I've recently moved from Australia to an apartment in California that has no area to do any cooking (I had to leave my KJ classic behind). Before I go out and replace my KJ with another classic or big joe at the next Costco roadshow, I was hoping to find some way of loading a kamado onto the back of my truck single handed so I can transport it to the local sports club at the weekends and do some grilling. I don't want to invest in a new Kamado only to find I can't transport it, I know there's smaller more portable versions, but i'd like to be able to cook for more than just a few people.

So , Has anyone here seen one of these in the flesh?

http://heathauler.com/

This popped up in a google search but I've never seen or heard of it before so was hoping someone here has. It looks like an awesome idea but i'm just wondering how sturdy it is and whether i'm likely to end up underneath it when unloading!

Interesting idea. It seems reasonably easy to load a mounted Kamado into a truck and a little less easy to unload. So, at point A and point B, all seems good. What about from to point A to point B. I would be very hesitant to have a ceramic cooker banging around in the back of a truck, even if the hauler and cooker were well strapped down. How about a Joe Jr., BGE Mini or Minimax, or Akorn Jr.?

I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly!) that the cradle has some sort of locking mechanism to stop it swinging about when you're not moving it so would hope it'd be reasonably sturdy once it was strapped down. You're right, any sort of vehicular incident would still probably end up badly though!  

I'm looking at reasonably regularly cooking for 20-30 people though so the smaller grills just aren't going to cut it unless I bought about 10 of them!

8 minutes ago, Bachman 5 said:

If it was me and wanting to transport on a regular basis I would go the Big Steel Keg route with the hitch attachment.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.04182f12c4bd2928d0f62020e1fd4ef9.jpg

YES!!!   What Bachman said!  Full sized kamado and wicked portable. Well built. It is my humble opinion the keg is the best kamado there is for those who feel portability is something they need. It was my first, and I still love it even with a couple joes doing the lions share of the fixed location cooks.

58 minutes ago, prowe said:

YES!!!   What Bachman said!  Full sized kamado and wicked portable. Well built. It is my humble opinion the keg is the best kamado there is for those who feel portability is something they need. It was my first, and I still love it even with a couple joes doing the lions share of the fixed location cooks.

....and that was the reason why I bought the 5000 before moving from Ontario to Newfoundland.

I was going to post about this a few months ago but figured you guys had already heard about it. He's been working on this for a couple three years. I see he's changed the name and the framing a bit. I wouldn't be worried about the swinging as much as some type of shock absorption. Thanks for the i see he's finally updated it.

2 hours ago, Bachman 5 said:

If it was me and wanting to transport on a regular basis I would go the Big Steel Keg route with the hitch attachment.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.04182f12c4bd2928d0f62020e1fd4ef9.jpg

Haven't seen these before! I'm assuming it's just as versitile and good for pizza \ smoking etc as a KJ?

40 minutes ago, PeterRegan said:

Haven't seen these before! I'm assuming it's just as versitile and good for pizza \ smoking etc as a KJ?

Its not exactly the same as a KJ. It is crazy insulated, so gets hot real quick...but .temp can fluctuate a bit more than a KJ.  Bit of a trade off. Not a huge trade off, similar...not exactly the same.   It’s a great cooker man. So is KJ.  So is several others. This one is easy to transport. I’m a KJ  fanboy for sure. Full disclosure...my store sells both KJ and kegs. I have sold a bunch of KJs. Never a keg. (Except to myself) But if somebody comes in asking bout a kamado they can transport...keg all day. 

Btw...I’m no salesperson, but will help out with sales on products I believe in.  Bk keg and KJ both fit that criteria.

Both my son and I have a keg and he has used the hitch attachment several times.I have a Vison also but use the keg more for hot quick cooks and the vision for larger cooks, a bit more grill space. Both kegs are several years old and still work get. I bought mine off C-list a couple years ago for $200. He has done allot of smoking on his, where I use my large stick smoker for that.

You will probably see both of those carts and a host of home made carts and gizmos to transport Big Green Egg at Egg Fests. Folks who go to Egg Fests regulary have been dealing with the need to come up with something to help them move full size Eggs and lessen the chance of droping and breaking them in the process. Personally i would go with the Big Keg Option. 

Another option, if you want the more consistent temps of ceramic versus a metal cooker you could just buy your ceramic of choice to keep at home and then go buy an Akorn for transport. You can get the Akorn for less than that cart costs and it would be highly unlikely to actually break it during transport. I'm not saying you may not ding it up a bit (that seems to happen with anything that is transported regularly) but it would still be usable even if you did damage it. A ceramic not so much, without something to absorb shock, hitting a common pothole could crack it.