Open box private sale. OK. I have never been one to pay more than 50% off for an open box item anywhere. Sure the product is backed and such. And I think Thermoworks will do  that no problem.

I have their products, called CS, etc. and consider ThermoWorks to be top of the line-except "private open box sales".

Still won't pay $76 open box vice $99 new.-especially if it's a "private sale". I would feel rewarded by a lower price (50% off min) as a "private sale" eligible person.

There still is the monthly give away of 1 MK4. Used to be 3 per month. That's new in box, free. Guess I'll wait while using the Knock Off. (Forever)

I get it's their business and such. I imagine/am glad that they will get $76 takers.  If the price was much lower, me too.

Am I over the top?

M.

11 minutes ago, mike echo said:

Am I over the top?

No.

25-ish percent off is pretty decent IMHO, but I paid full price for mine so as with all things in life YMMV.

It's never been clear to me what "open box" means in this context. Are they actual returns that have been refurbed, or are they QC units that simply can't be sold as "new"...

A deal is a deal and one should take advantage of that when possible however I had to pay full pop for mine about 5 years ago and I have to say it was one of the best investments I ever made as far as cooking utensils go.  Now that I'm used to my Kamados I seldom use anything else other than the laser for stone temp when cooking pizza.  Mine still has the same battery and it get used several times a week.

I bought a cheaper brand for my cabin but I would replace my Thermapen with another Thermapen.

New in box:

Got it. Personal conviction. I hold out for prices that make sense to me and hopefully the seller.

That conviction works most of the time....  Most.

I got my ThermoWorks Smoke on a sale last spring. Being ThermoWorks,  on a New in Box item , I jumped on  a sale price.

Reconditioned, gently used , demo, private sale, one time event, whatever, the words a seller uses that equates to-NOT New in box, I get stubborn for a big price break. My Mother always said, "people who have money, get it by not spending too much".

Now my brother is way gone. He spends next to nothing or the least he can-always. That is not a real popular in a social setting.

Cheers.

M.

The email info states the following for "Open Box"...

"The Thermapen Mk4 is our latest model, and we have accumulated a small number of Thermapen Mk4s

here (and from the factory in England) that, for various reasons, we will not sell as new units. Open Box Includes:

sales demos, customer returns, cosmetic seconds, slightly damaged packaging, refurbished units.
While not the same as new, all units are like-new and include the full warranty. They also include instructions, the Thermapen User's Guidebook, and a calibration certificate. In most cases, you won't be able to differentiate these from new stock.

Please note, the Thermapen Mk4 is the newest version. This private sale does not include the Classic Thermapen.
Offer limited to colors and stock on hand."