After snow delayed my delivery, i was excited to begin sharpening my knives. Seldom have I faced so humbling an experience. I'm attempting to take solace in the fact that these knives have seen decades of neglect and misuse. They (two thus far) required much more effort than I thought necessary and one still isn't quite where it needs to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruixin-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-grindstone/dp/B01N2T5RR3/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_79_img_2/130-9100419-9294313?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R6VX5G0VKWWMVE2NWQ32

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J72QHNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, I found out very quickly not to over tighten the knobs- the plastic has already cracked in one place. LOL. Also, I think that adding a magnet is mandatory. Trying to keep smaller knives secure is a nightmare. The stones, particularly the coarser stones, seem to be losing quite a grit fairly quickly (I have no reference to judge this by, however). The suction cup also loses its suction very quickly. After I get these knives in somewhat decent shape, I may get around to really liking this. Right now however, I am pretty humbled. :-D

That looks very similar to an edge pro. My guess is the chosera or shapton stones for edge pro would work on your unit. Edge pro also sells a kit for flattening your stones, they will concave a bit with use. 

When you first start doing quality sharpening, it’s shocking how much diffraction a truly sharp knife makes. 

I highly recommend looking into a good strop. 

I was going to start my own thread but figured I would jump in here instead.

I too very recently received a Ruixin Pro. I also ordered some extra stones. Overall the quality is about what I expected for what I paid. Definitely be careful with the plastic knobs as I too cracked one. With the suction cup you definitely need a very smooth flat surface and a little water. Last night it didn't want to stick. I then figured out that one (of the three) rubber flaps was tucked under the base instead of holding it on the side. Once I pulled it out like it's supposed to be my suction cup worked fine. Magnets would definitely help especially with the smaller knives like you pointed out. I thought I had some really good magnets at home but can't find them so I'll have to order one. Also I used a bubble level app on my phone to confirm the angle I set on the sharpener. 

I started practicing on a couple cheapie German  knives. I reprofiled them to 18*. I used, 120, 400, 800, 1500, 2000, and finally 3000. I was amazed at how sharp they got compared to before and all the edge chips from years of abuse were gone.  I have since done 2 Japanese knives at 12*. 

It does take some practice to get a smooth motion but overall I'm pleased with the purchase for the money I spent. 

RuxPro.thumb.jpg.58e0dfd68d9a1bd6a25ad7678829941a.jpg

48 minutes ago, 5698k said:

That looks very similar to an edge pro. My guess is the chosera or shapton stones for edge pro would work on your unit. Edge pro also sells a kit for flattening your stones, they will concave a bit with use. 

When you first start doing quality sharpening, it’s shocking how much diffraction a truly sharp knife makes. 

These are basically generic Edge Pro's and any edge pro stones work in it. 

7 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

After snow delayed my delivery, i was excited to begin sharpening my knives. Seldom have I faced so humbling an experience. I'm attempting to take solace in the fact that these knives have seen decades of neglect and misuse. They (two thus far) required much more effort than I thought necessary and one still isn't quite where it needs to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruixin-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-grindstone/dp/B01N2T5RR3/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_79_img_2/130-9100419-9294313?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R6VX5G0VKWWMVE2NWQ32

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J72QHNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, I found out very quickly not to over tighten the knobs- the plastic has already cracked in one place. LOL. Also, I think that adding a magnet is mandatory. Trying to keep smaller knives secure is a nightmare. The stones, particularly the coarser stones, seem to be losing quite a grit fairly quickly (I have no reference to judge this by, however). The suction cup also loses its suction very quickly. After I get these knives in somewhat decent shape, I may get around to really liking this. Right now however, I am pretty humbled. :-D

If your stones are loosing effectiveness, they may be filling with swarth (stone and metal bits). 

Keep at it. 

Get a burr, flip is over, push the burr to the other side,

deburr.

Move to higher grit.  

I am still learning as I give advice.  

