Gouda & Jalapeno Stuffed Tater Bombs

PennHead

For the "Let's Take Sides Challenge! " I decided to try  Gouda and Jalapeno stuffed tater bombs  to go with a maple/sriracha glazed ham.

Most of the ingredients. 

20171216_153510.thumb.jpg.a58161562c0e4a6721ab84099d5d5a6d.jpg

I used an apple corer to make a hole completely through the potatoes  and stuffed them with jalapenos stuffed with Gouda cheese and wrapped the spuds in bacon.  ( Some of the smaller yukon golds I stuffed with a dragon cayenne pepper inside the jalapenos but they were scarfed down before I could get a photo.)  Added some olive oil, salt and pepper and wrapped them in foil.   While the ham was getting pretty on ole smokey  I put the tater bombs on Jr.  at 325-350 for around 40 mins.

20171216_165919.thumb.jpg.14e0cc7ebbb60c07ff3cd7031ecccbd3.jpg

20171216_164251.thumb.jpg.7c37cb5f00a3d731c34276ab23ec81b3.jpg

20171202_131026.thumb.jpg.3a410cf73410990577bcee6c11204f74.jpg

I hate to waste the residual cool down heat of ole smokey so I put a couple of the large tater bombs on her after the ham was done.

20171216_170028.thumb.jpg.5ed3ebd241f6e879db6f493e94ddb857.jpg

_1140676.thumb.jpg.33a37b623136ffbfb765140a7f37ec71.jpg

Plated pics

_1140698.thumb.jpg.2f57b314c8801945304e9a96a86b4d12.jpg

20171217_123213.thumb.jpg.edd49af557b9b12fec2ed9ba2a0067dc.jpg

20171217_123231.thumb.jpg.0298f7b496a8c201e1686fcb534226d4.jpg

_1140700.thumb.jpg.d49fa43f565f996b63470d9a52a91eea.jpg 

Thanks for looking.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

8 hours ago, daninpd said:

I love new presentations of one bite appetizers..  Oh, wait you're not from Texas.  Those look great, I'm just imagining other things to stuff in there and, yes, wrap in bacon.  I really like the apple corer to open up some ideas with potatoes.

Thank you,  seems like the possibilities of ingredients are endless.  I would recommend a heavy duty apple corer if you are going to use the large baking potatoes, they will wreck a cheap one.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JWoodyNE
      TL;DR - Homemade apple wood smoked jalapeno bacon is easy and awesome!  (http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2010/10/home-cured-jalapeno-bacon/)

My wife and I have a Red Beans and Bacon dish we absolutely love, that we've always made with jalapeno bacon sourced from a local supermarket.  Unfortunately during pandemic-times they stopped carrying it, and they don't know if it will ever come back.  We were nearly resigned to using "normal" bacon, until I found the recipe from Chaos in the Kitchen (above).

We picked up a 3.5# skin-on pork belly from the local Super Saver, made up the brining solution, and parked it all in the cold box for a week.  Then smoked it at 200F to internal temp of 150F with a chunk of apple wood.  In order to slice it, I put the finished bacon in the freezer for 40 min, which allowed me to cut 'thin enough' strips with a sharp knife for burgers.  For the Red Beans and Bacon, I cut 1/4" strips, then knocked those down into lardons.

The bacon had more jalapeno flavor than heat.  We might try adding some birdseye pepper power to subsequent attempts to amp it up a bit.

Here's Alton Browns Red Beans recipe we modified (we omit the rice entirely and instead serve dish with deluxe cornbread, and we substitute the pickled pork with jalapeno bacon):
      https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/red-beans-and-rice-recipe-1943443

[In some of the comments on the DIY bacon page, folks mentioned it's "not really" bacon because it hasn't been "cured".  Perhaps that's correct, but my bacon lasted 7 days in fridge just fine post smoking, so I think I'm good with the finished product regardless of the name]

• By USFSSmokey
      So just bought my first KJ Classic II.  Coming over from a Traeger. (Sold it) But was wondering how low of a temp can you achieve with the KJ without the fire going out.  I bout the FireBoard and fan system to go with it.  Delivery is tomorrow and want to get cooking.  First burn though is just going to be charcoal, no food.  Just messing with vents to see how it reacts to things.  In the mean time, I read and dream of all the delicious food that is to come..

• By KamadoMax
      This is one of my favorite burgers to make at home. Super simple and packed full of flavor.

Ingredients"
      - 1 pound 80/20 beef
      - Your favorite bacon
      - Pepper jack cheese
      - Buns of your choosing
      - Jalapeños 
      - Burger/steak seasoning  

Sauce Ingredients:
      -  1/2 cup Mayo
      - 4 Chipotle peppers with sauce  
      - 1 tablespoon Tobacco 

Form 4 meatballs and smash them on the grill, we're making a double stack. Cook until you get. a good crust, flip and cover with cheese. Top with bacon, jalapeños, and place on bun with spicy sauce and enjoy! 

• By loki
      Waiting, waiting, waiting for the Kamado Big Joe to arrive. Nothing.

Welp, expecting friends from out of town this weekend and can wait no longer. So, I picked up a Weber Summit Charcoal grill (kamado style) along with a Pit Viper fan. Once the Big Joe arrives I'll have two Kamados!

Anyhow, I tried the new Fireboard 2 Drive on this grill along with a Pit Viper fan for a hot smoked pork belly session.

I was in a bit of a rush to get things going so I used the fan to stoke the coals up to temperature with a target of 225F. With the Weber bottom vent fully closed and the top vent 1/4 open, the temperature initially overshot about 15 degrees. I brought the temperature down by opening the lid briefly when adding the belly and to make other adjustments (the dips in the graph).

Once things were settled in, though, the temperature was regulated on the order of tenths of a degree around the 225F target . That's pretty awesome.

Sitting at the computer typing emails and monitoring the temperatures on a browser. With the Fireboard 2 Drive and the kamado, this set-up has better performance and regulation than our kitchen oven.

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      I got Irving Farms to cut for me two Berkshire side pork roasts to be in range of 1.39 to 1.58 kg.  I let them know I was going to use it for making bacon so they removed skin for me and sold for same price I was quoted.    I am following basic recipe with same tile in book Project Smoke.   For sugar portion I used maple sugar and cure was FS1, and instead of using ziplock bags I vacuum sealed each pork side side after applying brine to each side and placed remaining brine into each bag and distributed it before sealing.    Once curing done in 6 days, I will rinse well with water, pat dry and then air dry in refrigerator for 12 hours and then I will smoke for 4 hours.   I meantime I and turning over at least twice every day.