Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • John Setzler

      Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

      The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

      Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

      The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

      You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

      You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

      Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
ckreef

Jaccard - Mrs skreef Made Me Do It

Recommended Posts

Finally pulled the trigger on a Jaccard. 

 

Was in Academy Sports today. Went down the BBQ accessories isle and was looking at a Jaccard. Mrs skreef said, "Just go ahead and buy it. We can stop using the fork method." You don't have to tell me twice - LOL 

 

Jaccard.thumb.jpg.03fa145a4ee0a9ec66ade3f942158219.jpg

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

This is hilarious. You could just buy your meat from Costco. They tenderize just about everything! :-D

 

Jaccard actually sells a super large all SS commercial version complete with it's own stand. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deity6667 said:

I’ve never used or seen one even. What are the pros and cons?

 

People use a fork to poke a bunch of holes in various meats. That allows a marinade to get down into the meat. Gives meat more of the marinade flavor. It also sort of breaks up the meat which itself makes it more tender. This is sort of an automatic version of the fork method. 

 

There is a huge debate about doing this (fork or Jaccard) because in theory you could push surface bacteria (that would normally get killed by the cooking process) down into the meat where it might not get killed off if you don't thoroughly  cook the meat. People have been fork tenderizing meat since the dawn of cooking with utensils so I don't really subscribe to this argument. 

 

 As @CentralTexBBQ pointed out a lot of commercial meat comes mechanically tenderized from the store. There are a couple of threads somewhere on kamado guru about all this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ckreef said:

 

People use a fork to poke a bunch of holes in various meats. That allows a marinade to get down into the meat. Gives meat more of the marinade flavor. It also sort of breaks up the meat which itself makes it more tender. This is sort of an automatic version of the fork method. 

 

There is a huge debate about doing this (fork or Jaccard) because in theory you could push surface bacteria (that would normally get killed by the cooking process) down into the meat where it might not get killed off if you don't thoroughly  cook the meat. People have been fork tenderizing meat since the dawn of cooking with utensils so I don't really subscribe to this argument. 

 

 As @CentralTexBBQ pointed out a lot of commercial meat comes mechanically tenderized from the store. There are a couple of threads somewhere on kamado guru about all this.

 

thanks - i'll look them up. i'm thinking the texture can change as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just used mine today.  I put a section of brisket flat in a pastrami brine/cure.  Hitting it with the jaccard before going into the cure will ensure that I get a complete cure, an I would probably actually be able to cut the curing time in half by doing this.  I will still let it ride in the cure for 7 days :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I just used mine today.  I put a section of brisket flat in a pastrami brine/cure.  Hitting it with the jaccard before going into the cure will ensure that I get a complete cure, an I would probably actually be able to cut the curing time in half by doing this.  I will still let it ride in the cure for 7 days :)

John - I am very curious if you really think a cure time could be cut-down after using a tenderizer. That would be awesome!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brandon78 said:

John - I am very curious if you really think a cure time could be cut-down after using a tenderizer. That would be awesome!

 

 

Absolutely.  I know it will reduce the time.  How much, I don't know.  I am not doing it for the purpose of reducing the time.  I am just using it to ensure I get a complete cure.  Last time I did a pastrami, I left it in the brine for 7 days but there was a small segment in the center of the meat that didn't get cured.  This will resolve that.  If I had to take a guess at how much time you could knock off THIS cure, I would take a guess at going 5 days instead of 7 but there is no way to really know without slicing into the brisket and having a look at various stages in the cure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 5:50 AM, ckreef said:

 

People use a fork to poke a bunch of holes in various meats. That allows a marinade to get down into the meat. Gives meat more of the marinade flavor. It also sort of breaks up the meat which itself makes it more tender. This is sort of an automatic version of the fork method. 

 

There is a huge debate about doing this (fork or Jaccard) because in theory you could push surface bacteria (that would normally get killed by the cooking process) down into the meat where it might not get killed off if you don't thoroughly  cook the meat. People have been fork tenderizing meat since the dawn of cooking with utensils so I don't really subscribe to this argument. 

 

 As @CentralTexBBQ pointed out a lot of commercial meat comes mechanically tenderized from the store. There are a couple of threads somewhere on kamado guru about all this.

 

 

I've started using one of those corn on the cob skewer/holder dealios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tsh0ck said:

 

I've started using one of those corn on the cob skewer/holder dealios. 

 

You’re like the Macgyver of kitchen accoutrements.... there’s nothing you can’t do with just a 20 year old set of miracle blades and some corn cob dealios! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×