PennHead

Gouda & Jalapeno Stuffed Tater Bombs

For the "Let's Take Sides Challenge! " I decided to try  Gouda and Jalapeno stuffed tater bombs  to go with a maple/sriracha glazed ham.

Most of the ingredients. 

20171216_153510.thumb.jpg.a58161562c0e4a6721ab84099d5d5a6d.jpg

I used an apple corer to make a hole completely through the potatoes  and stuffed them with jalapenos stuffed with Gouda cheese and wrapped the spuds in bacon.  ( Some of the smaller yukon golds I stuffed with a dragon cayenne pepper inside the jalapenos but they were scarfed down before I could get a photo.)  Added some olive oil, salt and pepper and wrapped them in foil.   While the ham was getting pretty on ole smokey  I put the tater bombs on Jr.  at 325-350 for around 40 mins.

20171216_165919.thumb.jpg.14e0cc7ebbb60c07ff3cd7031ecccbd3.jpg

20171216_164251.thumb.jpg.7c37cb5f00a3d731c34276ab23ec81b3.jpg

20171202_131026.thumb.jpg.3a410cf73410990577bcee6c11204f74.jpg

I hate to waste the residual cool down heat of ole smokey so I put a couple of the large tater bombs on her after the ham was done.

20171216_170028.thumb.jpg.5ed3ebd241f6e879db6f493e94ddb857.jpg

_1140676.thumb.jpg.33a37b623136ffbfb765140a7f37ec71.jpg

Plated pics

_1140698.thumb.jpg.2f57b314c8801945304e9a96a86b4d12.jpg

20171217_123213.thumb.jpg.edd49af557b9b12fec2ed9ba2a0067dc.jpg

20171217_123231.thumb.jpg.0298f7b496a8c201e1686fcb534226d4.jpg

_1140700.thumb.jpg.d49fa43f565f996b63470d9a52a91eea.jpg 

Thanks for looking.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I love new presentations of one bite appetizers..  Oh, wait you're not from Texas.  Those look great, I'm just imagining other things to stuff in there and, yes, wrap in bacon.  I really like the apple corer to open up some ideas with potatoes.

8 hours ago, daninpd said:

I love new presentations of one bite appetizers..  Oh, wait you're not from Texas.  Those look great, I'm just imagining other things to stuff in there and, yes, wrap in bacon.  I really like the apple corer to open up some ideas with potatoes.

Thank you,  seems like the possibilities of ingredients are endless.  I would recommend a heavy duty apple corer if you are going to use the large baking potatoes, they will wreck a cheap one.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      The Guru Moderators Challenged me to create a “Weave Your Way Through May”. I thought long and hard at what I could create.

Create something delicious by weaving ingredients together? At first, I thought

I kept thinking and then came to the “point” where an idea “stuck” with me.

If I had the correct ingredients

then

I studied up on my past cooks and if you will

I’ll provide you with a little educational reading and show you

I assembled most of my ingredients

Greased up my CI pie pan with some Crisco.

Did my crust weave in it

but it looked a bit

(Not my best work. I should’ve done this on the glass pie dish like last time but since the crust won’t show this was no biggy)
      Now I placed the glass dish in the CI dish to try to control shrinkage and keep its shape.

Now place it upside down on the kamado to let the bacon grease drain. I let it cook this way for 30 minutes.

While that was cooking I whipped up the egg, milk, sour cream and Bisquick

Once the bacon crust was cooled I placed in a layer of thinly sliced potato.

Now some slivered onion

and then the Hatch Chiles.

Now I added half the egg mixture and 1 cup of cheese.

I repeated this process and placed it on the kamado for 50 minutes at 300 degrees.

Here it is after 50 minutes.

I thought we could clink our glasses in a toast but alas it still wasn’t alive like I wanted

so I threw a little temper tantrum.

It needed one last ingredient

So I added a bacon weave on top of mostly already cooked bacon and cooked it an extra 10 minutes. (Didn’t want to deal with the shrinkage or the extra grease)

and in a last desperate attempt, I yelled out

Here it is after the additional 10 minutes.

IT’S ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!

Close-up with flash.

Without flash.

Today I cut a slice and heated it up for breakfast.

It was so delicious it had me dancing!

THE END!

• By St1brew
      My wife found some boneless spareribs on sale at our local supermarket.  I had some thick cut bacon that need to be cooked. So here is their beautiful marriage. Rubbed with Jake's grillin' coffee rub, cooked over indirect heat at 250°. Pulled when internal temp of 155° was reached(first time checking). Also cooked some bacon that was awesome as well. Here's some pics! The sparerib in the front was on the back of the grill, still great though.

• By Red River Smoke
      Made some snacks for the Vikes/Eagles game today super easy, really tasty. 
      1 lb bacon
      1 lb pretzel sticks
      1 cup brown sugar 
      1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

preheat grill to 350 F on indirect, put some foil down to catch the bacon grease. You can use about any kind of pretzel sticks, the large rods work well, those thin crunchy breadsticks work, I decided to try these Dots brand today, they are a local brand and have a flavor like seasoned salt and pepper baked in. They are short though so I cut my bacon into thirds, wrapped each stick and rolled it in brown sugar, you can't over sugar, It'll just melt off. Lightly sprinkle with cayenne and cook for 10 to 20 minutes, start checking about 10 though because they can go black in a hurry. I let them cool and serve, excellent with a beer!

• By Smokehowze
      Artisan Belly Bacon using a 'Sweet Cure'

For this bacon, I wanted to push up the sugar percentage in the equilibrium immersion cure more toward what some might refer to as a ‘Sweet Cure’ bacon at 6% sugars in the curing brine.  Just to give us a taste comparison to belly bacon using lower sugar concentrations in prior bacon batches. I also slightly increased my typical salt percentage up to 2.5%.  

The bacon flavor after the final fridge rest has become quite uniform and well balanced throughout the meat.  Quite good to eat freshly sliced (since it is fully "cooked") , but outstanding when carefully fried off at low to medium heat due to the higher sugar. It cooks and crisps nicely with the outer edges developing a nice caramelization.  It has a much sweeter finish on the palate when eating a slice.  Quite rich.   Quite filling. Great for breakfast, outstanding on BLTs.

This started out at just under 10 lbs.  I utilized an equilibrium immersion cure approach at the higher sugar level.  Cure #1, salt, brown/white sugar, and some fine ground black pepper in the brine.   Smoked in my converted electric kitchen oven smoker using a graduated time/temperature profile starting at 130 and not exceeding 170 degrees heat.   After immersion , a solid day in the fridge uncovered to dry.   Dusted lightly with fine ground black pepper before hitting the smoker.  A total cook time of 11.5 hours with 10.5 hours on the hickory smoke using pellets in my smoking maze. Internal meat temps were between 147 and 150. Yield after smoking was about 80% by weight from the initial meat weigh-in.

A 3 day fridge rest wrapped in peach butcher paper equalized the bacon and it firmed up nicely. Chilled for a bit in the freezer and sliced on the Berkel 827A at a thickness of 1/8 inch. Finally the bacon was chamber vacuum sealed in a mix of 1/2 and 1 pound packages.  Ready for future good eats.

The family says this recipe is a keeper. 

• By John Setzler
      Trying a Whole30 compatible bacon curing process... here's the video I am following...

I want to try this as is to start with and then I want to try it again with some added flavor seasonings...