KismetKamado

Ghost Pepper Turkey Chili

Decided to make up a batch of turkey chili soup tonight. Ordered a few ghost pepper chili kits on my last Sucklebusters order, so figured I may as well go go for it (didn’t really follow their recipe though).  It was super good - but boy was it hot!  All the sliced serrano’s and jalapeños I added probably didn’t help much on that front either....  

8DB8F30A-47CD-43BE-B687-14E31379F74D.thumb.jpeg.9c7312ec68209dedb46eae25c33e0ba4.jpeg

5EC66BF3-EFF8-44EF-818D-A2BA76271709.thumb.jpeg.5a3b4642b1f1e4b2d78b92ddb9145120.jpeg

70DDEED0-8FF5-4DCD-B725-4DAFEA908B60.thumb.jpeg.0a78a47472b785f3a80e16c5f804449b.jpeg

It only hurt for a little while. Totally worth it. 

4 minutes ago, mbellot said:

Looks fantastic. It will hurt again... :-P

I grew ghost peppers (and some hotter ones) for several years., still have a huge stockpile of dried ones since I'm the only one in the house that tolerates heat at that level (my wife thinks ketchup has a bite...).

Wish I could say I thought you were wrong on the hurting again, but I'm afraid you're probably dead on.  LOL.

My husband manned up and got after it, too.   I got him a small bowl, then he went back for seconds and thirds.  I was proud of him...  He used to tolerate spicy way better than I did, but as we've gotten older the tables have turned.  I'll make something thinking I have toned it down for him and the kids and he'll politely inform me that I indeed, did not do a good job of keeping it to a mild roar. 

10 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

My husband manned up and got after it, too.   I got him a small bowl, then he went back for seconds and thirds.  I was proud of him...  He used to tolerate spicy way better than I did, but as we've gotten older the tables have turned.  I'll make something thinking I have toned it down for him and the kids and he'll politely inform me that I indeed, did not do a good job of keeping it to a mild roar. 

I have the same problem with my wife. I seem to have problems keeping the chili mild enough for her.

The part that hurt more than eating the chili was washing the pot. Must be the steamy hot water vaporizing the ghost pepper residue or something.... I was choking, gagging and the whole nine yards standing there at the sink cleaning it up.  Lol. 

23 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

The part that hurt more than eating the chili was washing the pot. Must be the steamy hot water vaporizing the ghost pepper residue or something.... I was choking, gagging and the whole nine yards standing there at the sink cleaning it up.  Lol. 

Yup. Cold water rinse until the pot looks "clean" to get rid of the bulk, then hot water and lots of soap (Dawn seems to work real good on the pepper oils) for the remainder.

6 minutes ago, mbellot said:

Yup. Cold water rinse until the pot looks "clean" to get rid of the bulk, then hot water and lots of soap (Dawn seems to work real good on the pepper oils) for the remainder.

That would have been handy to know earlier. :)

6 minutes ago, mbellot said:

Do you wear gloves when cutting them up? I never did, too much fun licking my fingertips hours later and getting a fresh burn. :lol:

It did make using the facilities a bit of a challenge...

Never bother with gloves unless dealing with something more exotic than you find in the supermarket.  Even though I don’t have the using the facilities issue, that can bite you plenty of different ways. Lol. 

I didn’t have to chop any up for this... The ghost pepper chili powder was part of the kit.  But I’ve tangled with some nasty customers before...