Had some leftover brisket that was slow smoked on the KJC 2 with a mix of pecan, oak, and mesquite pellets. I used mustard as the binder and a rub of salt, black pepper, and some chipotle chili powder. 

For the chili I used:

2 small yellow onions, diced

5 small campari tomatoes

2 dark beers (I like Negra Modelo for this)

A pound of leftover brisket, cut into small cubes

1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tsp fish sauce (optional)

Mexican cheese blend for serving

Seriously. That’s it.

I put the diced onions in a dutch oven with some oil (I used avocado oil) on medium high heat until just starting to brown and leave a nice frond on the bottom. I cut the tomatoes in half and put on a cookie sheet with a silicon mat and tossed in the oven to broil on HIGH, until getting a light char.

I threw the tomatoes in with the onions and used some scissors to cut up the tomatoes real quick in the pot.

Poured the two beers in and brought to a boil and then let simmer for a good 20 minutes until I couldn’t smell alcohol coming off the pot. 

I used an immersion (hand) blender to homogenize the liquid (red gravy) before I added the leftover brisket, fish sauce, and vinegar.

Stir well until the liquid starts to thicken and then simmer until the liquid thickens and can coat a spoon. Serve into individual bowls and top with cheese (and cilantro if you like). Done.

4E9EDE00-CD78-40E4-ABAC-C00E859A0137.png

Thanks! I’ve made many a chili, both blasphemy style (with beans), competition style, “eatin’ chili” style, sweet midwest style, and then kitchen sink style.

For a beef chili this was incredibly simple and absolutely delicious.