I thought, if I'm going to eventually get a KM, why not get it on sale.  The process of explaining to my wife that we needed to purchase the unit was a whole different challenge for a totally different forum, as she couldn't understand why a simple charcoal grill would cost more than a grand.  My finalists were the KJ, BGE & Vision, and I asked my self which I would chose if I had my choice for free.  I'm kind of nervous since I didn't actually see the grill prior to purchasing, but from everything I've seen and read about, the KJ seems to this beginner to be the superior product compared to the BGE.  Unfortunately, it won't be delivered until the 26th, but that's just the right fix for that dreadful Christmas hangover.  I hope the choice to ditch the propane grill doesn't bite me in the ###, because my wife would never live this one down.  Until then...Merry Christmas!!!

On 12/20/2017 at 3:29 PM, Tony in Tampa said:

Hello all.  I am currently shopping for a kamado grill and have just started doing the research about a week ago, so I have some questions.  Let me start out with the back story.  We have a fairly small lanai (screened in porch).  I currently have a Webber Genesis that is about 10 years old.  I have wanted a smoker for years, but we just don't have the room.  I love my Webber, but I just couldn't keep the smoke box smoking and keep the temp low enough when trying to smoke with it.  Now I'm ready to enter the world of kamado grilling and get rid of my gas grill...I think.  I looked at the Vision Pro C at the Home Depot first and then I looked at the BGE.  The Vision's stand seemed to have some wobble when I moved it, but I wasn't sure if it was just how they assembled the display, other than that, they seemed pretty close.  My questions are:

If properly assembled, is the base as sturdy as the BGE?

Can you keep the temp down to 195 - 200 with the vision or BGE?

I have read some comments about the heat escaping through the starter port and ash drawer; is this still the case?

Do BGE accessories fit such as the heat deflector or (plate setter)?

Is the Vision as good as the Kamado Joe?

I don't want to skimp on quality, but are the BGEs and KJs worth the extra money?

Any unbiased feedback would be much appreciated by someone cautiously entering the kamado world.

PS

Truth is, if a good back yard cook, turned out 3 great cooks on three different kamados, no one would be able to identify which kamado turned out each cook. Bottom line all kamados. in the hands of an experienced cook, can and will turn out amazing food. Metal Akorns are amoung the least expensive, yet I have seen some truly mouth watering cooks come off them.  So why do some cost more than others? probably  quality of materials, fit and finish, company reputation and history, and a host of other factors. The KJ you decided on is a great grill and very capable, the company has a very good rep and they consistently provide good follow up service. Is it better than say a BGE or a Primo, not really in my book as all three grills are excellent, but in truth who really cares. Any of the major companies turn out a quality grill and provide pretty much equal service. Just depends which grill lights your fire. Chevy and Ford both make good trucks. Happy Cooking.  

On 12/20/2017 at 5:29 PM, Tony in Tampa said:

PS

It's not you that has the accent, it's everyone around you. Now get cooking and show them how to serve up some grilled lobstah, stemahs, and chowdah.

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!  I feel guilty that I am getting an extended Christmas with my KJ being delivered on the 26th...but not really.  I really hope that I have success using it often and that it lives up to the hype.