jrpace25

The Lowe’s fairy delivered a day early!!!

Interesting they changed up the grate, it's the same size surface so you could buy that one for the metal too if that's your thing.  Thanks again for the pics and review, I find this to be a very interesting development.  I've preached the gospel to all my coworkers about the Akorn and this just makes options even better.

13 hours ago, Likes Big Butts said:

Interesting they changed up the grate, it's the same size surface so you could buy that one for the metal too if that's your thing.  Thanks again for the pics and review, I find this to be a very interesting development.  I've preached the gospel to all my coworkers about the Akorn and this just makes options even better.

My father inlaw is coming to visit us in 2 weeks and he's huge on grilling but he is like how I used to be. We just used weber's 22" that we bought for 20$ at the end of season when target marked them down. They do fine job and all but holy hell I am in love with the akorn. Using no lighter fluid is a huge thing for starters. Not having that taste appear by wild accident is great. But then just the sear you get with the akorn .. that's a thing in it's own right. I grilled a #### ton before.. my steaks were good god delicious but with this akorn? 10x better easily. Much juicier than i could have ever hoped to get.. and on top of that if I want I can give the steaks a nice like charring sear while keeping it red and bloody? Yes pls, no one ever cooks it like that but it's how I prefer my own steak.

I fully plan to convert him when he comes up here. Taking him to costco so we can get a huge selection of meats, as they will be here for a week and it will be 8-9 of us in total so plenty of people to cook for. By the time he goes back to florida im going to have him getting either the entry metal model or just splurge and get the ceramic they just released, or a vision depending on how the reviews for the new akorn pan out.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, jrpace25 said:

I noticed some "cracking" on the lid, but I am not sure if this is me being overcritical or if this is normal for ceramic coatings.

Hi jrpace25,

I saw this cooker for the first time this AM at a local Lowe's (Chesapeake, VA.). I had been reading your post about it yesterday, so I gave the exterior finish extra attention when looking it over. The one they had on display did not have any of the "cracking" as noted in your pics anywhere on the finish. The exterior finish was what one would expect it to look like on a new cooker.

I just wanted to make you aware in case you felt any further action may be warranted on your part.

That being said, it seems like a REALLY nice cooker.

Thanks for such an informative / detailed post. Well done! 

I wish you the best of luck with your new cooker and am looking forward to your cook reviews.

YB

10 minutes ago, Yankee Bill said:

Hi jrpace25,

I saw this cooker for the first time this AM at a local Lowe's (Chesapeake, VA.). I had been reading your post about it yesterday, so I gave the exterior finish extra attention when looking it over. The one they had on display did not have any of the "cracking" as noted in your pics anywhere on the finish. The exterior finish was what one would expect it to look like on a new cooker.

I just wanted to make you aware in case you felt any further action may be warranted on your part.

That being said, it seems like a REALLY nice cooker.

Thanks for such an informative / detailed post. Well done! 

I wish you the best of luck with your new cooker and am looking forward to your cook reviews.

YB

Thanks for the info @Yankee Bill.  I think I’m just going to let it ride.  It doesn’t change form, fit, or function, so I’m ok with it.  

5 hours ago, DaddioWA said:

My father inlaw is coming to visit us in 2 weeks and he's huge on grilling but he is like how I used to be. We just used weber's 22" that we bought for 20$ at the end of season when target marked them down. They do fine job and all but holy hell I am in love with the akorn. Using no lighter fluid is a huge thing for starters. Not having that taste appear by wild accident is great. But then just the sear you get with the akorn .. that's a thing in it's own right. I grilled a #### ton before.. my steaks were good god delicious but with this akorn? 10x better easily. Much juicier than i could have ever hoped to get.. and on top of that if I want I can give the steaks a nice like charring sear while keeping it red and bloody? Yes pls, no one ever cooks it like that but it's how I prefer my own steak.

I fully plan to convert him when he comes up here. Taking him to costco so we can get a huge selection of meats, as they will be here for a week and it will be 8-9 of us in total so plenty of people to cook for. By the time he goes back to florida im going to have him getting either the entry metal model or just splurge and get the ceramic they just released, or a vision depending on how the reviews for the new akorn pan out.

I started with the Akorn with no real background in grilling and the first time a friend of mine came by while I was cooking a brisket he got curious.  He was used to stick burners that you had to tend to constantly.  We were outside for probably 2 hours drinking beers and chatting it up when he was suddenly like "Hey, you haven't even looked under the lid this entire time".  The idea that you didn't have to manage it every 20 minutes was completely foreign to him.  Then he had some of the brisket and said it was the best he had ever had.  I have converted 2 close friends who are now on this forum, my brother and one guy at work.  Safe to say, I've done my part to evangelize.

8 minutes ago, jrpace25 said:

Thanks for the info @Yankee Bill.  I think I’m just going to let it ride.  It doesn’t change form, fit, or function, so I’m ok with it.  

Yeah, that's what I figured as well, just wanted to give you a FYI.

Good luck, that's a sweet cooker you've got. I know she'll turn out some great food.

YB

2 hours ago, jrpace25 said:

@Likes Big Butts:  Here’s a pic of the bottom shelf correctly installed!! Good lookin’ out!62DC0148-1A96-45F6-8B3F-7CFC7FA82718.thumb.jpeg.90be0aed8ebaf5c5bb9cfd172da94e0e.jpeg

If it were mine I would flip it back over. No reason to have sides to keep moisture in even with the holes. When I saw the pics at Lowe's I thought it was a mistake.

Enjoy the cooker!

3 minutes ago, SmoovD said:

If it were mine I would flip it back over. No reason to have sides to keep moisture in even with the holes. When I saw the pics at Lowe's I thought it was a mistake.

Enjoy the cooker!

Yeah, the wrong way looks right to me. I’d prob flip it back unless it don’t fit right that way.

7 minutes ago, SmoovD said:

Enjoy the cooker!

I think it will ok for me.  I live in a townhouse so the grill comes in the garage after each use.  Collecting moisture shouldn’t be an issue for me.  Now charcoal, chimney starter, etc falling off of the shelf when I roll it out, that’s another story.  YMMV.

Someone mentioned either earlier in this thread or in the other about the design change in the grates. It makes me wonder if CharGriller may be working on a multi level system similar to the Divide and Conquer system that KJ uses for the ceramic Akorn. I may be completely overthinking things because CharGriller isn't known for having many accessories, but it's just a thought.