Joe JR efficient for my goals?

RRL

Hey guys,

So ive done a fair share of reading... but mainly on the usual topic that's probably been abused relentlessly here.  BGE VS the classic joe or various others....

As much as I would LOVE to have a full size kamado and more so decided on going with the Kamado joe over others such as the BGE ive found that 1600 doesnt really fit my budget one bit...

Other then the Joe Jr not coming with the side tables and a rolling stand...  is it sufficient as a primary cooker? 

I currently own a basic gas grill (nothing fancy by anymeans) and I also own a digital 4 rack Bradley smoker which I tend to use only on weekends when I have the time to do low and slow.

Been pretty keen on picking up a charcoal BBQ / smoker but dont want to end up with something too small as these seem pretty darn small! 

on week days I'm only cooking for 2 for the time being but usually always make extra so I have left overs for lunch during the week.    So 3-4 chicken breaks or half a dozen sausages, ect...

Is the Joe Jr sufficient in size for your avg home cooked meal or is it more of a side cooker for lets say a single steak or what not? 

Thanks in advance!

Even the JR is fairly expenisve here ringing in around 599 at lowes. but quite a bit easier to deal with vs the 1599 price tag on the classic 2

@RRL

The Joe Jr and other similar sized kamado grills are pretty versatile if you take the time to get to know them.  They are rather limited in space.  They have the same amount of cooking space as the Weber Smokey Joe.   They are 14" grills.  Cooking for two is quite easy usually on a Jr.  You can get two burgers, two steaks, or two chops or other cuts of meat on for a direct grill with no problems.  You have to get really creative if you want to have the option for direct and indirect cooking on such a small grill.  You will have to fabricate your own solution most likely.  Cutting the 14" grill in half for a two zone setup really minimizes the amount of space you have to cook two steaks.  

If you want to cook entire meals for two on a grill, I would recommend something larger.

2 cents worth. Over the years I have made do with smaller grills. I pulled some miraculous cooks for friends on a small  8" Hibachi.

The turning point was when we had friends over on a Memorial Day one year. More people invited than ever. I envisioned being out of miracles for cooking whatever people wanted to bring other than burgers or brats/hot dogs which I had a plan for (some cooking in advance).

I went out and bought a Weber Kettle grill. Good thing too. 95 per cent of the adults showed and brought steaks, as they figured no matter what, my grilling skills, seen on a previous occasion, would produce a great cook. Yikes.

Hung onto that Weber until I got an Akorn on a great sale, and the glorious world of Kamados.

All that said, take a look at the Akorn. I think someone posted, they even have a ceramic one now.  Either not too expensive.

This time of year, one might find a "fire sale" deal somewhere.

I am now a KJ "cheerleader" but more so a Kamado  "cheerleader".

M.

14 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

But you can get a Classic KJ (not II) D&C for $1499

Good Point, but:

"Even the JR is fairly expensive here ringing in around 599 at lowes. but quite a bit easier to deal with vs the 1599 price tag on the classic 2"

Lowes don't sell KJs in Aus

Yea I am in Canada Ontario. 

Prices for the KJ classic II is 1599

I found a KJ classic for 1299 but still not THAT great of a deal per say...

I was taking a peek at akorns but Lowes or anywhere I looked local didnt carry them... It seems like lowes discontinued the akorn to go to KJ's.

I do plan on preferably going new so I can retain the warranty as I know it doesnt take much to crack these. 

as for the ace hardware store... they only carry the vision grill kamado here... which I havent read TOO many good reviews as far as finish and quality....  their floating around 799

Hello from a local canuck,

Lowes regularly runs a Save the Tax event and just this past week had a buy more save more if you're interested in the Kamado Joe. Dickson BBQ recently had a special where they included a Joetisserie in the purchase of a KJ. I just converted from Green (18") to Red (24") and could not be happier. I find the divider, with two zone cooking an ideal set-up.

That being said, I have read a lot about the pit boss and it looks like a very good grill considering $/value. The lid may be a bit heavy but it's 24" and comes with the accessories. It's currently online at costco.ca for $899+tax CDN delivered. They usually bring it in store by March/April if you want to see it in person and save on the shipping charges.

Good Luck!

I did do some research on the pit boss and it seems decent for the cost for sure!   I just read a few things about the indirect heat shield being somewhat of a pain and that the aftermarket market for it is horrid which is kind of a turn off..  (wanting various things such as split heating and what not)  

3 hours ago, RRL said:

I did do some research on the pit boss and it seems decent for the cost for sure!   I just read a few things about the indirect heat shield being somewhat of a pain and that the aftermarket market for it is horrid which is kind of a turn off..  (wanting various things such as split heating and what not)  

Started out with a Pit Boss, it developed a crack and Costco had no more and couldn't tell me when they would get anymore in.  Took it back to Costco and ordered a JR and BJ from Ace hardware on sale and have been happy ever since.  I use the JR for 98% of my cooks because it's just the 2 of us but, I have used the BJ for several cooks that were too large for the JR.  Just can't fit a 20# turkey in a JR.  

Yea I dont cook much turkey but I am def worried of regretting the JR because of how small it is.... 

Even on my 4 burner gas bbq it dont take much time to fill it up when I have visit over for supper....  mind you I can make due making baked potatoes on the gasser if I had no more room on a kamado

All that aside.. I dont think im sold on the pit boss with all the small things I read and wasnt too fond of. Heck I was sold on a BGE until I read more on the Classic joe

os1VyqG.jpg?1