Beermachine

How sharp is your filet knife?

I find a good filet knife does not have to be really expensive although I do own one that is and others that aren't.  Coming up against bone will take a really fine edge off pretty quick.  The trick is to be able to sharpen your knife equally as fast.

The edge on the knife in the video is great for skinning a filet.

Well, to answer the question- no, I also need a filet knife. But, I remember seeing a few youtube videos a while back that demonstrating the same thing. If I recall correctly, they didn't use a filet knives in the videos. I've tried it with my Shun with limited success during a knife sharpening demo for my men's group last month. That bend  in the blade makes a huge difference.

watch some of this guys videos and you may realize it is not a fillet knife that you need, at least for fish cleaning.  He is amazing.  I think he could get a meal from filleting a minnow.     I have one of the skinning knives and really like if for fish.  

Sea Trout are very plentiful here and they're great eating.  I've never seen anyone use I knife that style to clean fish but he certainly does a neat job with it.  That's a good video.