I have no idea how I'm just discovering this site, this is awesome!

I'm in the market for a new Kamado.  I've narrowed it down to the Big Joe and a Summit Charcoal.  I'm leaning heavy towards the Big Joe, but am curious to know how deep the discount is at Costco.....  The roadshow schedule isn't coming to B'ham in the near future, but I'm willing to drive over to ATL.  Question:  For those what are near a costco, what are the current prices for the grills?  

Also, I read on kamadojoe.com that the warranty is not honored when purchased from a store like Costco.  I realize Costco might pick up the warranty, but wanted to verify other's experience.  

I appreciate the advice and look forward to the future discussions.

9 minutes ago, au4stree said:

I'm in the market for a new Kamado.  I've narrowed it down to the Big Joe and a Summit Charcoal.  I'm leaning heavy towards the Big Joe, but am curious to know how deep the discount is at Costco.....  The roadshow schedule isn't coming to B'ham in the near future, but I'm willing to drive over to ATL.  Question:  For those what are near a costco, what are the current prices for the grills?  

The next closest show to you will be in the Brookhaven warehouse, north of Atlanta, Feb 23 - March 4.  

https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

5 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

The next closest show to you will be in the Brookhaven warehouse, north of Atlanta, Feb 23 - March 4.  

thanks for the reply, but am curious if anyone remembers the pricing at the roadshows?  I've got a price locally with free delivery, but needed to know if it's worth my time to drive to ATL.

5 hours ago, Ben S said:

Road show Joes come with a full warranty. I do not remember the prices off the top of my head. 

Thanks, this checks one of my concerns off the list.

Dude, don’t know if this is current. If not check the Costco website. Iirc the classic II was going for like $980 or something like that.  Only way to beat that is the roadshow demo deal...now that is like a felony larceny without the jail time if you can score it...get in early 

42 minutes ago, prowe said:

Dude, don’t know if this is current. If not check the Costco website. Iirc the classic II was going for like $980 or something like that.  Only way to beat that is the roadshow demo deal...now that is like a felony larceny without the jail time if you can score it...get in early 

Yes.  I've seen the schedule, what I'm trying to figure out is price for the grills.  I agree, $980 is a good price for the regular Joe.

4 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

In December the Classic II sold for $969. Big Joe for $1299. Both included a cover and a box of fire starters. I would expect 2018 pricing to be the same.

Thank you LargeRed Joe, this is what I was needing.  Looks like I'll be traveling to Georgia at the end of February.  That price is a a $500 swing compared to local pricing or anything I've seen online.  The big joe is selling around $1700-1850 around here....

2 hours ago, au4stree said:

Thank you LargeRed Joe, this is what I was needing.  Looks like I'll be traveling to Georgia at the end of February.  That price is a a $500 swing compared to local pricing or anything I've seen online.  The big joe is selling around $1700-1850 around here....

Ask if they will price match Costco.  When I was going to buy one I called the local place and they said they would price match but of course, they were out of stock so off I went to Costco.  Worth a shot anyway.

Well to further complicate things, I got a great price on a Weber Summit today. $1350 for the standalone unit ($1799 for table version).....Hard decision now.  Both are great grills, just gotta make a call I suppose. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Brickyoung
      Hey folks,

i am considering purchasing a grill extender for my Big Joe.  I want to purchase the Kamado Joe branded expander but I am curious if anyone can suggest some good alternatives? Thanks! 
    • By GrillDawg
      Fired up the KJ for some NY Strip Steaks last night. I'd have to say...best steak I've had, hands down.

Got the steaks from a Stripling's General Store here in town. Seasoned with some Lane's BBQ Brisket rub. Put a block of Hickory in the fire.

1. Got the grill up to around 300º while seasoning.

2. First time using my ThermoPro wireless thermometer. It definitely gave me the flexibility of hanging out inside while getting up to temp!

3. Got the steaks to 125º and pulled them off and tented with aluminum foil.

4. Opened up the vents and aimed to get to 550-600º for the sear.

5. "I have made fire!"

6. Looking tasty! It smelled so good.

7. Plated with some spinach salad and a twice baked potato from Striplings.

8. Look at that color!

I'd have to say...this is my fourth cook on my KJ since buying it for Father's Day and everything I make on it is amazing. My wife looked at my across the table while eating and said, "I see why you wanted to spend so much money on a grill. This is delicious!"

If only she would have that logic when I try to convince her I want to buy a truck...haha
    • By GrillDawg
      Fired up the Kamado Joe today for some baby back ribs. Followed the video @John Setzler posted on YouTube. My rack ended up being a little smaller than the one in the video so I never quite got the bend test, but these were definitely some of the best ribs I have ever had. Pics below!

Baby Back Ribs
      Rub: A custom one made by Lanes BBQ (a local BBQ place located in Bethlehem, GA). On Father's Day our church gave out a custom rub Lane's made to all the dads. It was great!!
      Sauce: Sweet Baby Ray's diluted with some apple juice
      Cook time: 5ish hours
      Smoked with some cherry blocks

1. Put them on the grill around 12:30PM

2. ~2 hours into cook

3. Profile shot (~3 hours)

4. Gettin' saucy (~4 hours)

5. Nice color and glaze. This was right before I took them off.

6. Plated w/ roasted broccoli and cauliflower plus roll

7. Yessir!

8. Fall off the bone!

9. Gotta shoutout to one of my favorite breweries and they are located 5 min away: Terrapin Beer!

Really enjoyed this cook today. Excited to take the leftovers and make a hash with them in the morning!

• By Cooking in Ohio
      Has anyone replaced your old felt gasket , with the new mesh style ? If so have you tried just replacing just the dome or the bottom half , and leaving the other side with nothing ? 
      Thanks for any input you may have
    • By ret42
      Still fairly new to smoking in general, let alone on the Kamado, but my favorite thing to smoke on the MES was salmon. Despite my best efforts, I never managed to screw it up. Figured with a sale on wild caught Sockeye at Fresh Market, it was a good time to test my luck on the Joe. I started out with the brine recipe here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/final-smoked-salmon-with-recipe-instructions-and-qview.91264/

Here's the shot after the brine:

My biggest concern was keeping the temperature low. After some suggestions from some of the guys on here, I found the biggest, lumpiest blocks in the bag and started the fire:

Salmon went on the grill immediately to warm up with it.

This was also my first cook with the MEATER Block, so I got to test that out as well. There was definitely some disparity between the two probes, but I'm going to give them a few more rounds before I write em off. I'm curious what anyone else's experience with these is.

Mandatory. Huge fan of bourbon, and coffee, and stouts. If you haven't had anything from Alltech Brewing, I highly recommend it!

Almost done

And complete.

Graph of the finished cook from the MEATER app. I may have fallen asleep towards the end, there. Notifications weren't super notifying.

I'd definitely call this cook a flying success. If I keep this up I may even sell the MES.