Turbineator

Big Joe upper dome seating to lower half

Before I installed a new gasket, I noticed that I could see into the joe from the left side.  What I mean by this is that I could see inside the joe and when I closed my vents to turn off the fire, it took twice as long to cool down.  I figured this issue was due to an old worn gasket, so I installed a new gasket.  Well, it made a huge improvement with the new gasket, however, I still have a slight air gap on the left side.  It’s a paper thin air gap and I can completely close it by pushing down on the handle.  It isn’t ideal to have to press down on the handle so that it seals 100%.  This is the older Big Joe, so I don’t have the latch that the new one has.

Question:  What do I adjust to make sure the upper and lower half dome lid have 100% contact?

the band on the lid.  Loosen the band for the lid, push down so it sits and closes your gap, and then tighten the band back up.  Be patient when you do this and do not open the lid until the band is tight.

UTVol, your recommendation worked  like a champ.  I'm surprised I haven't found a video that shows this simple adjustment as it's probably the most common on the older Big Joe.  That being said, to further add to your recommendation, after I loosened the band, I had to wiggle it to break it loose as this was the first time I'd loosened the band since I bought it.  I assume the band was "stuck" to the ceramic paint.  Once it was loosened, I was surprised I had to push down fairly strong on the upper dome to close the gap.  Holding it down, I tightened the band and the Big Joe has a 100% seal all the way around.  Thanks again!