Jump to content

Likes Big Butts

Anybody know what this is?

Recommended Posts

Love my Akorn, and it certainly did its job of introducing me to Kamado grilling. I wonder what sort of accessories they might have for this? If and when my Akorn has smoked its last rib, I've always thought I would get a KJ Classic, really like the divide and conquer options, Joetisserie, etc.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, K'man said:

I wonder if this is something exclusive  Lowes at this point?  They seem to do that.  Like the cart model was to HD and various colour variations to certain chain stores.  I'd like to know more about the firebox design and of course their warranty.

 

The lowes site indicates that is not a lowes exclusive and also lists the warranty as a one year warranty. With this being a new grill that doesn't actually seem to be available for purchase yet who knows if any of that info is correct.

 

IMO, for Chargriller to hit a home run in the ceramic market they are certainly going to have to offer a better warranty than a single year. When my Akorn bites the dust I will likely upgrade to a ceramic model and chargriller entering the market at a nice price point is certainly interesting from my perspective. However a 1 year warranty wouldn't work for me if I'm going to spend twice as much for it as I would a metal akorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort of wish they had used their experience with steel kamado's and gone upscale w/ a higher-quality steel product that would last much longer than the 4-7 yrs an Akorn seems to get.  Since the cheapest Weber Summit Charcoal is about $1K, there's room in that market.  On the other hand, there are a lot of ceramics to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

 

The lowes site indicates that is not a lowes exclusive and also lists the warranty as a one year warranty. With this being a new grill that doesn't actually seem to be available for purchase yet who knows if any of that info is correct.

 

 a 1 year warranty wouldn't work for me if I'm going to spend twice as much for it as I would a metal akorn.

That's strange as Chargriller doesn't seem to be promoting it either.  

I could be mistaken but I think someone posted a reference to a Kamado like this before maybe from Australia or some other place other than N/A.

A 1 year warranty would not do it for me either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 540perry said:

I sort of wish they had used their experience with steel kamado's and gone upscale w/ a higher-quality steel product that would last much longer than the 4-7 yrs an Akorn seems to get.  Since the cheapest Weber Summit Charcoal is about $1K, there's room in that market.  On the other hand, there are a lot of ceramics to choose from.

 

I have a Keg 5000 which I would safely say is a better built metal kamado in every way compared to the Akorn but it's 3 times the price.  It has a 10 year warranty however at the end of the day I'm not convinced you are any further ahead buying a Keg.  I bought it for portability knowing I could move it around without fear of breakage.  It works well but for the last year it sits idle because of my Akorn Jr.'s  They cover most of the cooking I do but that's my situation and everyone has there own needs and budget.

 

It's great to have choices!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I owned an Akorn, I bought a KJ.  I imagine I'm not alone in this progression and Char Griller, having seen this happen time and time again, wants to capture some of those sales.  I had no complaints with the Akorn and quite frankly if this came out this past year I probably would have bought this one instead. 

 

Looking at it they seem to have done their research on what folks like about other ceramics and put them onto this one.  The rain covered top damper, solid covered shelves, removable ash bin, etc.  There are a few small issues like possibly the casters and not sure what the gasket is made of yet, but it's been thought out pretty well overall and especially at this price point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Likes Big Butts said:

I owned an Akorn, I bought a KJ.  I imagine I'm not alone in this progression and Char Griller, having seen this happen time and time again, wants to capture some of those sales.  I had no complaints with the Akorn and quite frankly if this came out this past year I probably would have bought this one instead. 

 

Looking at it they seem to have done their research on what folks like about other ceramics and put them onto this one.  The rain covered top damper, solid covered shelves, removable ash bin, etc.  There are a few small issues like possibly the casters and not sure what the gasket is made of yet, but it's been thought out pretty well overall and especially at this price point.

 

I see the potential issue with the casters as well. It seems like it would have been a better idea to go with four legs, rather than three. Seems that it could tip over somewhat easily with only the three legs. As far as the gasket goes, I really hope they stuck with same style gasket as the metal Akorn as it is one of the best on the market. I'm not typically a fan of the slide out ash trays either, as they typically leak air, hopefully CharGriller thought that through and it has a gasket and a way to lock it in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

 

I see the potential issue with the casters as well. It seems like it would have been a better idea to go with four legs, rather than three. Seems that it could tip over somewhat easily with only the three legs. As far as the gasket goes, I really hope they stuck with same style gasket as the metal Akorn as it is one of the best on the market. I'm not typically a fan of the slide out ash trays either, as they typically leak air, hopefully CharGriller thought that through and it has a gasket and a way to lock it in place.

KJ has the ash bin going in the bottom damper hole so the only air leak you get is whatever the bottom damper has. 

 

Didn't even consider 3 legs on a ceramic, that does seem to be a bit of a possible problem.  And a big one at that. 

 

I have an older gen KJ so I didn't get the new gasket, which is better.  I hope to find the parts to make the change someday in the future though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can verify that the three legs on the Akorn are a problem, a major problem...DAMHIKT...esp. if the latch is not secure. The Akorn-on-a-cart has a self activating latch which seems like a no-brainer. Esp. for someone whose brain is a little weary. :)

 

I suppose that with a ceramic and the weight of a ceramic dome, there must be an entirely different mechanism, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DWFII said:

I can verify that the three legs on the Akorn are a problem, a major problem...DAMHIKT...esp. if the latch is not secure. The Akorn-on-a-cart has a self activating latch which seems like a no-brainer. Esp. for someone whose brain is a little weary. :)

 

I suppose that with a ceramic and the weight of a ceramic dome, there must be an entirely different mechanism, though.

 

I have not had any issues moving my metal Akorn around with the three legs and casters, but I do always make sure the dome is latched, there is actually a warning label that I removed that states not to move the grill without the dome being latched. But yes, I could certainly see three legs being an issue with the added weight of ceramic, not really in the moving aspect of things, just the fact that three legs would be less stable than four if it was bumped into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the 3 legs as being an issue at all. I mean we've been plopping our fat butts down on 3 legged bar stools since the dawn of time. If you google "three legged stool" you'll get all sorts of scientific explanations of why three legs are more stable than four.  

 

https://www.uh.edu/engines/epi2533.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got back from Lowe's and ordered this grill.  I figured that it was a decent jumping off point into the Kamado lifestyle and will likely upgrade when it gives out.  None of the Lowe's stores around us have them in stock, but it will be here on Tuesday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jrpace25 said:

I just got back from Lowe's and ordered this grill.  I figured that it was a decent jumping off point into the Kamado lifestyle and will likely upgrade when it gives out.  None of the Lowe's stores around us have them in stock, but it will be here on Tuesday.  

 

Looks like you may be the first Guru to order this grill. Please give us a report after you receive it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...