ckreef

Jaccard - Mrs skreef Made Me Do It

Finally pulled the trigger on a Jaccard. 

Was in Academy Sports today. Went down the BBQ accessories isle and was looking at a Jaccard. Mrs skreef said, "Just go ahead and buy it. We can stop using the fork method." You don't have to tell me twice - LOL 

Jaccard.thumb.jpg.03fa145a4ee0a9ec66ade3f942158219.jpg

7 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

This is hilarious. You could just buy your meat from Costco. They tenderize just about everything! :-D

Jaccard actually sells a super large all SS commercial version complete with it's own stand. 

6 hours ago, deity6667 said:

I’ve never used or seen one even. What are the pros and cons?

People use a fork to poke a bunch of holes in various meats. That allows a marinade to get down into the meat. Gives meat more of the marinade flavor. It also sort of breaks up the meat which itself makes it more tender. This is sort of an automatic version of the fork method. 

There is a huge debate about doing this (fork or Jaccard) because in theory you could push surface bacteria (that would normally get killed by the cooking process) down into the meat where it might not get killed off if you don't thoroughly  cook the meat. People have been fork tenderizing meat since the dawn of cooking with utensils so I don't really subscribe to this argument. 

As @CentralTexBBQ pointed out a lot of commercial meat comes mechanically tenderized from the store. There are a couple of threads somewhere on kamado guru about all this.

4 hours ago, ckreef said:

People use a fork to poke a bunch of holes in various meats. That allows a marinade to get down into the meat. Gives meat more of the marinade flavor. It also sort of breaks up the meat which itself makes it more tender. This is sort of an automatic version of the fork method. 

There is a huge debate about doing this (fork or Jaccard) because in theory you could push surface bacteria (that would normally get killed by the cooking process) down into the meat where it might not get killed off if you don't thoroughly  cook the meat. People have been fork tenderizing meat since the dawn of cooking with utensils so I don't really subscribe to this argument. 

As @CentralTexBBQ pointed out a lot of commercial meat comes mechanically tenderized from the store. There are a couple of threads somewhere on kamado guru about all this.

thanks - i'll look them up. i'm thinking the texture can change as well?

I just used mine today.  I put a section of brisket flat in a pastrami brine/cure.  Hitting it with the jaccard before going into the cure will ensure that I get a complete cure, an I would probably actually be able to cut the curing time in half by doing this.  I will still let it ride in the cure for 7 days :)

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I just used mine today.  I put a section of brisket flat in a pastrami brine/cure.  Hitting it with the jaccard before going into the cure will ensure that I get a complete cure, an I would probably actually be able to cut the curing time in half by doing this.  I will still let it ride in the cure for 7 days :)

John - I am very curious if you really think a cure time could be cut-down after using a tenderizer. That would be awesome!

2 hours ago, brandon78 said:

John - I am very curious if you really think a cure time could be cut-down after using a tenderizer. That would be awesome!

Absolutely.  I know it will reduce the time.  How much, I don't know.  I am not doing it for the purpose of reducing the time.  I am just using it to ensure I get a complete cure.  Last time I did a pastrami, I left it in the brine for 7 days but there was a small segment in the center of the meat that didn't get cured.  This will resolve that.  If I had to take a guess at how much time you could knock off THIS cure, I would take a guess at going 5 days instead of 7 but there is no way to really know without slicing into the brisket and having a look at various stages in the cure.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:50 AM, ckreef said:

I've started using one of those corn on the cob skewer/holder dealios. 

13 hours ago, tsh0ck said:

I've started using one of those corn on the cob skewer/holder dealios. 

You’re like the Macgyver of kitchen accoutrements.... there’s nothing you can’t do with just a 20 year old set of miracle blades and some corn cob dealios! ;)