23 minutes ago, Rip said:

I have the Ruixin Pro and got tired of screwing around with the phone and angle finders to set my angle. So when I got the angle I was looking for I cut a small tube that fits over the post to the length that gave the guide rod attachment the height that provides the angle..

I used an old ball point pen, but when I can find that little piece of copper tubing I know I have somewhere, I'll make up these spacers for several angles.

I suppose something similar could be done with the Ruixin Pro II.

Sorry for the crummy photo, but you get the idea.

ruixin.JPG

That is an awesome idea and would work with a Ruixin Pro II. I'm going to cut me some tubes in the near future. 

thanks again everyone. After attempting to sharpen another knife today, I think I am going to restrict myself to the Ruixin stones for now. I am convinced that the other set that I bought is somehow mismarked. All I have to go on is sound basically, but some of the supposedly finer grade stones, defintely 'sound' as course and take off as much material as stones which are supposed to be coarser. It has me currently contemplating this set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074YY6ZCC/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w but, i don't know their quality or reputation either.

18 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

thanks again everyone. After attempting to sharpen another knife today, I think I am going to restrict myself to the Ruixin stones for now. I am convinced that the other set that I bought is somehow mismarked. All I have to go on is sound basically, but some of the supposedly finer grade stones, defintely 'sound' as course and take off as much material as stones which are supposed to be coarser. It has me currently contemplating this set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074YY6ZCC/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w but, i don't know their quality or reputation either.

Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. For $35, you're not getting much. If you really want decent stones check out this link. Pick a few of the upper stones maybe starting at 1k. Your current lower grit stones will work fine. These will fit the Ruixin Pro II. They are also mounted on aluminum plates not cheap plastic. 

I'd get me some but with the purchase of the WFO my knife budget has been cut off below the knees. At least if I want to live long enough to actually use the WFO. 

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/chforedpro.html

I messed around with mine a bit today and had much better luck. I think the biggest impact came from repeatedly cleaning the stones as I went. I cleaned the stone each time I flipped the knife - and sometimes half way through doing one side. 

One of my OEM stones fell off the backing when I pulled it our of the box today. Super glue fixed that. Another stone, the 120, has a crack right through the middle.

:Looks like I will also be in the market for some new stones ;) 

6 hours ago, Rip said:

I have the Ruixin Pro and got tired of screwing around with the phone and angle finders to set my angle. So when I got the angle I was looking for I cut a small tube that fits over the post to the length that gave the guide rod attachment the height that provides the angle..

I used an old ball point pen, but when I can find that little piece of copper tubing I know I have somewhere, I'll make up these spacers for several angles.

I suppose something similar could be done with the Ruixin Pro II.

Sorry for the crummy photo, but you get the idea.

ruixin.JPG

This would work for the III, too.

14 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

I messed around with mine a bit today and had much better luck. I think the biggest impact came from repeatedly cleaning the stones as I went. I cleaned the stone each time I flipped the knife - and sometimes half way through doing one side. 

One of my OEM stones fell off the backing when I pulled it our of the box today. Super glue fixed that. Another stone, the 120, has a crack right through the middle.

:Looks like I will also be in the market for some new stones ;) 

120 is only really good if you're going to reprofile an edge and even then you could start at a higher grit. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is having a 120 crack, you didn't loose much. Better that then a 1k+ crack. 

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

120 is only really good if you're going to reprofile an edge and even then you could start at a higher grit. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is having a 120 crack, you didn't loose much. Better that then a 1k+ crack. 

Agreed, and fortunately, I was able to get through all of my knives with the 120 before the crack was too bad. I don't know if I was re-profiling them or not, I just used the angle that I found on Wustof's site. Shouldn't have to use it again any time soon.