Ron5850

Which pizza stone do you use?

I love pizza. I've done a couple of pies on my BJ using an old pizza stone I have. But I've been thinking about buying a soapstone to replace it because of its versatility of what I can cook on it.

I have a bunch of pizza stones. My preferred one is an Old Stone Oven pizza stone. About $40 from Amazon, so a bit pricier than a lot of other stones. But is is a solid and thicker workhorse, compared to a lot of $20 stones (which I have a few of in various states of brokenness).

Another alternative is a pizza steel (Baking Steel). I get great results with it in the oven and in the kamado. 

I don't think you can beat the two stone set-up with an inch or so air space in between the stones.  I'm not sure after that it if makes that much difference on the stone as long as it was intended as a  pizza stone.

@SmallBBQr not detracting from what you said. I just haven't tried a steel but I'm thinking they could easily work as well if used place of the upper stone.  The two stone idea just makes the cooking surface more uniform temperature wise with less sudden variation.

Edited by K'man

The thing about the steel or a CI griddle for pizza is, as @John Setzler said, is that a pizza stone will "pull" a little moisture out of the crust...making it crisper.

For those who like a crisp crust  (and dislike a soggy crust) a pizza stone is the way to go...IMO.

1 hour ago, DWFII said:

The thing about the steel or a CI griddle for pizza is, as @John Setzler said, is that a pizza stone will "pull" a little moisture out of the crust...making it crisper.

For those who like a crisp crust  (and dislike a soggy crust) a pizza stone is the way to go...IMO.

It's a good theory, but I don't buy into it based on my experience.  Based on the results of probably a hundred pizza cooks, I get crispier crusts from steel.

Another post by @John Setzler  here shows an amazing steel-cooked crust and his comments.  This is consistent with my results.

Well, I defer to you...and/or @John Setzler if that is indeed his position. I am no expert and an absolute clueless newbie when it comes to pizza on the kamado.

That said, my wife has been making pizza in a regular oven on a regular basis for over 40 years. And we get a crispy crust (and one that stays crispy) every time. We attribute it to a pizza stone we had thrown for us that self same 40 years ago. We have tried steel pizza sheets (the one with all the ventilated holes) and it's just not the same.  (oh and she also uses a pretty generous amount of sauce...which in my experience  can contribute to soggy crusts...and "sprinkles" EVOO on the top during the cook.)

FWIW....

I like the pizza stones and I like the baking steel.  They are different and each produces great results.  Get one or the other and start cooking :)  

MOST of the pizza I cook is on a Kamado Joe pizza stone.  I added this to my arsenal this weekend:

20180113_BakingStone.thumb.jpg.7d26adc29f02201b755d0bd7cc665b92.jpg

It's a pizzacraft 13.5x20 baking stone.  

Whether a pizza crust is 'crisp' or 'crisper' or the 'perfect level of crisp' is subjective for sure.  I can't sit here and tell you that a stone or a steel produces better results.  The steel has one significant advantage in my opinion if you are cooking multiple pizzas..  It recovers heat loss and delivers consistent heat over multiple pizzas better than a stone.  On single one-off pizza cooks (which is mostly what I do) you can't tell a difference under standard conditions.  

Measure less.  Cook more.

:)

I actually have a Fibrament baking stone in my oven that has been in there for the last 5-6 years. It's fantastic! We made lots and lots of pizzas on it as well as bread and stuffed breads, calzones and more. 

Thanks for all the input on the stone for the kamado! I'm leaning towards  the old stone oven pizza stone.