Got my first butt going

7hrs in and an IT of 155*, I open up for first time and give it quick spritz of apple juice. Akorn temp has been up and down between 230-260. Left the bottom vent alone at about .75 since the start and very so slightly tweaking the top about an 1/8” either way about once an hour. It’s gusty here this morning so I imagine that is contributing to the variances as well but hey what fun would it be if I couldn’t tinker with it right? Can’t wait to get this bad boy off later.

A9D1021D-6480-441F-8747-4D2A53869FD4.jpeg

I was very happy with how it turned out.. great flavor and the texture was spot on.  My original plan was to not foil but once it hit the stall at around 160 I had no choice but to foil in order to get it finished in time for the friends and family that were coming over. I would have preferred more bark so next time I’ll allow for more time. 10hrs was the total time plus another 1hr  to rest in the cooler. Thanks for all the positive feedback I can’t wait for the next one.

F341B55A-47C0-4835-BA51-3F53ABA7298F.jpeg

Nice cook. Butts are the best way to get into smoking as they are so forgiving...and dang good.

You could always crank up the temp if you don't want to wrap. I cook butts at/over 300F all the time. No wrapping, no stall, shorter cook time, and tasty end product. Wins all the way around.

12 minutes ago, SmoovD said:

Nice cook. Butts are the best way to get into smoking as they are so forgiving...and dang good.

You could always crank up the temp if you don't want to wrap. I cook butts at/over 300F all the time. No wrapping, no stall, shorter cook time, and tasty end product. Wins all the way around.

I thought about doing that but was scared it would dry out the meat, I will defiantly try that next time. Do you start out low and crank it up a few hours in or do you start that high?

Awesome looking butt. And for whatever reason, I also find 300 to be fine for butts (haven’t been brave enough to try it for brisket and I don’t think I will). I could literally tell no difference between a butt cooked at 225 and one cooked at 300. May dry out of you get a real thin butt, but I rarely cook thin ones.