Cafolla1

akorn JR smokin stone vs bbqube deflector?

Neither is a drip pan. The smoking stone has some amount of thermal mass. The bbqube is thinner which would give you a little more height for a drip pan and is definitely cheaper. Tough call. 

how important do we think the thermal mass is in these cookers?

My Primary grill is a kamado joe, so full of thermal mass, that is why i lean to the stone... that said the bbqube deflector is about 1/3 cheaper. and Picked up the akorn Jr for a song as it is... would almost feel silly spending more on a smokin stone than i did for the cooker, but if it is that much better I am willing to

The Akorn Jr is so responsive to vent adjustments that "thermal mass" probably isn't needed.  I just cut some expanded metal to make a grate to sit on the lower tabs, and put a foil-covered pie pan on it to deflect/drip-catch.  The temps stay where I want them, much like my Akorn Sr.

I have two Jr's.  One smokin stone.  I think they're great.  Here we have weather, I like the thermal mass.  I use an aluminum pie plate on the smoking stone to catch drippings.  I also have a cast iron fry pan that I cut the handle off.  I made a triangle out of 3/16" round rod to span the tabs on the bowl and sit the pan on it.  It's thermal mass and a drip pan all  in one.  It works well but after high heat cooks the pan needs to be oiled to prevent rust.  It's not really great to use as a fry pan now but it does a great job as a diffuser/drip pan, cheaper than a smokin stone too.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, Cafolla1 said:

how important do we think the thermal mass is in these cookers?

My Primary grill is a kamado joe, so full of thermal mass, that is why i lean to the stone... that said the bbqube deflector is about 1/3 cheaper. and Picked up the akorn Jr for a song as it is... would almost feel silly spending more on a smokin stone than i did for the cooker, but if it is that much better I am willing to

what did you end up going with?

I went with the BBQube Heat Deflector off Amazon, It definitely doesn't deflect heat like the Ceramic Stone does however I can easily add or remove this without worrying whether it will break or not is pretty incredible. For me the Akorn Jr was a $35 purchase so spending over $40 for a stone was a little ridiculous, I would highly recommend the metal version any day of the week, I have purchased additional BBQube Heat Deflector's as presents to friends. I hope this helps in your decision makings...

Happy Grilling.....