Ron5850

Which pizza stone do you use?

21 hours ago, Ron5850 said:

I actually have a Fibrament baking stone in my oven that has been in there for the last 5-6 years. It's fantastic! We made lots and lots of pizzas on it as well as bread and stuffed breads, calzones and more. 

Thanks for all the input on the stone for the kamado! I'm leaning towards  the old stone oven pizza stone.

Nobody mentioned it so I will, it's worth considering a stone from "Ceramic Grill Store".  I have had one for ~2 years now and it is rock solid.

Cordierite "Kiln" shelves (new not used) for ceramic firing kilns from my local ceramics shop are my favorites.  I said local shops as generally shipping is cost prohibitive.  Comes in square and round shapes in full and half sizes in differing diameters and dimensions.    I like to have the "pizza stone"  air-gapped above the deflectors with 3/4 to 1 inch ceramic kiln posts.  Prices used to be quite good on the kiln shelves in caparison to the retail pizza stones but prices have gone up over the last few years.   

The Cordierite shelves are also useful as heat deflectors due to their construction, material and thickness.

I recently bought a pair of these 10" stones.  I'm not happy with them for Kamado use, they're too thin.  It's hard to keep temps stable especially in our windy winter climate. 

I much prefer something with more thermal mass.  Never used a steel.  I would like to try one.

IMG_1820.JPG

On 1/18/2018 at 6:35 PM, philpom said:

Nobody mentioned it so I will, it's worth considering a stone from "Ceramic Grill Store".  I have had one for ~2 years now and it is rock solid.

Thanks. I'm  interested in a large stone and  I see a large 19" pizza stone on their site. 

On 1/14/2018 at 7:38 AM, K'man said:

I don't think you can beat the two stone set-up with an inch or so air space in between the stones.  I'm not sure after that it if makes that much difference on the stone as long as it was intended as a  pizza stone.........

I have always used the original heat deflector, and a KJ pizza stone from 2013 with about an inch between them.

I simply put three 7/8" copper elbows arranged in an equilateral triangle on top of the heat deflector and the pizza stone on top of that. We cut parchment paper to match the pizza stone. Works great.

Everyone likes the pizzas so well, I was disappointed when I had to change to the KJ-FCR Flexible cooking rack due to the firebowl cracking and the original deflector doesn't fit the rack like it did on the old triangular deal.

Just the other day it occurred to me that I can just set the heat deflector on the regular grill and use it the same way. Haven't tried it yet, though.

After the first few pizzas and people commenting "theirs was too done/not done enough" I resolved that issue by having them come look at the pizza and tell me when to take it off. No comments about done/not done since then.