1 hour ago, cschaaf said:

Got my Ruixin a few weeks back. I got the all metal version - the one shown in the video back on the first page of this thread. It's a bit squirrely, but I think it'll do the job. First, I tried to sharpen some junk steak knives that we have. It did okay, but I felt I really needed a magnet. I ordered an N52 60 x 20 x 10mm Neodymium magnet off of ebay and waited it out.

I finally had a chance to play around with it a bit again this past weekend.

I turned to my Henckles knives - 1 chef knife, 1 santuko. The santuko was up first - it is a 10-degree. You need like 4 hands to set the angle, but I got it where I thought was the closest I was going to get and ran through the progression of stones. The magnet made a big difference. I got the knife sharp, but not sharp enough to shave my arm.

Then I turned to the chef knife. That one is a 15-degree. I decided to print out a 15-degree wedge with my 3D printer and that made setting the angle so much easier (which reminds me, I need to print out a 10-degree). You set the wedge on top of the knife and lay the stone on top of it, then lock it in. If you don't have a 3D printer, you could easily slice one out of a 2x4 with a miter saw. 

I got pretty much the same results with that knife; got it sharp, but not super sharp.

Had a chance to use the chef knife for dinner tonight and, despite it not being wicked sharp, you could really tell the difference. 

I might mess around with 3D printing some feet for it since it doesn't have the suction cup base. It moved around a bit, but not too bad. I think if I print some feet and glue some mouse pad strips to the bottom, it will be pretty solid. I also need to figure out how to move the vertical post back, like in the video on the first page. 

I hope you done mind free advice.  

1) if you can shave off 1000 grit, you are doing something right. 

2) generate a burr, flip the blade, flip the burr to the other side. Then keep flipping the blade with less pressure until you knock off the burr.  Then keep up the light strokes.  After ripping off the burr you don’t have a clean edge, but 20 or so very light strokes should clean it up nicely. 20 is a number that may work for you, it might be more or less.  Then try to cut paper or shave.  My current favorite test is to hold a  dangling paper towel and cut next to my fingers.  If I get a nice clean cut, I am happy. 

3) pick up an angle cube. I bought one for sharpening, and I only use it on my tablesaw. 

3 hours ago, cschaaf said:

I ordered an N52 60 x 20 x 10mm Neodymium magnet off of ebay and waited it out.

I got pretty much the same results with that knife; got it sharp, but not super sharp...

I was going to order that but, I have been weary of the estimated deliver time...

2 hours ago, Ben S said:

I hope you done mind free advice.  

1) if you can shave off 1000 grit, you are doing something right. 

2) generate a burr, flip the blade, flip the burr to the other side. Then keep flipping the blade with less pressure until you knock off the burr.  Then keep up the light strokes.  After ripping off the burr you don’t have a clean edge, but 20 or so very light strokes should clean it up nicely. 20 is a number that may work for you, it might be more or less.  Then try to cut paper or shave.  My current favorite test is to hold a  dangling paper towel and cut next to my fingers.  If I get a nice clean cut, I am happy. 

3) pick up an angle cube. I bought one for sharpening, and I only use it on my tablesaw. 

This isn't rocket science but, I still have yet to see or feel a burr and I have watched video after video. My knives were decently sharp also but not shaving sharp. My stones go up to 2000 grit, I believe. I did buy a piece of leather and some compound for strop. It brought the knives to another level of sharpness but still not fantastic. For al this, I wake up this morning as see that my wife has thrown one of the knives into the sink! Pray for me... :-D

Also, I use my iPhone to set the angle. Pretty simple with that...

5 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I was going to order that but, I have been weary of the estimated deliver time...

This isn't rocket science but, I still have yet to see or feel a burr and I have watched video after video. My knives were decently sharp also but not shaving sharp. My stones go up to 2000 grit, I believe. I did buy a piece of leather and some compound for strop. It brought the knives to another level of sharpness but still not fantastic. For al this, I wake up this morning as see that my wife has thrown one of the knives into the sink! Pray for me... :-D

Draw on the edge with a sharpie.  Watch the sharpie rub off.  This will tell you if you are missing the angle. 

6 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Me too. I use a level app on my android phone. Works pretty good to be able to repeat a known angle.

I do want to order a magnet at some point. 

The ebay magnet works, but I think you can probably find a better one that will ship faster - but you'll also pay a bit more. The magnet I have didn't hold the knife nearly as strong as the one in the video. I may order a new one from another source.

I struggled trying to use my phone - I think mostly because the knife wasn't held in place by the magnet alone. So I had to use one hand to hold the knife in place and the other to hold the phone... then I needed at least a third hand to tighten the set screw. It just wasn't happening. I thought about getting an angle cube, but I figured I'd have the same issue. Too many things to hold at one time. The wedge is dead simple. 

thought I could feel a burr from time to time, but wasn't ever sure it was there or if I just wanted it to be there lol

12 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

The ebay magnet works, but I think you can probably find a better one that will ship faster - but you'll also pay a bit more. 

thought I could feel a burr from time to time, but wasn't ever sure it was there or if I just wanted it to be there lol

I buy magnets for knifebars from magnetsforless.com.  You can buy several smaller ones and stack them to get a more powerful magnet. 

The burr should be noticeable from one side to the other. If you are not sure, keep going, or go courser.  There are times I get a burr on part of the blade, but not the whole edge.  I have to go back at it. 

5 hours ago, Ben S said:

Draw on the edge with a sharpie.  Watch the sharpie rub off.  This will tell you if you are missing the angle. 

yup. I've been trying that too. I get plenty of metal shavings on the table and on the stones themselves but no burr. Not giving up just yet but, maybe an electric is in my future :-D

The ebay magnet works, but I think you can probably find a better one that will ship faster - but you'll also pay a bit more. The magnet I have didn't hold the knife nearly as strong as the one in the video. I may order a new one from another source.

