Joe JR efficient for my goals?

RRL

The Canadian availability issue is a toughie.

So what is actually available to a Canadian if they want a Kamado?

I have seen posts at times from various Canadians on this KG forum. Maybe we need some ideas from them.

One might be specific about budget, and other preferences.

Cheers.

M.

Yea we got pretty well all the major brands along with a few "knock offs"   as mentioned slower on new releases but also the cost seems to be fairly higher and when we do get sales they dont ever seem to be half as good as sales from the US.

Keep in mind though even if there was a huge sale in the US, by the time I add shipping costs on something so heavy it would surpass the price of a regular priced one here. 

Yea the more im looking the more I think I should hold off for the  classic 2 joe....

If funds start draining else where ill prob end up jumping on the JR and just live with it. 

Ive done a lot of reading on the main "commercial" stores that I could do equal payments no interest type of deal so heres the list and pricing of what is readily available... fi

Home depot carries Vision Kamado's

899. for S series and pro zon

498 for the cadet

Lowes  carries the Kamado Joe

1599 for Classic 2

599 for JR

Costco carries Pit boss

899 for the K24  

They dont list the K22

Rona carries Vision

799 for the M series (not sure what the dif is)

Canadian Tire carries the Louisiana kamado

899 for "louisiana K.  doesnt say what model  (actually on clearance right now for 699)

699 for the LGK18 version

Cabela's carries KJ

1599 for classic 2

There's still plenty of other specialty outdoor stores that carry / sell them but these are the more "generic" stores.

I did find a Akorn jr on Amazon for 206 +35$ for a 1 year warranty with free shipping cheapest ive found to date for one

JR is definitely to small to be used as a primary grill. Even for 2 people. It is however a great grill that you can/should use as a primary grill and/or a sidekick to a larger grill. 
I purchased a like new Akorn JR for 50 bucks off of craigslist and it has easily been the best money spent. Its insanely easy on coal, lights fast, gets to temp fast, and is very portable. I wouldn't think twice about getting a Joe Jr if I found a good deal on one. 
Go get yourself a 18-20ish inch Kamado. Save for what you want, whatever that may be. Get a jr later.

I wish I could find some rocking deals like that around here.  the Akorn in general barely exists on this side!  cant find 1 shop that sells it other then amazon and only 1 re seller has it....

Lowes and any other place that used to sell them now either carry vision or the Kamado Joe.  seeing the KJ is awesome as that is on my WANT list for sure but not a fan of the vision after reading on it. 

I am only about 1.5 hour drive from the US border and could pick up an akorn which would end up around 5-600 mark give or take by the time I go through the border with taxes and all that fun stuff... 

The Akorn JR is catching my eye for the price of about lets say round up to 250 shipped with a 1 year warranty  (vs 599 plus tax for the KJ jr) 

IF I did end up with just a JR as a starter kamado, it would be used only for the mains and the gas bbq would end up with most of the sides for the most part. unless I have visit over and limited room on the JR.

the KJ is my end goal for a full size  kamado that is for sure.

well the more im looking at things financially...  I may hop onto the cheaper band wagon of a Akorn JR....  wedding coming up in July among other things I can see putting a HUGE stall on any Kamado plans lol..

So might just hop on the 200$ akorn and mess around with that for a while.. maybe by the time that thing is done for Ill be able justify getting my end goal kamado (by then who knows what will be out there comparable or better )

Main reason i opted for the akorn jr over ceramic was because i plan on bringing it camping as well.. im tired of dealing with my current propane camping bbq

18 minutes ago, RRL said:

well the more im looking at things financially...  I may hop onto the cheaper band wagon of a Akorn JR....  wedding coming up in July among other things I can see putting a HUGE stall on any Kamado plans lol..

So might just hop on the 200$ akorn and mess around with that for a while.. maybe by the time that thing is done for Ill be able justify getting my end goal kamado (by then who knows what will be out there comparable or better )

Main reason i opted for the akorn jr over ceramic was because i plan on bringing it camping as well.. im tired of dealing with my current propane camping bbq

Have you ever considered one of these?  

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/jumbo-joe-charcoal-grill

This is highly portable, 18" cooking grid (same as Kamado Joe Classic / Large Big Green Egg), can do low and slow smoking and high temperature grilling, and it sells for $70 US.

ive seen those around and can get them for under 100 CAD   the one you link is a litle over 100 here but yea.

Whats the big difference comparing one of those style charcoal grills vs a JR Kamado? 

I guess I'll go first and start the list. But before I do, that little Weber is way cool. The old saying necessity is the mother of innovation.

applies. -put it on your wedding gift list? A ceramic as a maybe? (My neighbor got a Big Joe that way)

One wants to start in the grilling world this might be a way-especially if one is weighing in on cost. As I mentioned , I pulled off some miracle cooks on an 8" Hibachi using briquettes or wood-this was in my lower income /just married days.

My evolution was: Hibachi; cheap rectangular grill, hand me down gas grill. Weber Kettle, Akorn, KJ.

Why a ceramic or steel clad or other Kamado of any size?

Versatility. Smoke, grill, high/low temp cook,  in an insulated environment. All in one unit.

