Watkins273

Hinge upgrade

I have a 2017 24" and the fasteners have not started working loose yet, so maybe some later version hardware from PB might be in order..

Instead of new fasteners, how about some thread lock chem on those offending bits, that may help.

Thread lock is a good idea as temperature changes can losen the bolts.  With the Pit Boss, the bands are in a ceramic groove so at least a loose band will not send your lid crashing to the ground like happens with the eggs. 

Thanks for the reminder, I decided to check my nearly 2 year old PB and the hinge bolts were a little loose.  Will probably apply a little threadlocker when the weather moderates enough to work outside.

Are you cooking hot?  I did not have to tighten the nuts for over two years when I was only doing slow smokes (temperature under 250 degrees), but every thing was very loose after one pizza making experiment at 500+ degrees.

So which bolts are you guys refering to that get loose? 

The ring tensioners  or the actual bolts / screws on the hinge? 

I was kind of curious how tight those ring tensioners should be...  I did the check over after my first few cooks (some low and slow and a couple high temp) everything was tight but the ring tensioner never really gets "snug" and too tight would result in cracking the dome id imagine