Big Joe or Classic

Will S.

3 hours ago, KamadoJosephine said:

Which Kamado would Confucius have picked, grasshopper...?

Lol, it’s “Freewill” by Rush.   Just like the line in that song that says 

“I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose Big Joe”....or something like that.

• 3 months later...

Greetings! Newbie here. Been trying to decide between a Blaze Kamado and Big Joe. Tough decision. The Kamado will be part of my outdoor covered kitchen. I'm a little concerned about the Blaze only being 20 inches as opposed to the Big Joe which is 24 inches. I smoke a lot of briskets and want to be sure I have enough room. I like some of the additional items that you can buy for the Big Joe but really like the style of the Blaze, plus it shouldn't ever crack like ceramic will. Thoughts?  

I'm not familiar with the Blaze, so I looked it up. Sounds like a solid version of my Akorn... a very different beast if they haven't addressed the heat conduction. Kamados stay cool. The Blaze will get very, very hot if it really is solid aluminum. It should also heat slower than ceramic, again, due to the good thermal conductivity of aluminum. 

On paper... I've not seen the unit and am making assumptions based on their marketing description. 

However, I can say for certain that one full packer brisket fits. The Blaze is the same 20" size as my Akorn, so it comes down to how many you need to cook at once. A 24" circle is 44% larger area than a 20" circle, but it fits a 13"x 20" rectangle. Two briskets will fit on the Big Joe, single level, so you could cook four if you set up two-level cooking.

Have fun,

Frank

3 hours ago, fbov said:

I'm not familiar with the Blaze, so I looked it up. Sounds like a solid version of my Akorn... a very different beast if they haven't addressed the heat conduction. Kamados stay cool. The Blaze will get very, very hot if it really is solid aluminum. It should also heat slower than ceramic, again, due to the good thermal conductivity of aluminum. 

On paper... I've not seen the unit and am making assumptions based on their marketing description. 

However, I can say for certain that one full packer brisket fits. The Blaze is the same 20" size as my Akorn, so it comes down to how many you need to cook at once. A 24" circle is 44% larger area than a 20" circle, but it fits a 13"x 20" rectangle. Two briskets will fit on the Big Joe, single level, so you could cook four if you set up two-level cooking.

Have fun,

Frank

It's a difficult decision. There are pros and cons to each.

14 minutes ago, GoHogsGo! said:

Usually 15 lb before trimming. 

Sorry I meant in length and width. You can work out if they'll fit or not :)

If you have one that's a bit too big, you can place a foiled brick in the centre, with the brisket curved over the top, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that all the time.

1 hour ago, Triggaaar said:

Sorry I meant in length and width. You can work out if they'll fit or not :)

If you have one that's a bit too big, you can place a foiled brick in the centre, with the brisket curved over the top, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that all the time.

HA! Not sure about length and width. I may go measure one at my local grocery store. That won't look weird or anything. :roll:

9 hours ago, GoHogsGo! said:

HA! Not sure about length and width. I may go measure one at my local grocery store. That won't look weird or anything. :roll:

You don't need to measure it there, buy the damn thing and take it home. You smoke a lot of them remember. Others can tell you what they manage to get on theirs, but I reckon you know the size you regularly buy more than anyone else, so just measure up :)

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2018 at 6:27 PM, prowe said:

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

Nice Rush reference.   RIP Neal..

I am trying to decide on whether I should drop the extra hundreds for the BJ or go with the classic.  I have a GMG Daniel Boone that I have been using for the past several years as my first venture into smoking and BBQ.  I still use my gas grill for steaks and high heat.  I am concerned with the space of the Classic as it the cooking space is nearly half that of the BJ approx (250 vs 450 sq inches).  Typical cook for me would be a couple racks of ribs, or a turkey, or a pork shoulder,  or a couple of chickens.   Thoughts?

Also, I have seen the BJ II on the Costco road show that can be had for about the same price as a Classic III (~1500).  Is there enough difference between the BJ II and BJ III to go the extra $1000?

7 hours ago, Boots said:

Nice Rush reference.   RIP Neal..

I am trying to decide on whether I should drop the extra hundreds for the BJ or go with the classic.  I have a GMG Daniel Boone that I have been using for the past several years as my first venture into smoking and BBQ.  I still use my gas grill for steaks and high heat.  I am concerned with the space of the Classic as it the cooking space is nearly half that of the BJ approx (250 vs 450 sq inches).  Typical cook for me would be a couple racks of ribs, or a turkey, or a pork shoulder,  or a couple of chickens.   Thoughts?

Also, I have seen the BJ II on the Costco road show that can be had for about the same price as a Classic III (~1500).  Is there enough difference between the BJ II and BJ III to go the extra $1000?

I know nothing bout the 3.  however when folks have asked me about the diff between the classic 1 and classic 2 being worth the price I generally tell them it is worth the price diff if you use it often. if you are only sparking it up 3 or 4 times on summer holidays save the dough. 3 or more times a week invest the extra dough, you will appreciate it in the long run no doubt.  

As you said, RIP. a great loss to us all.

Good luck man.