I have no idea how I'm just discovering this site, this is awesome!

I'm in the market for a new Kamado.  I've narrowed it down to the Big Joe and a Summit Charcoal.  I'm leaning heavy towards the Big Joe, but am curious to know how deep the discount is at Costco.....  The roadshow schedule isn't coming to B'ham in the near future, but I'm willing to drive over to ATL.  Question:  For those what are near a costco, what are the current prices for the grills?  

Also, I read on kamadojoe.com that the warranty is not honored when purchased from a store like Costco.  I realize Costco might pick up the warranty, but wanted to verify other's experience.  

I appreciate the advice and look forward to the future discussions.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To a card carrying member of the Red Brigade! 

Thanks! 

Don’t fret about missing Costco at your local Costco. I think Costco will be at your local Costco today, and probably tomorrow, too.  If not, Costco’s website probably has a store locator, so you can

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, au4stree said:

I'm in the market for a new Kamado.  I've narrowed it down to the Big Joe and a Summit Charcoal.  I'm leaning heavy towards the Big Joe, but am curious to know how deep the discount is at Costco.....  The roadshow schedule isn't coming to B'ham in the near future, but I'm willing to drive over to ATL.  Question:  For those what are near a costco, what are the current prices for the grills?  

The next closest show to you will be in the Brookhaven warehouse, north of Atlanta, Feb 23 - March 4.  

https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

5 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

The next closest show to you will be in the Brookhaven warehouse, north of Atlanta, Feb 23 - March 4.  

thanks for the reply, but am curious if anyone remembers the pricing at the roadshows?  I've got a price locally with free delivery, but needed to know if it's worth my time to drive to ATL.

Dude, don’t know if this is current. If not check the Costco website. Iirc the classic II was going for like $980 or something like that.  Only way to beat that is the roadshow demo deal...now that is like a felony larceny without the jail time if you can score it...get in early 

42 minutes ago, prowe said:

Dude, don’t know if this is current. If not check the Costco website. Iirc the classic II was going for like $980 or something like that.  Only way to beat that is the roadshow demo deal...now that is like a felony larceny without the jail time if you can score it...get in early 

Yes.  I've seen the schedule, what I'm trying to figure out is price for the grills.  I agree, $980 is a good price for the regular Joe.

4 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

In December the Classic II sold for $969. Big Joe for $1299. Both included a cover and a box of fire starters. I would expect 2018 pricing to be the same.

Thank you LargeRed Joe, this is what I was needing.  Looks like I'll be traveling to Georgia at the end of February.  That price is a a $500 swing compared to local pricing or anything I've seen online.  The big joe is selling around $1700-1850 around here....

2 hours ago, au4stree said:

Thank you LargeRed Joe, this is what I was needing.  Looks like I'll be traveling to Georgia at the end of February.  That price is a a $500 swing compared to local pricing or anything I've seen online.  The big joe is selling around $1700-1850 around here....

Ask if they will price match Costco.  When I was going to buy one I called the local place and they said they would price match but of course, they were out of stock so off I went to Costco.  Worth a shot anyway.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By cameronleespencer
      Hello There!

Texan, currently living in Seattle, finally got a backyard to do some grilling in this summer!

I'm currently grilling on a Weber performer, while I restore a Big Joe that I got off fb marketplace.  I have a thread in the DIY section with some photos if anyone is interested or has some good recommendations.  

Can't wait to get cooking on the Kamado once it is up and running.  Most looking forward to cooking some pizzas and of course brisket, being a Texan!

Thanks,
      Cameron Spencer
    • By cameronleespencer
      Hello there!  

I'm new to the world of Kamado cooking and to this forum, so I'm looking forward to some dialogue.

So I recently found a Big Joe for sale on fb marketplace for the irresistible price of $100!  The main body is in not terrible shape, but it's missing quite a few items, and will need some cleaning/repair.  I'm hoping the combined expertise hear can help me get this thing in good working order for the least amount of extra $ possible, and more importantly without damaging the integrity of the grill.

