Joe JR efficient for my goals?

RRL

Doesnt look all too bad for size!   

at this point though.. if I was to bring one around camping I wouldn't trust my luck with a ceramic grill... The Akorn would be a much bigger peace of mind as far as transporting around goes.

The JR is priced at 599 and I can grab the Pit boss or VIsion at around 899 (regular price) 

I actually went and saw the vision grill at a local Canadian tire other then the lid being slightly offset (odds are due to poor assembly) it actually looked fairly decent... just not a fan of the bottom adjustement compared to the others.

If the Joe would ever go on sale under 1K id hope on that quick but the best I can see it going down to is 1299

My gut feeling is to recommend an akorn. You can turn out fantastic food really affordably and get a full sized one instead of a junior. However, if you really want a kamado Joe classic, you should save for that. Otherwise the itch won't be scratched. 

The akorn would of been on my watch list but there's a few "issues"

The akorn Char griller brand name isnt sold here anymore in Canada.  I could go get one in the US as im not far off from the border however the end cost ends up being a solid 4-500$ for it at the very least. Heck amazon's price tag on the Akorn is $909 right now which is nuts.

Canadian Tire seems to sell an identical one to the Akorn but seems to me like its an inflated price as ceramic kamado's such as the vision go on sale for about 699..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/master-chef-steel-kamado-grill-0853133p.html#srp

Home Hardware also sells a identical version  for 519.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Seasonal/Barbecues/Barbecues/Charcoal/Kamander-469-sq-in-Charcoal-Barbecue-with-Shelf/_/N-ntldh/R-I6420030

Lowes sells the broil king keg which is 799 (again may as well just get the ceramic one for same price more so in my opinion) 

Now I know I said Im really shooting for the KJ, but the way the funds are going I may have to deal with a lower quality Kamado and upgrade in the future I'm not against getting a steel one but it would have to be for a fair price for sure. If a ceramic one thats been recommended on here for 1-200 more.. id def opt for the ceramic for a touch more in cost. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever considered making a road trip and buying a used one somewhere in the US? The Guru Classifieds has a Classic for sale for US$650 in Austin, TX right now. Check out craigslist.org in states that might interest you and see what you can find. 

I have the classic and the junior. The junior is great for quick small cooks, or for side dishes that might need a different temperature to the classic when cooking for a group. The junior is very limited for space, so in my opinion its not suited for a primary grill.

The Akorn might also be an option while you save up for the KJ.

Yea ive considered travelling however I am just slightly worried about how the warranty will work out.

Also for buying used most warranties arn't transferable which is a huge loss. 

650US still ends up around the same if not a little more expensive then buying new here.

Non the less I have kept an eye on the classfields every so often in the case theres a BIG deal.. but in most cases it would sell before I would get a chance to set something up to get it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I am not too  late to the party, but I know   what you  are going threw. I myself am dealing with price , size , and usefulness.        I am currently looking to purchase a ceramic grill , (not JK ,but a  top 3 )  but price has slowed the purchase . Just remember one thing ,you are the one that will have to live with your purchase ,and if you would like more room now , you won't be happy with the downsize later . The item  you are looking is an investment , so if it takes a little longer to save to get what  will fit  for you , so what you still have a lifetime to cook on what fits you.