HokieOC

Additional Joe Jr?

I’m in Greensboro at the inlaws for the holidays. The local Costco has Kamado Joes for sale. I have a classic that I’ve had since September and love, and have been kicking around the idea of getting a Joe Jr. for both supplemental cooking at home, and taking on the road—beach, camping etc

the costco price is $100 less than what I’ve seen elsewhere. I can guess the responses I’ll get in this forum but just to make me feel better about justifying it....I kinda have to get the thing right? 

Also for anyone who has traveled with one, are they semi-easy to transport for a long weekend to week long trip?

I have a joe jr and love it, however I wouldn't dream of traveling with it. It is fairly awkward to carry by yourself and it being ceramic it is quite fragile. In my honest opinion if I wanted something to travel with I would go with the akorn jr. 

And with the Roadshow price of the Joe Jr, you practically saved as much as the Akorn Jr would cost.  Or actually the same amount if you can find one of the black ones on sale at Lowe’s for $99 (at least they were recently going for that much - not sure now).   So, you could get both. Akorn Jr gets to hit the road and Joe Jr gets to play stay at home searing / quick weeknight cook machine. 

8 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

And with the Roadshow price of the Joe Jr, you practically saved as much as the Akorn Jr would cost.  Or actually the same amount if you can find one of the black ones on sale at Lowe’s for $99 (at least they were recently going for that much - not sure now).   So, you could get both. Akorn Jr gets to hit the road and Joe Jr gets to play stay at home searing / quick weeknight cook machine. 

Haha. I like the way you think, but if my wife sees this suggestion she will hunt you down. 

10 hours ago, HokieOC said:

the costco price is $100 less than what I’ve seen elsewhere. I can guess the responses I’ll get in this forum but just to make me feel better about justifying it....I kinda have to get the thing right? 

Right... you HAVE to get it!

Purchase justified!

Treat yourself!

Go for it!

Picked up the Akorn jr for travelling this fall. Was great to have at the beach. And frankly its heavy enough @ 38 lbs without being ceramic.

Either one though, if you can take it with you, you'll be happy. i was so tired of cooking on crappy rental grills!

Buy the JR and then after the first time you try to take it somewhere explain to the wife what a huge mistake you made :roll: and that you really need to get the Akorn Jr for travel.....then you'll have it all. I love my KJ Jr for steaks and small cooks during the week.

1 hour ago, JB58 said:

Buy the JR and then after the first time you try to take it somewhere explain to the wife what a huge mistake you made :roll: and that you really need to get the Akorn Jr for travel.....then you'll have it all. I love my KJ Jr for steaks and small cooks during the week.

:rofl: 

Thanks to all for the advice. I wound up going practical and ordered the Akorn Jr. makes more sense for traveling, and cooking area is actually a little bigger than Joe Jr. for doing quick weeknight cooks

i do love the KJ products but had to be pragmatic. And it’s red so at least will match my Joe Classic on the patio!

I actually love my Akorn jr for quick weeknight meals even when I’m not traveling. If it’s burgers or taco meat or sausages, I almost always fire up my Akorn jr before my Komodo Kamado. 

Now if if I need any kind of precision temperature cooking - I go KK all the way. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KamadoHop
      I have done NY style crusts successfully recently but really wanted to try my hand at achieving a Neapolitan style pizza. 

I used the recipe found at https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pizza-and-flatbread-recipes/neapolitan-style-pizza-dough-recipe

However, I did deviate a bit as I don’t have a scale and couldn’t measure by weight. I also used White Lily bread flour as I couldn’t track down any “00” here locally. 

10” stone + 1” ceramic spacers (3) atop the KJ deflector. KJ big block and Togo premium as full as I could get it safely. 

The recipe calls all’s for a surface temp of 600° and that’s most likely accurate. My first pie was a bit over cooked but still good at a surface temp of around 650°. After getting the temp down closer to 600°, they did much better. I did a Canadian bacon/shredded Italian cheese mix for my two boys, a traditional mozzarella/basil for me, and a pesto/goat cheese for my wife. Everybody was happy.  Anyway, here they are:

not everything went to plan though...

This one didn’t cooperate coming coming off the peel.. 

so so I got an undercooked loaf of bread. :D

• By pesto3
      Had and idea for a different take on pork belly burned ends on the weekend. 

Spun the belly on my KJ Jr Rotisserie 

Once I had my crackle I removed the belly and reconfigured my jr. separated the crackle from the belly, set crackle aside and dice the belly into cubes. Put the belly into a pan with some gingerbeer and apple juice and put it back on the Jr, indirect covered in foil. 

chooped the crackle into a rustic crumb and added some garlic chives. 

Very happy with the result. My idea for the next one is the same process but with Asian flavours. 

Thanks for looking!
    • By Motzki56
      I'm pround to be an owner of a brandnew Joe Jr. The challange startes now with an Enders Monroe gasgrill and an Davy Crockett pelletgrill.
      Lets have a look whats happened.
    • By jannisg
      Hi folks,
      Bought a Kamado Joe Big Joe a couple of months ago and am loving it.
      I'm now wanting to get the Junior for those quick after-work dinners where all I'm cooking is a quick steak or a pork chop.
      I've all but decided that the size and type of cooker is the right thing for this but one thing I cannot work out is how people do reverse sears on the Jr without the divide and conquer system?
      When doing a big tomahawk steak I would normally set it on the indirect half of the big joe at 225F then crank the temp and sear it on the other side over the coals.
      Any tips on how people do this on a Jr would be great.
      Cheers!
    • By Paul
      Dec 7th Ace had the Jr on sale for 15% off and I spent all day at work pondering the purchase of this, turns out when I got home from work and got settled in I was 5 minutes past the deadline so I was not eligible for the sale price. Passed on the purchase that day.
      Fast forward to today. Decided to stop by a outdoor furniture and hot tub store(name purposely left blank) to check out the mini green egg. No sales price was listed at display. First question I asked sales lady was does it come with a heat deflector and was told all accessories were sold separately. She wrote down all the sku's and went to here computer and came back with the price $670.00 for the mini max egg with the place setter. I was totally blown away. She would not even come down knowing it was going to be a cash deal. I left without even knowing what price for the egg w/o the place setter
      I was so angry with the pompous salespeople at that store that I came home and promptly ordered the Kamado Joe Jr and paid full price without batting an eye
      If anyone knows the actual price of the mini max egg please let me know, I am convinced she was just giving me the high ball price. Needless to say I won't be stepping feet inside that store again
      I'll be enjoying the Jr next week
      Added note: for the Eggheads here, I have nothing but respect for the green egg product, it is the store that I had the issue with