Afore Mentioned Brisket Cook

1 hour ago, KismetKamado said:

Looks like it was worth the wait. 

That breakfast was pretty amazing. Biscuits from a Cook's Illustrated recipe; eggs with plenty of cheddar. I'm going to replicte it tomorrow. :-D

1 hour ago, Smoke and Awe said:

It's one thing to cook in snow when you do it all the time, but I'm guessing you don't!  So congratulations on a successful cold cooked brisket for the love of your daughter.  That looks perfect, wow.

Thanks, I have a lot of winter cooks under my belt but never this nasty out. Not really any noticeable increase in lump consumption either. The Big Joe just chugged along all night impervious to it's surroundings. I love Kamado cooking!

What's that white stuff everywhere? But seriously, for some strange reason, something on my family bucket list is a white christmas. I think it must be all the media from that other hemisphere and, until recently, we seemed to insist on having these really heavy roast meals with all the trimmings for Christmas, and it would be 40 C outside!

Oh, and to be on topic, I would eat at that restaurant!

13 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

Oh, and to be on topic, I would eat at that restaurant!

Hey they have fantasy football and baseball leagues, maybe the Gurus need to start making reservations and eating in our fantasy restaurants...just saying.  Reservation for 2 please, Saturday morning at 10, sunny side up eggs with that brisket and biscuits.

23 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

The planned 29° Brisket cook was postponed due to necessity and has now become a 9°, 7 inches of snow Brisket Cook. 

IMG_2860.thumb.JPG.f04dfc684a511da9a62c54e24fa8d3f3.JPG

IMG_2861.thumb.JPG.cc0681a895525112bf5ccfdf6a6b06de.JPG

Reminds me of home.  

Great cook BTW.  Briskets are not easily available here so I haven't cooked one now in 3 years.  I miss it.  

Edited by K'man

1 hour ago, K'man said:

Reminds me of home.  

Great cook BTW.  Briskets are not easily available here so I haven't cooked one now in 3 years.  I miss it.  

Aw man, no brisket availability? I don't think I could tolerate that. What alternatives do you have when you want to cook large hunks of meat, pork butts?

5 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Aw man, no brisket availability? I don't think I could tolerate that. What alternatives do you have when you want to cook large hunks of meat, pork butts?

Pork butts are not that common here either.  Pork Shoulder and Sirloin Tip.  Honestly as I've aged I'm more into fish and chicken, less red meat.  I know I know I'd get kicked out of Texas but what can I say?????????????:-D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      Does anyone have any experience with grilling whole squid? I toured my local "international" (their term) grocery store today and one item I saw was fresh whole squid. 

I'd like to take a crack at grilling it, but don't want to waste money winging it. Any tips/guidelines you have would be appreciated! Happy grilling 
    • By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?
    • By Go Apps
      Soon I'm going to smoke a 12lb. brisket on my Big Joe using my new
      FireBoard
      . I plan on cooking overnight. Would I need to wrap, or just let it go for 12 hours or more?
    • By social assassin
      Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for any tips on how to cook a full packer brisket on my KJ Classic 2.  To date I have only smoked brisket twice; one time each of the Point & the Flat.  After seeing them in person at Costco it doesn’t look like it will fit on my KJ.  How do you make it work?

I am not sure if I posted this question in the correct thread.

Take Care,
      Pablo 
    • By MurphyBBQ
      Cooking my first brisket on the KJ Classic 2 and had a lot of trouble with thick white smoke. My process below, if anybody can help me find the mistake it would be much appreciated!

- Loaded KJ with Jealous Devil lump charcoal and mix ~5-7 oak log chunks of medium (?) size. Logs were highly likely kiln dried but I did get them in firewood-like logs from a meat market vs the mass distro grocery store/home improvement bags
      - Used Royal Oak starters and got the lump lit for about 15 minutes, then a couple of the oak chunks caught and I got a decent fire.
      - Closed the top but opened the vent fully to try to let it smoke out and carbonize. Temp jumped pretty quickly to about 350 so I choked it back and got it stable around 260 but the thick white smoke continued for a solid 45+ minutes at which point I had no choice but to start the meat
      - White smoke continued for another hour+ after this, albeit it didnt billow out quite as aggressively. This went on for a couple of hours at least which seemed like an excessively long time.

Thoughts? Advice?
      Thanks!