When I started sharpening I picked up a tip from a random YouTube video. Strop with metal polish on cardboard.  

I am about to pick up a proper finishing stone in the 8 k range.  Either a synthetic or cheap Jnat. 

Random question???  Can you use other stones with this? I have a small collection of stones all different lengths and widths. I have a hard time getting the correct degree when free hand sharpening. I answered my own question after getting a better look at the pics. So i guess a better question is are there systems that allow use of random stones?  

Also could this be mounted on a board or something instead of using the suction cups?

1 hour ago, 5698k said:

Thanks 5698k. Explain diffraction in this context please.

42 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I was going to start my own thread but figured I would jump in here instead.

I too very recently received a Ruixin Pro. I also ordered some extra stones. Overall the quality is about what I expected for what I paid. Definitely be careful with the plastic knobs as I too cracked one. With the suction cup you definitely need a very smooth flat surface and a little water. Last night it didn't want to stick. I then figured out that one (of the three) rubber flaps was tucked under the base instead of holding it on the side. Once I pulled it out like it's supposed to be my suction cup worked fine. Magnets would definitely help especially with the smaller knives like you pointed out. I thought I had some really good magnets at home but can't find them so I'll have to order one. Also I used a bubble level app on my phone to confirm the angle I set on the sharpener. 

I started practicing on a couple cheapie German  knives. I reprofiled them to 18*. I used, 120, 400, 800, 1500, 2000, and finally 3000. I was amazed at how sharp they got compared to before and all the edge chips from years of abuse were gone.  I have since done 2 Japanese knives at 12*. 

It does take some practice to get a smooth motion but overall I'm pleased with the purchase for the money I spent. 

Thanks ckreef. Even after using water, my cups lose suction after a couple of minutes. I may try a new surface. I was also attempting to use the knife guide to hold the knife and I see now that it is just a 'backstop'. 

33 minutes ago, Ben S said:

If your stones are loosing effectiveness, they may be filling with swarth (stone and metal bits). 

Keep at it. 

Get a burr, flip is over, push the burr to the other side,

deburr.

Move to higher grit.  

I am still learning as I give advice.  

Ben, you have nailed my problem exactly. While I have gotten one knife to a point where it slices through paper easily. I have yet to feel the burr I've heard so much about. Don't know if it's the calloused fingertips from playing instruments or what. Perhaps, it's a matter of just being infinitely more patient on these old knives. I've been attempting to use a an old leather that's probably far too thin and it only has a finished side. But, i am definitely going to use the metal polish.

Also, wondering what you guys use to catch the metal / stone shavings.

1 minute ago, deck said:

Random question???  Can you use other stones with this? I have a small collection of stones all different lengths and widths. I have a hard time getting the correct degree when free hand sharpening  

If I might answer here, I have watched a ton of youtube videos regarding Edge Pros and their knockoffs. In at least two, someone created their own backing and glued stones to them so that they would work in an Edge Pro or Ruixin. I'll try and locate it

23 minutes ago, deck said:

Random question???  Can you use other stones with this? I have a small collection of stones all different lengths and widths. I have a hard time getting the correct degree when free hand sharpening  

Check out about the five minute mark. There was another video on cutting stones.

12 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Looks like a direct knock off of the edge pro.  The patent infringements coming out of china these days baffle me.  Amazon is full of them.

"So what exactly are you saying John?", he said with his hand in the cookie jar. :-D

11 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

"So what exactly are you saying John?", he said with his hand in the cookie jar. :-D

It doesn't leave much room for interpretation :)  I have an edge pro and the knife holding mechanism is almost indistinguishable from it.

Thank you for the vid. They pry get away with making a knock off by tweaking the design ever so little or use different materials. I'm in the aquarium hobby too. I have been looking for a pipe for my filter hose that goes back into the tank. You can get one from X store online for a pretty penny. But you can also get them online at a fraction of the cost. From China.