Ive had a few pizza sessions on my kj classic 2. Although the last time i warped the steel firebox ring so not sure that should count as successful! I thought it aould be good to ask a kj specific question.
My set up is deflectors on the grill in top position. Spacers on top of that with pizza stone then on top.
So my question/s is when doing high heat cooks:
1. How long do u let the kj heat sink for? I have just opened the vents and let it ride. When up to 650/700 put pizzas on.
2. Where do people set their vents? How open is the bottom and top? As above i nlrmally just open them up and stick the pizza on at above the 650/700 mark.
3. How long should this sort of temp last or is safe for the kj? If i had a pizza party how long could this keep up for eg.
First time poster and an all round amateur "cooker" in all honesty. Been using cheap hardware store Charcoal BBQs for about 10 years but decided that if i am going to be stuck at home for months then i am going to do it with a beer in my hand and a decent plate of food in front of me. I have just purchased a Big Joe 3 and it's on it's way ... Here comes the concern.
I live in the UK and have no access to my garden, i have to go through the house. UK Standard door width is 29" (74cms) ... is the dam thing actually going to fit through the door?
Due to COVID, its me and my wife and we can't ask people for help due to the restriction in the UK. I can lift / shift a 100Kg washer dryer on my own but it almost kills me. My wife is fairly strong but i am worried that we will not be able to move the BBQ into the house to wait for reinforcements.
I should thought of these things before buying a ceramic hulk but all the pictures of you guys enjoying a veritable conucopia of meat dishes made me hasty!
I have been seeing whole fish at Costco for some time now so I decided to give it a go. I bought some snapper for diner last night and was blown away by the results.
I watched Mr. Setzler's video on grilling a whole fish as a guide along with some recipes I found on the interwebs.
2 snappers gutted and cleaned (got mine from Costco as I said previously)
Cut crosshatch slits on both sides of the fish (next time I will just do horizontal slits for easier removal of skin)
Seasoned with garlic rosemary seasoning
Salted with a few pinches of kosher salt
Spritzed with olive oil generously on each side
Stuffed cavity with fresh rosemary, thyme and dill from the garden
Sprinkled lime juice to finish off
Using the Big Joe, I lit just one side and set the fish for direct at the highest level grate. I used a fish\veggie tray to keep the fish from falling apart.
I had the temp at around 300-325 and grilled each side for 9 minutes until the inter temp as around 140.
The flavor was amazing! I don't think I would have the intense herb flavors if I had just cooked fillets but I will be trying that in the future.
I served the fish with some leftover bulgur pilaf and a spinach berry salad.
I have never had snapper before that I can remember but I am now a huge fan!!
Cooking my first brisket on the KJ Classic 2 and had a lot of trouble with thick white smoke. My process below, if anybody can help me find the mistake it would be much appreciated!
- Loaded KJ with Jealous Devil lump charcoal and mix ~5-7 oak log chunks of medium (?) size. Logs were highly likely kiln dried but I did get them in firewood-like logs from a meat market vs the mass distro grocery store/home improvement bags
- Used Royal Oak starters and got the lump lit for about 15 minutes, then a couple of the oak chunks caught and I got a decent fire.
- Closed the top but opened the vent fully to try to let it smoke out and carbonize. Temp jumped pretty quickly to about 350 so I choked it back and got it stable around 260 but the thick white smoke continued for a solid 45+ minutes at which point I had no choice but to start the meat
- White smoke continued for another hour+ after this, albeit it didnt billow out quite as aggressively. This went on for a couple of hours at least which seemed like an excessively long time.
Just bought a Kamado Joe Classic II about 5 days ago. Love almost everything about it so far but there is one thing that has me a bit concerned. The hinge seems to be making an audible creaking noise both when being opened and closed. I didn’t notice this at all when I first bought the cooker. Didn’t really seem to notice until after the 2nd cook or so. Is this a common sound with the grill, or something that will go away with time, or is this something I should be investigating? Hinge seems to work fine. I did tighten it to fine tune it but other than that it’s just the sound.