• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

$3 Plate Lunch Challenge!   01/16/2018

Don't forget to participate in this challenge!!!    
Sign in to follow this  
KismetKamado

Cornbread

Inspired by ckreef’s challenge entry, and with a whole lot of bbq on my hands from my Fireboard Drive experiment, I decided to make cornbread. So I went with the Jiffy and Small can of cream corn approach. Added thinly sliced jalapeños just for fun....

Used my cast iron skillet with the handle lopped off to fit in Akorn Jr. It’s handy for a number of things. But tonight it was resigned to oven duty instead of kamado  duty....

0C781F08-FC07-41A7-BA83-1AB576F49443.thumb.jpeg.06996827558c0257747ad0da295b88e7.jpeg

566CD382-CB34-4D3B-8900-0BB8D528ACAD.thumb.jpeg.7538ca95c19afd3e799f2abc8f47c055.jpeg

2DD9D6BF-7E2C-414E-B27C-A832F0D705BF.thumb.jpeg.43fe80782ff55e5be7fa854ac7b43901.jpeg

Looks good and smells good. Can’t wait to try some tomorrow with some leftover brisket and pulled pork. 

19 hours ago, ckreef said:

Looks fantastic. Love the addition of jalapeno's. 

Best cornbread I have ever made.... hands down... my go to recipe from here on out.... Thanks for posting this and single handedly saving my family from sub-par cornbread from here on out.... :)

4 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Best cornbread I have ever made.... hands down... my go to recipe from here on out.... Thanks for posting this and single handedly saving my family from sub-par cornbread from here on out.... :)

All credit goes to @skreef. Her recipe and my favorite too.

I was going to say I bet you guys have several great options to choose from as far as recipes go. I think I might be geographically disadvantaged in this area. I have never made anything that would be considered decent, so to have something turn out so well was amazing. I envy those that have the tried and true old recipes... something to be treasured for sure!

58 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

I envy those that have the tried and true old recipes... something to be treasured for sure!

Mrs skreef has a tried and true old recipe. But to be honest about it, I like that Jiffy recipe better. A recipe doesn't get any easier and it just tastes good time and again. At this point it's the only version we make. Next week when my son goes back to college we'll add some jalapeños. 

If you get a chance pickup a muffin top pan. They make the perfect Cornbread medallions.  I think you can find them in the baking section of Hobby Lobby. (called something different - scoon pan?) 

3 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I was going to say I bet you guys have several great options to choose from as far as recipes go. I think I might be geographically disadvantaged in this area. I have never made anything that would be considered decent, so to have something turn out so well was amazing. I envy those that have the tried and true old recipes... something to be treasured for sure!

I have recepies I have cooked over the years. I throw them in a meal once in a while so as to not scare ckreef off. Hes Northern and Im Southern.. But it seems to work. I got a few cooks that he likes now and the corn muffins are one. The name of the pan is called "Muffin Tops" I believe. 

1 hour ago, skreef said:

I have recepies I have cooked over the years. I throw them in a meal once in a while so as to not scare ckreef off. Hes Northern and Im Southern.. But it seems to work. I got a few cooks that he likes now and the corn muffins are one. The name of the pan is called "Muffin Tops" I believe. 

Bingo!  I think you’re right on muffin top being the name of the pan!

And you’re worried about scaring off the person who made you eat chicken feet????? :)

42 minutes ago, tsh0ck said:

we like the jiffy - definitely easy. I make my own sometimes. but as far as prepackaged goes, Famous Dave's is one I actually have come to like the best.

Do you do the creamed corn adder?  Because I feel like that is the game changer on this....

24 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Do you do the creamed corn adder?  Because I feel like that is the game changer on this....

I haven't ... usually some jalapenos. I'll have to do a side by side with em with the corn added in. but Dave's is pretty solid. 

7 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Bingo!  I think you’re right on muffin top being the name of the pan!

And you’re worried about scaring off the person who made you eat chicken feet????? :)

Guess you got a point and alot of cooking unmentionables he brained up.. Lol