Not sure where this idea that a ceramic is more consistent holding temps than a metal cooker comes from. Having had a Keg for 10 years I don't have any problems holding temps in any range.

And I don't worry about taking my cooker down a flight of stairs...

14 hours ago, Rip said:

Not sure where this idea that a ceramic is more consistent holding temps than a metal cooker comes from. Having had a Keg for 10 years I don't have any problems holding temps in any range.

I was reading yesterday on the keg forum and came across quite a few different posts of people having issues with temp control, I do however suspect that some of them might be new to kamado style grills in general and others were having issues with leaks.

I'm pretty sure that after reading all the concerns about fragility (even though i'm still not convinced!) combined with the height of the cart/frame + grill when loaded in the truck (i need it to be lower than my rooftop tent frame) that I'll go the Keg route, IF I can actually find one in a store to poke around at before I shell out the cash to buy one. I saw a KJ Classic on craigslist today for $600 too so will probably end up with both :/

On 1/4/2018 at 8:44 PM, Rip said:

I don't have any issues holding temps within the cooking range I want with my Akorn at all, I love the Akorn personally and it's probably the best value on the market, especially when you catch them on sale. However I do believe that ceramics are more forgiving when it comes to temperature swings due to the thermal mass. It takes the ceramics longer to become heat soaked, as well as cool down, so it only makes sense that they are less likely to have temperature swings. That said, my Akorn will hold +/- 25 degrees of my target temp while I'm sleeping through a pork shoulder cook, so I have no issues with that myself. It does seem like a lot of others struggle with figuring out how to maintain temps on their metal Kamado's though, which likely has more to them not leaving the dampers alone than an actual problem with the Kamado itself.

4 hours ago, JDEaston said:

I don't have any issues holding temps within the cooking range I want with my Akorn at all, I love the Akorn personally and it's probably the best value on the market, especially when you catch them on sale. However I do believe that ceramics are more forgiving when it comes to temperature swings due to the thermal mass. It takes the ceramics longer to become heat soaked, as well as cool down, so it only makes sense that they are less likely to have temperature swings. That said, my Akorn will hold +/- 25 degrees of my target temp while I'm sleeping through a pork shoulder cook, so I have no issues with that myself. It does seem like a lot of others struggle with figuring out how to maintain temps on their metal Kamado's though, which likely has more to them not leaving the dampers alone than an actual problem with the Kamado itself.

All good points, thanks. I  believe all the current ceramics and steel Kamados are more than adequate to do what any of us need. It's just a matter of learning how to run the particular grill. I've had my Bubba Keg for about 10 years, it still throws curves at me occasionally, but we're slowly coming to terms...