• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

$3 Plate Lunch Challenge!   01/16/2018

Don't forget to participate in this challenge!!!    
Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Man Cave Pumpernickel

20171225_Pumpernickel-2.thumb.jpg.800350173ea223c432cde7e5a05169c4.jpg

20171225_Pumpernickel-3.thumb.jpg.e7f8754c86fd717f7fd205a79288300e.jpg

20171225_Pumpernickel-4.thumb.jpg.9a7052101f8d7edde7890113828d02a3.jpg

This is a modified version of the Pumpernickel loaf in Andris Lagsdin's "Baking with Steel" book...

365g bread flour
185g rye flour
22g unsweetened cocoa powder
9.5g sugar
12g sea salt
330g brewed coffee (I used 250g coffee and 80g water for a slightly less bold flavor)
45g molasses
45g olive oil
3g active dry yeast

Wisk together dry ingredients and add to the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attached.  Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix to get the molasses dissolved completely.  Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix with the dough hook on a slow speed until the dough comes together.  Knead on a medium speed for about four minutes.  Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and shape it into a ball.  Place it in a greased mixing bowl and cover with plastic.  Let sit out at room temperature for 24 hours.  After 24 hours, move the dough to a floured surface and shape into a tight dough ball.  Place seam side up in a floured brotform.  (I like to dust my brotform with a 50/50 mix of rice flour and whole wheat flour.)  Cover and let rest for 2 hours.  One hour before the bread has finished resting, preheat your oven to 425°F and place the Baking Steel or a Pizza Stone in the oven on a rack at about mid level.  When the bread has finished resting, transfer it to a pizza peel and place on the steel or the stone and cook for 30-35minutes until done.