Most of you who’ve been around a few years know this is the time of year that I go Full Griswald so I haven’t got a lot of cooking in recently. Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Turkey, then a nice Honey Baked Ham. Well last year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast and it was a big hit so we did it again this year.

My preparations started the night before when I made up some Horseradish Sauce. (This pic is from last year but it’s the same as what I did this year)

31526083430_6aa8d2ebc1_z.jpg

Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)

1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

pinch of cayenne

2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)                                                  

2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)

I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Tuesday.

38442579345_91b8e7fdc3_z.jpg

Early Sunday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it.

39290785772_78a50f7f40_z.jpg

Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)

1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
OO

39290790132_767f4f74d6_z.jpg

39290806932_1a691d8d2e_z.jpg

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

38442583235_74ec7a80cc_z.jpg

I applied the rub (paste)

25450909978_e9348f4ec0_z.jpg

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

25450919588_66f3e70ddc_z.jpg

Around noon I set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it come up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.

38612307184_24b073d872_z.jpg

While it was cooking we set the table from our guests.

39291851712_1fa6c84d33_z.jpg

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 1 minute per side.

38612315744_e009d65461_z.jpg

Here are some pics of me slicing it.

25450941778_1993df93ed_z.jpg

38442619965_62fb92dcfe_z.jpg

On the table on the Christmas platter.

39319657071_9806b6ab82_z.jpg

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “Pataskala Red X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

38612363584_63ffa55f7c_b.jpg

Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.

Thanks for looking.

I have only cooked a couple of prime ribs but the rub I used is the same you used.  I thought it was great and why would I use anything else?  It was a hit when I cooked it also.  That is now my go to rub.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      It’s been a while since I last cooked anything let alone posted a cook. Sorry for that but life is just very busy and hectic for us these days.  It’s also been a while since I’ve had Tri Tip and it recently went on sale, so I picked up this 3.79 lb. behemoth.

I took it out of the package and trimmed it up a little.

I them minced some fresh Rosemary from my garden.

I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally the minced Rosemary.

I wrapped this up in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 6 hours. I then made up some Tzatziki with I also let rest in the fridge for 6 hours.

Around 4:00 I started prepping the Redhead for the cook. I started by spreading a layer of red oak chunks in the bottom of the Vortex ring.

Around 5:00 I lit up a chimney of lump and poured it over the oak chunks. I place the Tri Tip off to the side and let it slowly come up to an I.T. of 113 degrees.

I then took it off and loosely tented it with foil. I then opened up the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear!  (Here a pic without the flash so you can see it)

I then placed the Tri Tip on the CI grate for 3 minutes per side.

I then brought this in and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While that was happening I sliced up some veggies.

I then sliced the Tri Tip in half along the seam where the grain chances direction.

I then thinly sliced each half across the grain.

OH YUM!

I had purchased some nice Pita bread so I made a Tri Tip Pita sandwich.

Delicious!
    • By elbatiger
      Ok folks I'm up against the wall. Tomorrow is our family reunion I had planned to cook - smoke two tri-tips, my butcher let me down... so I guess it will be pork again this year and be up half the night. Anyone have suggestions for beef that is comparable to tri-tip in tast, tenderness and time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ronny

• By Marbque
      Spent some time yesterday with just the wife and I making some beef ribs on out stickburner, first time in forever that we have not had to cook for an event, so it was nice to just be able to have some hot dogs for appetizer while waiting on these beef ribs. Hope everyone’s Sunday is enjoyable and relaxing enjoy

572E25BB-1878-40D9-8700-82BD2C854DE1.MOV

• By DerHusker
      When shopping and got some groceries we needed. Picked up some nice brioche buns and we made cheeseburgers on the Akorn Jr. again.  Sliced up the veggies.

Cooked up the burgers.

Assembled my cheeseburger and plated it with a slice of water melon, some pringles and a Modern Times Blazing World Hoppy Dank Amber.

Delicious.

Thanks for looking
    • By DerHusker
      SoCal has been scorching hot these last 3 days. Friday was 111 in the shade of my patio. Unfortunately this was the day my neighbor’s air conditioning decided to quit working. They brought over their dogs for us to try and keep cool while they worked on it and went out to eat to cool off themselves.

Saturday was 104 and Sunday was a were 100 so I braved the patio to cook something up. I’ve made a Buffalo Buffalo Smash Burger before that is IMHO the best burger ever. Unfortunately, our fridge quit working 2 weeks ago. It has since been repaired but my supply of pickled red onion went out with 3 trash bags of other food items so I decided to just use what I had on hand and make Smash Cheeseburgers.  

I stared out making some seasoned steak fries. I took 2 russet potatoes and cut each into 8 approximately equal wedges.

I then drizzled on some EVOO and seasoned them with salt, fresh ground black pepper and a little cayenne pepper.

I microwaved them for 6 minutes (stirring them every 2 minutes) to give them a head start on cooking. I then spread them out on a half sheet pan and placed it in the middle of my gasser with the burners on each side on high. (for an indirect heat of approximately 400)

With the fries cooking I turned my attention to the burgers. I took some Nice organically grown ground beef

and mixed in some diced onion and blue cheese crumbles.

I started up a 3/4 chimney of charcoal and poured it into my charcoal baskets.

I placed my C.I. griddle over them and let it get smoking hot.

I divided the ground beef into 4 roughly equal size balls.

Once the griddle was smoking hot I placed the balls on.

Once they had developed a nice crust I smashed them. I let them cook a few more minutes and then flipped them and cooked them approximately 3 more minutes.

After approximately 40 minutes the fries were ready.

Here it is plated up with a Modern Times Black House Coffee Rroasty Stout.

This was excellent!

Thanks for looking.