That's disconcerting. I was hoping that was the solution since, Neodymium's are supposed to be so strong. Hmmm, maybe two of them?

53 minutes ago, Ben S said:

I buy magnets for knifebars from magnetsforless.com.  You can buy several smaller ones and stack them to get a more powerful magnet. 

Is it me? I get redirected to https://www.realestatecalendars.com/magnets_landing.asp. Ahhh, I see. It's magnets4less.com

3 minutes ago, Ben S said:

The burr should be noticeable from one side to the other. If you are not sure, keep going, or go courser.  There are times I get a burr on part of the blade, but not the whole edge.  I have to go back at it. 

Thanks, Ben! I'll check that site out. I've bought from kjmagnetics in the past and they are great, but expensive. 

I hope to have some time to mess around with the sharpener again this weekend. I think most of it comes down to a comfort issue. With more reps, I think I'll get it. 

I really appreciate the advice!

5 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

That's disconcerting. I was hoping that was the solution since, Neodymium's are supposed to be so strong. Hmmm, maybe two of them?

I could be wrong, but the pull I got from the one I ordered looked to be significantly less than the one shown in the video. The only way I will know for sure is to order one from a 'reputable' dealer - as opposed to an ebay dealer. ;) 

It works, just not as good as I expected based on how it was shown in that video. 

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

yup. I've been trying that too. I get plenty of metal shavings on the table and on the stones themselves but no burr. Not giving up just yet but, maybe an electric is in my future :-D

Is it me? I get redirected to https://www.realestatecalendars.com/magnets_landing.asp. Ahhh, I see. It's magnets4less.com

Thanks, Ben! I'll check that site out. I've bought from kjmagnetics in the past and they are great, but expensive. 

I hope to have some time to mess around with the sharpener again this weekend. I think most of it comes down to a comfort issue. With more reps, I think I'll get it. 

I really appreciate the advice!

I could be wrong, but the pull I got from the one I ordered looked to be significantly less than the one shown in the video. The only way I will know for sure is to order one from a 'reputable' dealer - as opposed to an ebay dealer. ;) 

It works, just not as good as I expected based on how it was shown in that video. 

I've bought magnets before. Not all neodymium magnets are the same and a larger size doesn't necessarily mean a stronger magnet. Magnets are rated for the amount of pull force. You need to compare the magnets specs not just size when making a magnet decision. 

Really strong neodymium magnets are not cheap. 

Been lurking for some time on this thread and got to the point that I was going to stay away from dipping my toe in the knife world.  Then I watched a video on this last night that made using this look so easy.  The one thing I will say though, in the video, it seems he never set the angle he wanted to sharpen the knife so I question whether or not this product would ever be as easy to use as shown.

So the challenge you all seem to begin with, is setting the correct angle, which he just seems to flat out ignore.  Same angle for all knives which is not real life.

1 hour ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Been lurking for some time on this thread and got to the point that I was going to stay away from dipping my toe in the knife world.  Then I watched a video on this last night that made using this look so easy.  The one thing I will say though, in the video, it seems he never set the angle he wanted to sharpen the knife so I question whether or not this product would ever be as easy to use as shown.

So the challenge you all seem to begin with, is setting the correct angle, which he just seems to flat out ignore.  Same angle for all knives which is not real life.

I recently migrated to freehand sharpening and reset all my knives to an easy to remember angle.  

My take away message is that the angle is less important than being consistent. 

On 3/23/2018 at 1:31 PM, ckreef said:

I've bought magnets before. Not all neodymium magnets are the same and a larger size doesn't necessarily mean a stronger magnet. Magnets are rated for the amount of pull force. You need to compare the magnets specs not just size when making a magnet decision. 

Really strong neodymium magnets are not cheap. 

do you have a recommendation on the size / pull force to order for this purpose?

28 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

do you have a recommendation on the size / pull force to order for this purpose?

Not Really. I would find a reasonable  range of sizes that will fit in the space below. Then start comparing the pull force of magnets that fit that size range and buy the one with the greatest pull force. Also magnets are set to pull on different axis'. Make sure you get a rectangle that pulls on the big flat side not an "end/side puller". Okay that wasn't very technical but hopefully you get my point. 

3 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

He's not ignoring the angle it just looks like that. At just past 1:35 he inserts the guide rod into the base. For a brief moment you can see some hash gooves on the guide rod. Those are color coded to represent different angles so he just lines up the right colored groove before he screws it down.

In reality those grooves are not exactly accurate although they will give you repeatable results. You can use any smart phone with a resetable bubble level. You set the base and plate up then holding the phone edge on the plate reset the bubble level to zero. Add a stone and guide rod. With the stone sitting on the edge of the pate and your phone on the slide just above the stone. Now adjust the guide rod up and down until the bubble level is at the degree you are looking for. This is also a very repeatable procedure. As long as the knife is held so the edge goes just past the edge of the plate you should basically be grinding the angle you desire. 

Sounds complicated but it really isn't once you've done it a few times. 3 hands would be easier but it can be done by yourself. 

I reset almost all my Japanese knives to 12° and German knives to 18°. Just makes it easier when doing a sharpening session and I'm really not that picky anyway. 

I have the Ruixin Pro and got tired of screwing around with the phone and angle finders to set my angle. So when I got the angle I was looking for I cut a small tube that fits over the post to the length that gave the guide rod attachment the height that provides the angle..

I used an old ball point pen, but when I can find that little piece of copper tubing I know I have somewhere, I'll make up these spacers for several angles.

I suppose something similar could be done with the Ruixin Pro II.

Sorry for the crummy photo, but you get the idea.

ruixin.JPG