• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

$3 Plate Lunch Challenge!   01/16/2018

Don't forget to participate in this challenge!!!    

I know there has been some debate on cooking on a cast iron gate vs stainless steel, but I've come to dislike the cast iron. I'm sort of a lazy griller in that when I'm done grilling I just want to shut it down and come back a couple hours later to throw the cover on and I do a lot of pizza so I'm constantly burning the seasoning off. So I ordered this stainless grate off of Amazon and for $42, it's a really good investment for me. Much sturdier than I expected, very well made fits like OEM.   I'll still use the CI for some things, but this stainless will be my everyday grate. https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Inches-Cooking-Kamado-Ceramic/dp/B075T3BL29/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_pd

F0E121AD-8AD7-4D3B-AF55-293DE5228BB3.jpeg

DEB3407C-1B4F-4BEC-9E9B-B45ECC061539.jpeg

23 hours ago, Red River Smoke said:

For me with all the pizza I do, lots, constantly reseasoning that CI. Oh and I didn't intend to include it but you can see the busted center section of my CI grate in the one picture. 

Gotcha. I think I'm too much of a carnivore to have ventured into pizza territory yet!

RRS that's a really nice looking grate.  I'd like to have the option of SS or C/I.  I remove my cooking grate when doing pizza opting for a 2 stone method but everyone has their own way doing things.  Seems like a good buy to me.

1 hour ago, K'man said:

RRS that's a really nice looking grate.  I'd like to have the option of SS or C/I.  I remove my cooking grate when doing pizza opting for a 2 stone method but everyone has their own way doing things.  Seems like a good buy to me.

Do you have a pic of your "2 stone method" for the Akorn? I want to do pizza frequently and I like CI for most other cooks so...

PS...I have the smoking stone. Will your two stone method work with it?

54 minutes ago, DWFII said:

Do you have a pic of your "2 stone method" for the Akorn? I want to do pizza frequently and I like CI for most other cooks so...

Oddly I don't have a picture of my 2 stone method, but I've been putting the Smokin' Stone on top of my main grate and then I found a pizza stone that fits the warming rack perfectly (it is a little small for a large pizza) and that gives a nice air gap while also getting the pizza high enough to get the top and bottom done at the same time, sometimes I have to turn the pizza 90 degrees or something. This is the pizza stone I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7WILD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, DWFII said:

I have two Jr's and a Keg so my set-up for the Keg may or may not adapt to the standard Akorn.  See the attached video.  The drip pan they use is quite heavy and porcelain coated.  I know this option of the kit would sit easily on a smoking stone for LNS cooks allowing you to catch drippings.

As for the pizza set-up look at the diffuser rack when it is inverted.  I suspect it would either rest on the Akorn bowl or the tabs or bottom out against the sidewalls of the fire bowl.  Then it's just a matter of arranging two stones one above the other with spacers in between.  The advantage to a rack of this design is that it gets your pizza elevated into the dome and evens out the top and bottom cooking.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiHmrC0mNDYAhVH62MKHRzXDaoQtwIIPDAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.broilkingbbq.com%2Fvideos%2Fkeg_accessories%2Fdiffuser&usg=AOvVaw2RmdtjHE9_Rt2v4uSfSKlH

At what temp are you guys cooking pizza at that you're running into problems with the cast iron grate? I've done pizza cooks as well as high temp sears for steaks and have never had to re-season my grate from those cooks, I just spray the grate down with oil after the cook and shut the vents, letting the oil soak in while the grill comes down in temp. It's really not much work at all and leaves me with a nice shiny, non stick grate the next time I fire it up to cook. The one time I did have to re-season was because the wife was going to cook burgers, lit the grill and walked away. By the time I caught on that she wasn't tending to the grill it was already well past the 700 degrees that the thermometer reads.

For what it's worth though that is a pretty nice looking grate and as others mentioned before, go with what works for you. I'm just curious about the kind of temps you all are cooking pizza and such at, or if maybe it's an issue that the grate needed a little more seasoning before such a high temp cook. I've made it a habit of lightly spraying my grate after most cooks, it only takes a few seconds and the results are great.

I'm normally doing pizza at 500+ on the top stone which is closer to 600+ on the main grate.  I know I could shut is down for a while and then go spray the grate when it gets back to a more reasonable temp, but like I said, I'm kind of lazy in that when I'm done cooking I just want to shut it down and not think about the grill after that.  If the cast iron is working for people that's great, I just am not a big fan on a grill grate, but I do like my CI pans.

7 hours ago, Red River Smoke said:

I'm normally doing pizza at 500+ on the top stone which is closer to 600+ on the main grate.  I know I could shut is down for a while and then go spray the grate when it gets back to a more reasonable temp, but like I said, I'm kind of lazy in that when I'm done cooking I just want to shut it down and not think about the grill after that.  If the cast iron is working for people that's great, I just am not a big fan on a grill grate, but I do like my CI pans.

Completely understandable. There are times where I don't get around to spraying mine as well, or even putting the cover on for that matter on late night cooks. It seems like every time I don't get around to covering it, it rains. That's eventually going to cause my lower bowl to rust out, but it is what it is, I'm not going to be complaining when it happens as it's my fault.