Homemade Bacon; Cured, Smoked, and Grilled

BEER-N-BBQ by Larry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Was that hot smoked or cold? Looks yum either way. I cold smoked 5kg of back bacon (from the loin) last night for 8 hours, giving it 24 hours rest in the fridge then hitting it again with another 8 hours of cold smoke. Will give it a few more days in the fridge after that before slicing and more importantly eating it! 

On 10/9/2018 at 4:46 PM, BEER-N-BBQ by Larry said:

This would be considered hot smoking. Cold smoking would take days. Plus, I'd use Prague Powder #2 (with nitrates) if cold smoking. Prague Powder #1 (with nitrites) is only for hot smoking.

Not strictly true, prague powder #1 is for things that need to be cooked before eaten i.e. bacon. Prague #2 is for charcuterie that is effectively eaten uncooked (but cured of course) such as bresaola or whatever

Cold smoking does take longer sure but over night with a cold smoke generator like the ProQ one or similar gives a good 8-10 hours of smoke and once through is enough for a lot of people. I usually do 2 runs with a 24 hour rest in between.