Bronson

Cooking in cold weather

Well old Santa left me a Kick Ash Basket under the tree. Although I talked to Santa before Christmas and told him I wanted one I was opening my last gift and by the weight of the package I thought old Santa had failed me. Imagine my surprise when I opened it an there it was. Man those things are heavy and well built. 

I want to give it a try but our outside temps here have been in 20’s & below for several days. 

Will I have any problems with my KJ cooking at these extreme temps?  I don’t want to take the chance of cracking or damaging my grill in any manner. Thanks!

From Bronson:

Will I have any problems with my KJ cooking at these extreme temps?  I don’t want to take the chance of cracking or damaging my grill in any manner. Thanks!

In a word, No, I don't believe so. Some of our cooking brothers and sisters  up in Canada and Nova Scotia would look at temps in the 20's and below as pretty much summer. Living in Arizona, you would not think I've cooked in the cold, but actually, living at 5,800 ft,   I have cooked on my egg a number of times at temps of 20 and down to 5 degrees. (5 was the coldest day I have ever seen here, and occured a couple of Feb's ago, I cooked a crown roast of pork that day and it turned out great) We used to have a member from Wisconsin who would have to wear crampons on his shoes just to walk across the ice to get to his Joes in the back yard. I remember him cooking in some frightfully cold temps. I am sure some of the folks in colder weather locations will give you some more detailed information. In my experience, ceramic cracks from rapid temp shifts. Things like putting a room temp stone  directly into a pizza temp kamado, or the opposite setting a hot stone in a pile of snow on an outdoor table. Gradual temp increases, and decreases over time, are pretty safe. My two cents anyway.  I found a couple of posts on cold weather cooking. 

I really don't have cold weather cooking experience in the below zero range, but I have seen posts of guys in Canada with a handful of beers stuffed in a patch of snow on a table, clad in ugg boots, gloves, golf shorts, a down jacket, and a mad beaver winter hat with an attached head lamp , grilling and smiling all the while. Maybe Canadians have aniti freeze in their blood streams? But they are one hearty crew:)

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I really don't have cold weather cooking experience in the below zero range, but I have seen posts of guys in Canada with a handful of beers stuffed in a patch of snow on a table, clad in ugg boots, gloves, golf shorts, a down jacket, and a mad beaver winter hat with an attached head lamp , grilling and smiling all the while. Maybe Canadians have aniti freeze in their blood streams? But they are one hearty crew:)

Lol...here in New England we do it with a handful of beers stuffed in a patch of snow in some shorts and flip flops.

1 minute ago, Panchango said:

Cold weather is a big part of why I shelled out for a ceramic cooker in the first place.  I was very tired of fighting to maintain a temp on my gasser or kettle grill and didn't want to give it up for the winter. Here are a few pics from last February.  Don't be afraid of a little cold and/or snow....

Compared to Canuckistan, it doesn't even get that cold here.

snow1.thumb.jpg.965cb17140baa6c4a39ce57cc3c5bb65.jpg

snow2.thumb.jpg.a91847c583f5829fe120c3818cf83003.jpg

snow3.thumb.jpg.74172514b79387352d4c2434c723e064.jpg

snow4.thumb.jpg.053514335c4b0e59fcfa5bfbaf92ac50.jpg

You, brotha, can hang out with us New Englanders when Eva ya want!   Like I said, shorts and flip flops a must.

1 minute ago, prowe said:

You, brotha, can hang out with us New Englanders when Eva ya want!   Like I said, shorts and flip flops a must.

Cheers.  I had a couple beers stuffed in the snow banks.  No problem with shorts, but I hate that thing between my toes with flip flops :)

Ok. So I have a ton of cooking pictures and lots of snow pictures. But not so much snow cooking pictures. Apparently my common sense  has prevailed more so than I would have expected over the years. I have to go down the icy steps of my deck and around the sloped sidewalk to get to my grills. Usually don’t tote anything extra with me. Less to break that way if I fall - which sadly happens more often than one would think or expect...

8 minutes ago, Panchango said:

Im partially motivated by my vertically challenged dogs.  I have to be out clearing snow so they have a spot to go besides the hallway floor because the snow is too deep.  Here are Gunnar and Ms. Spike in the race track I made for them.

GunnarSpike.thumb.jpg.ed4768f95434e1dab9c574457475ed2d.jpg

Super cute!  My dog is plenty big, but if I don’t shovel the deck off she will take one step out the door and do her business and run back inside. As a long as the deck is clear she will go down the stairs and into the yard.... and usually manages to stay on her feet better than I do.