Just see what kind of cooks KGs are doing on these forums.

Many, many other benefits-no time to list them all.

M.

HMMM im getting a major issue with my original account I just had to use a 2nd email addy to create this account.. Wont send me an email for a password reset

Ive actually thought about putting a KJ on the wedding list, I actually spoke to the woman this morning about it on the way to work LOL. 

I just started smoking about 1.5 years ago using a 4rack digital bradley smoker which I find awesome but its good for one thing only and thats low and slow. Now the one big downfall to the electric smoker is when it comes time that you want to crisp up the outwise its not capable of doing such things.

Ive done a whole lot of reading on Kamado's and havent seen anyone compare it to a kettle,  im guessing a kettle is comparable minus the fact its not insulated and as controllable for temps.

Reading up on the JR's I get a WHOLE WHACK LOAD of different opinions on its size and capabilities.  while some say its a bit small for your avg meal for 2 people some say its perfect size for even 2-3 people. 

A lot of people commented on using just their JR when their only 2 people as it takes less time and less coal to heat up / cook. 

Ive been researching online on Kamado's till my face is turning blue,  only thing I keep finding myself doing is going back to looking at the KJ classic lol

I have a Big Joe and a Joe Jr. I get a lot of mileage out of my Jr. and contrary to the general sentiment, I would recommend it to people who are cooking for just a few people. You certainly lose out on the versatility of the D&C system; but you still are able to grill, sear and smoke (smoking will require smaller cuts, i.e. you won't fit a 12 pound brisket).

I can fit quite a lot of chicken drums and thighs at a time, i can cook multiple steaks, 6-8 smash burgers. Really a lot you can do. In terms of cooking for leftovers, you might need to cook in batches if you are trying to feed 3 people for dinner and take lunch the next day. Also, you will generally be able to cook your protein but will need to take the sides inside.

My KJ Jr is my most used grill. Most of the time I'm just cooking for me and my wife and I've never had a problem fitting enough meat on there for the two of us. There is plenty of room for a few normal sized burgers. It can easily handle a big spatchcocked chicken. I've even done a 9 pound pork butt on mine (which I didn't think was really going to fit).

I've never done a pizza on mine but it will handle a larger pizza than the Roccbox (which seems to be the rage lately).

I bought an Akorn Jr last summer when they were on sale for just $75. Bought it mainly out of curiosity as I had never seen one. It's about the same size as the KJ Jr. It's much lighter tho which might be an advantage  for camping. It works/cooks well. The build quality isn't top notch but it should easily last for many years if one keeps an eye on it and deals with any rust that shows up.

I'm also a long time Weber kettle user. It is hard to beat a kettle for bang for the buck. On a mild calm day a kettle can be pretty stable at holding temps. A kamado really only becomes superior in cold, windy, rainy, or snowy weather. That's when the ceramic kamados (and the insulated ones like an Akorn) have a bigger advantage. If you are going to consider a kettle type grill you might want to take a look at Napolean. They're a Canadian company that makes gas and charcoal grills and they make some kettle and Weber Smokey Mountain style grills in Canada. Not sure if they make a smaller more portable kettle like the Jumbo Jo tho.

Are you likely to be grilling year round or mainly just during the Spring/Summer months?

I do agree with John that perhaps you should consider getting a Weber kettle and playing with that for awhile to get a feel for using charcoal.Also, when camping you might want somthing larger than a Jr so you could fit proteins and sides together.

Good luck - these sort of decisions can be rather agonizing. :)

Yea im still reading tons and looking at all the options thats for sure! 

Im fairly on the fence with the Akorn Jr the only thing holding me back is.. if I do spend the cash on the JR im scratching off any soon to be chance to save up for a full size one. 

I guess if anything falls through majorly i'll be hoping on the akorn.

I would say on AVG when I cook meals during the week it works out to be about a regular sized meal for about 3-4 people  (figure lunch for me and the wife once or so during the week with left overs...  not everytime.. but id say at the least 2-3 out of the 5 day work week. 

ive thought about the kettles, just mixed opinion on it...  so their more so the same ordeal except when it comes time for low and slow and cold temps.... 

I may wait and keep an eye on costco prices on the pit boss... if it ever goes on sale I may be able to pick one up if the timing is right

I cant see it being worthwhile to buy any of these ceramic grills used as you loose any kind of warranty which is probably the one big reason the price is higher then your avg grill

I do cook year round rain or shine ive set up my bradley a good few times in some cold weather and snowing days...  always find a way when im on a mission to smoke lol

bFm5CrV.jpg

I have a classic and a Jr. I love my Jr. for quick cooks. You can get quite a bit of food on it with a rack extension and some creativity. 

It works great for Smoking Salmon and has the perfect spot for my probe transmitter right on the back. 

The best part of about the Jr is I can take it anywhere. It's been to the park, camping, even an outdoor concert. It cools down quickly using the Kick Ash basket. I just pull out the coals and dump them in a bucket and quench it with water. 15 minutes later it's cool enough to load up on the truck. 

It's my summer buddy for sure. My only regret is not buying one earlier so I could have gotten it in Black before KJ stopped making them in Black. 

20170704_125838.jpg