PennHead

Gouda & Jalapeno Stuffed Tater Bombs

For the "Let's Take Sides Challenge! " I decided to try  Gouda and Jalapeno stuffed tater bombs  to go with a maple/sriracha glazed ham.

Most of the ingredients. 

20171216_153510.thumb.jpg.a58161562c0e4a6721ab84099d5d5a6d.jpg

I used an apple corer to make a hole completely through the potatoes  and stuffed them with jalapenos stuffed with Gouda cheese and wrapped the spuds in bacon.  ( Some of the smaller yukon golds I stuffed with a dragon cayenne pepper inside the jalapenos but they were scarfed down before I could get a photo.)  Added some olive oil, salt and pepper and wrapped them in foil.   While the ham was getting pretty on ole smokey  I put the tater bombs on Jr.  at 325-350 for around 40 mins.

20171216_165919.thumb.jpg.14e0cc7ebbb60c07ff3cd7031ecccbd3.jpg

20171216_164251.thumb.jpg.7c37cb5f00a3d731c34276ab23ec81b3.jpg

20171202_131026.thumb.jpg.3a410cf73410990577bcee6c11204f74.jpg

I hate to waste the residual cool down heat of ole smokey so I put a couple of the large tater bombs on her after the ham was done.

20171216_170028.thumb.jpg.5ed3ebd241f6e879db6f493e94ddb857.jpg

_1140676.thumb.jpg.33a37b623136ffbfb765140a7f37ec71.jpg

Plated pics

_1140698.thumb.jpg.2f57b314c8801945304e9a96a86b4d12.jpg

20171217_123213.thumb.jpg.edd49af557b9b12fec2ed9ba2a0067dc.jpg

20171217_123231.thumb.jpg.0298f7b496a8c201e1686fcb534226d4.jpg

_1140700.thumb.jpg.d49fa43f565f996b63470d9a52a91eea.jpg 

Thanks for looking.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

59 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Where has this been all my life!  I love this idea and have never seen anything like it before!  Awesome post and entry!

Thank you.

I love new presentations of one bite appetizers..  Oh, wait you're not from Texas.  Those look great, I'm just imagining other things to stuff in there and, yes, wrap in bacon.  I really like the apple corer to open up some ideas with potatoes.

8 hours ago, daninpd said:

I love new presentations of one bite appetizers..  Oh, wait you're not from Texas.  Those look great, I'm just imagining other things to stuff in there and, yes, wrap in bacon.  I really like the apple corer to open up some ideas with potatoes.

Thank you,  seems like the possibilities of ingredients are endless.  I would recommend a heavy duty apple corer if you are going to use the large baking potatoes, they will wreck a cheap one.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      My test run on Potato bread with roasted onion was very successful.    I used red onion and sliced them very thin and coated lightly with olive oil and then roasted them on my Kamado Joe Jr, and after that roasting was finished I also roasted yellow potatoes on my Kamado Koe Jr.     After the potatoes were done, I mashed them and allowed them to cool.    One thing I noticed was after adding the roasted onions to the final dough as it got incorporated into the dough it increased the hydration of the dough making it very sticky.  Hydration of dough before roasted onion added was 60% but after after roasted onions incorporated the dough felt like 75 to 80% hydration.

Test run on Roasted Potato bread with Roasted Garlic was successful.   I forgot to spray plastic wrap with oil and as a result top of loaf stuck to wrap which is why loaf top looks the way it does, and why the loaf is more square.  After removing the stuck wrap, the top collapsed about 1 inch so I gave an extra 10 minutes to proof before baking on my Kamado.   Taste and texture very good.   I think if I were to pair with about 2% rosemary the resulting loaf might be excellent in flavour,  very happy with this test run.  Garlic flavour very good and not overpowering.   Next week my test run will be with Roasted Potato bread with Roasted Onions.

Rosemary roasted potato bread - test run successful.    Hydration 61%, fresh rosemary at 1 %, hard red spring whole wheat flour at 15%,  Hard white wheat artesian flour at 85%, roasted potatoes at 25%.  Taste is very nice, rosemary not overpowering,   Might try again at 2% later next year.    Still need to improve my shaping so line in bottom not visible.   If this was entered in to bread baking contest I would lose some points.  Everything else would score decently. This is another success as far as I am concerned for taste, crumb, texture and moisture.  

Temperature outside was -9C,   Made sure final dough temperature after final kneading at 75 F.

Here is my test run on Roasted Potatoe bread, hydration is 61% with  Hard white artesian flour 85%, 15% whole wheat flour from hard red spring wheat and 25 % roasted yellow potatoes.   I still need to practice fendu shaping, you can see in picture fendu shape not right yet.  The dip in middle needs to more like a u shape. Only Pate Fermentee was not in pictures otherwise all other ingredients where.  Taste is very nice with roasted potatoes as part of the bread. 

• By DerHusker
      With the “Just Stuff It!” Challenge going on I searched for what might be on sale at one of the local stores. Sprouts had U15 shrimp on sale for $7.98 per lb. so I purchased a pound. I decided to prepare  them my two favorite ways of cooking shrimp. The first is what I call Atomic Shrimp. (Which is bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with cheddar cheese and a slice of jalapeño. As the jalapeño doesn’t make it very “Atomic”, I switched it out for slices of serrano chilies.  Here are most of the ingredients.

I peeled and deveined the shrimp and then butterflied them. I also sliced the cheese and serrano chilies.

I carefully placed the cheese and serrano in the shrimp and wrapped them with a slice of bacon. Once I had 10 of them done I placed them on the preheated kamado.

I grilled them for approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side and once the bacon looked crispy I plated the 5 biggest ones up with a cilantro garnish and a Negra Modelo. Here are those pics.

Delicious!!!!!

I had 9 shrimp leftover so I skewered them,

sprayed they with some EVOO and sprinkled them with some Tajin seasoning.

Grilled them for approximately 3 minutes per side.

Here are the plated pics with the Negra Modelo.

These were also delicious but not quite as good as the bacon wrapped ones.

Thanks for looking.