Condition Report:
      The ceramic body itself is in good shape with no major cracks or chips.  There are a few issues that need to be addressed however:
      The upper part of the interior has some green staining.  I assume this is from algae/moss since I live in the PNW.  Any tips on how to gently clean this, or should I just do a burnout when I get the rest set up?  The felt gaskets are in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced (tips on cleaning and removing gunk would be welcome too).  The wire mesh gasket is mostly intact but has come loose.  Does anyone know of an adhesive that would be safe to use to re-attach it?   I'm not sure what to call this, but the hole that helps align the hinge on the back side of the band has been worn quite a bit.  Making the hole about 1 1/2" long and the ceramic a bit crumbly there (see pic).  Does anyone know of any substance I could safely patch this with, and how best to reattach the bands?  
      Missing parts:
      At that low of a price I wasn't too concerned about replacing a few parts, but after price checking I found I need approx $400-$450 in replacement parts.  I can get most of these from BBQ Guys, but I figured I would reach out to the community here and see if people had recommendations for third party replacements, custom ideas, or (fingers crossed) extra parts that they need to get rid of.  Here is a list of what I need:
      Firebox Deflector Grill Grates Flex cooking rack (is this necessary or is there another way to grill/smoke without it?) Replacement Gasket kit Missing the upper half of the cart, not sure if I will try and purchase that, or make a custom table I will be focusing on grilling and smoking with this grill, so I don't really need some of the specialty items.

I know this is a lot of information/questions, so don't feel like you have to address everything, but if you have some advice on any of the subjects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy grilling!

• By Nnank76
      hey guys,

Ive had a few pizza sessions on my kj classic 2. Although the last time i warped the steel firebox ring so not sure that should count as successful! I thought it aould be good to ask a kj specific question.  

My set up is deflectors on the grill in top position. Spacers on top of that with pizza stone then on top.

So my question/s is when doing high heat cooks:
      1. How long do u let the kj heat sink for? I have just opened the vents and let it ride. When up to 650/700 put pizzas on.
      2. Where do people set their vents? How open is the bottom and top? As above i nlrmally just open them up and stick the pizza on at above the 650/700 mark.
      3. How long should this sort of temp last or is safe for the kj? If i had a pizza party how long could this keep up for eg.

Any advice or thoughts is welcome?

Cheers
      Nathan

• By Graham
      Morning Kamado Warriors, 

First time poster and an all round amateur "cooker" in all honesty. Been using cheap hardware store Charcoal BBQs for about 10 years but decided that if i am going to be stuck at home for months then i am going to do it with a beer in my hand and a decent plate of food in front of me. I have just purchased a Big Joe 3 and it's on it's way ... Here comes the concern.

I live in the UK and have no access to my garden, i have to go through the house. UK Standard door width is 29" (74cms) ... is the dam thing actually going to fit through the door? Due to COVID, its me and my wife and we can't ask people for help due to the restriction in the UK. I can lift / shift a 100Kg washer dryer on my own but it almost kills me. My wife is fairly strong but i am worried that we will not be able to move the BBQ into the house to wait for reinforcements.   
      I should thought of these things before buying a ceramic hulk but all the pictures of you guys enjoying a veritable conucopia of meat dishes made me hasty!

Graham
    • By buckleybj
      I have been seeing whole fish at Costco for some time now so I decided to give it a go. I bought some snapper for diner last night and was blown away by the results.

I watched Mr. Setzler's video on grilling a whole fish as a guide along with some recipes I found on the interwebs.

2 snappers gutted and cleaned (got mine from Costco as I said previously) Cut crosshatch slits on both sides of the fish (next time I will just do horizontal slits for easier removal of skin) Seasoned with garlic rosemary seasoning Salted with a few pinches of kosher salt Spritzed with olive oil generously on each side Stuffed cavity with fresh rosemary, thyme and dill from the garden Sprinkled lime juice to finish off  
      Using the Big Joe, I lit just one side and set the fish for direct at the highest level grate. I used a fish\veggie tray to keep the fish from falling apart.
      I had the temp at around 300-325 and grilled each side for 9 minutes until the inter temp as around 140.

The flavor was amazing! I don't think I would have the intense herb flavors if I had just cooked fillets but I will be trying that in the future.

I served the fish with some leftover bulgur pilaf and a spinach berry salad.

I have never had snapper before that I can remember but I am now a huge fan!!