RRL2

Price match K24 costco - Lowes

So been looking at a few kamado's and I saw that Lowes price matches + beats the price by an additional 10%..

costco has the K24 pit boss PN:71241 for 899.00

https://www.costco.ca/Pit-Boss-K24-61-cm-(24-in.)-Black-Ceramic-Charcoal-Grill.product.100313926.html

LOwes has the Pit boss 24inch   PN:71240 for 1340.00

https://www.lowes.ca/charcoal-bbqs-grills/pit-boss-71240-24-in-ceramic-charcoal-barbecue_g2592722.html?searchTerm=pit-boss

The ONLY difference I noticed is the one from costco comes with a cover and the ones from lowes doesnt (as per the listing)

SO a couple things...  just because of that PN difference im assume the price match isnt going to happen even though both seem to be the EXACT same product however given a dif PN.

Is this ways companies can evade having to deal with price matching or something?? or are both 24" PB's I linked actually different.

well I just finally found a source for that reasoning...

Direct copy in past.. for those that didnt know like myself.. costco gets their own PN's so other companies cant price match them....  what a load of crock in my opinion... costco doesnt offer financing while places like lowes do... 12 months   0 interest... ect... 

Heres a copy and past from the site I found...

Basically, Costco, as a major bulk retailer get special pricing deals from Samsung and other manufacturers for selling off their major TV models and in exchange for their sales volume and selling power, the company has managed to get itself special model number designations so that neither consumers or other retailers can easily price match the Costco TV versions of the major models with their mainstream versions. This gives Costco a competitive edge especially during major sale events such as Black Friday and so on

while I noticed that Costco product numbers sometimes differ for seemingly the same product sold by other retailers, it didn't occur to me that this was done in an effort to avoid price matching. makes sense to my inner cynic.

I thought the reason for doing so was that the Costco version was just a lower-cost version of a near-similar product just so Costco could undercut the closest competing item.

while that could also be possible... I can't imagine  Pit boss making a lesser cost Kamado thats a mirror imagine to others being distributing to other retailers such as lowes and amazon. 

However the price difference between the 2 isnt even remotely close which does make me wonder! 

899 from costco and it comes with a cover

1340 from Lowes or Amazon and doesnt include a cover

440$ difference in price and Lowes sells the cover for an additional $92.. so if you add that in to the cost your looking at quite a big cost difference

I mean I do get why they would want to do that  otherwise im sure most people would just price match their stock all the time without the need to purchase their pass to access the store. 

But on big item costs such as furniture and stuff like this kamado seems off to me...  tagging along with over a 500$ cost difference on 1 particular item that i came across 

The kong isn't around here from what I've seen.

The Louisiana is however still priced at 899  with Only a 1 year warranty.

The k24 at Costco has the limited lifetime for same price

Both Kong and Louisiana Grills have free shipping.

Kong I see only available at Grilla Grills. Last I saw, it was $799. 

I would definately prefer to have it shipped to my door than trying to bring it home from Costco. 

All have ave lifetime warranty on the ceramics. 

First, the different product number trick is done by the manufacturers to protect their other retail partners and has been going on for decades with Sam’s, BJ’s, Costco, Circuit City and other long gone retailers. 

As for the price, I would suggest waiting 2-4 months. When the new batch shows up in Costco warehouses this spring they will likely be $599 again for in store pickup and $749 with “free shipping” online. The K24 is a nice budget Kamado but there is no way it is worth $1340. At that price you should be getting a Kamado Joe!

1 hour ago, m-fine said:

First, the different product number trick is done by the manufacturers to protect their other retail partners and has been going on for decades with Sam’s, BJ’s, Costco, Circuit City and other long gone retailers. 

As for the price, I would suggest waiting 2-4 months. When the new batch shows up in Costco warehouses this spring they will likely be $599 again for in store pickup and $749 with “free shipping” online. The K24 is a nice budget Kamado but there is no way it is worth $1340. At that price you should be getting a Kamado Joe!

RLL2 is talking bout Canadian dollars. I think you may be  referring to U.S. currency.  I have no clue what prices are like for our neighbors up north, but those prices do not reflect Lowe’s U.S. prices, just Lowe’s Canada.

I had a Target/Walmart price difference. Same exact item just different part number. Walmart didn't want to do the price match. I made Walmart customer support get corporate on the phone. Corporate explained the different part numbers. I explained I didn't care it was still the exact same item item just in a different box with different part number. They kept arguing but so did I. I stayed on the phone so long they eventually  price matched just to get me off the phone (took about 30 minutes on the phone with corporate)  - LOL - this was a $800 above ground pool and the difference was about $200.

Yea ive noticed a huge price difference from US to CAD for these... 

LOL CK, thats one way to get it done! 

I guess I could argue at the fact that costco is 441$ cheaper and comes with a cover while at their price it doesnt even include a cover or anything.   the price difference is ridiculous, or is Costco WAY below the consumer market outside of "their world"

Cause I even checked Amazon and the price listing is the same as lowes at 1340 without a cover.

Yeah none of the costco's seem to have any of these left in stock this time of the year, Ill prob keep my eyes peeled for when they come in and if they go on sale. 

In my eyes if I see one listed over 1K  for a kamado I may as well opt to a KJ or an equivalent....   pitboss was supposed to be a "budget" ceramic kamado not run with the BGE and KJ lol. 

Other retailers can't price match Costco. The whole point of Costco is that they sell everything below wholesale price. They are supposed to be giving you their products at little to no mark up. They make their money on memberships and a very small amount on product markup. Just for reference, in 2017 Costco had 90 million members. I don't know how many of those were $120 a year members or $50 a year members but taking the lowest of the two, if all 90 million were $50 members that's over 4.5 billion a year in revenue just on memberships. That's why other retailers can't touch them. They don't need to profit on the actual products. 

15 hours ago, Vital said:

Other retailers can't price match Costco. The whole point of Costco is that they sell everything below wholesale price. They are supposed to be giving you their products at little to no mark up. They make their money on memberships and a very small amount on product markup. Just for reference, in 2017 Costco had 90 million members. I don't know how many of those were $120 a year members or $50 a year members but taking the lowest of the two, if all 90 million were $50 members that's over 4.5 billion a year in revenue just on memberships. That's why other retailers can't touch them. They don't need to profit on the actual products. 

Costco is reportedly also a great place to work with decent wages and good insurance package.

Sort of the opposite of places like McDonalds.