• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
01Bullitt

Second Hand DEMO Primo

Hello all, 

I stopped into the local Primo Dealer this afternoon and they had a used floor model that they used last summer during open houses. It is the round (20" model I believe) with nest and shelves. They were asking $799. Do you think this is a reasonable price? They also had a new XL300 oval that I could get for $995 for just the Kamado (no nest etc). I am looking to upgrade my Acorn to a ceramic version. They stated that the warranties all carry to me since they are the dealer. I was looking to purchase a Grilla Kong but this is the same price but used. 

Eventually I would want to build a wooden table to set it in, not really interested in the nest and folding arms, could sell them on here I suppose, and if its allowed. 

Also, for those of you that switched from other kamados, what do you like about your Primo. Do you think they are on par with Kamado Joe or BGE?

Thanks

Is it worth the added cost to go to the XL300? I can't really see it being that much better. Just looking for opinions on what people liked. 

Maybe the oval has huge benefits that I am not aware of. 

27 minutes ago, 01Bullitt said:

Is it worth the added cost to go to the XL300? I can't really see it being that much better. Just looking for opinions on what people liked. 

Maybe the oval has huge benefits that I am not aware of. 

The mentality of the kamado owner crowd when you ask this question is going to be 'go big or go home.'  I don't own a primo.  I have all the various sizes of the Kamado Joe.  My go to grill is the 18" classic.  If I could only have ONE grill it would be the 18" classic.  I don't need the larger grill often enough to make that my only grill.  They will tell you it's better to have too much space then not enough.  Maybe they are right but I really would hate to be firing up a grill that large fora  lot of smaller cooks most of the time.  I would push my smaller grill to the extremes in the cases where I needed to rather than be that inefficient using a big grill all the time.  It's a decision you have to make.

Thats a great point. I did find that BBQguys is currently selling the Primo Jr Oval for $845 w/ free shipping & no tax for $845. This has roughly the same cooking area but I like the divider for searing on one side and indirect on the other. Only downside is its only 13.5" in width. 18.5" in length, so very close. 

I get by with a Jr. size kamado quite often in the winter by staging various parts of the cook at different times and holding for service.  I really like using a larger kamado when I can to have plenty of real estate to work with so I can have sides and such all going at the same time as the protein.  So you might want to consider how you are going to utilize the kamado as well in your decision.  Are you going to do your protein on the grill and sides by other means?  Or are you going to want to have multiple items cooking at the same time?  Just another way to look at it...  Oddly enough, I have a standard size and seem to use the Jr. and extra large more often now, but there are a number of factors at play... When you are setup for 2 zone cooking, each of your zones is only half the grill size - that is something to keep in mind as well. 

I own a Primo XL, a Costco Pit Boss 24, a Vision Classic and a Kamado Joe Jr.  The Pit Boss is the least used and, as much as I love the Primo, it is most often used when I need the extra real estate for larger cooks of multiple items in zones and for when I cook multiple racks of ribs or chickens..  Most often, I'm cooking for 2, sometimes for four.  I find the Classic size is perfect for almost anything and the Jr. is my go to for most cooks for just my wife and me.  

If I was forced to keep only 1 kamado, I'd keep the Classic size and my Pit Barrel Cooker.

Even more decisions to make. The local primo dealer called me back and offered to sell me the oval large 300 for 895 cash. I think I might have to take them up on that offer. From my research, that's a pretty good deal. I think that will be small enough for my small family but large enough for get together. 

Thoughts? 

14 minutes ago, 01Bullitt said:

Even more decisions to make. The local primo dealer called me back and offered to sell me the oval large 300 for 895 cash. I think I might have to take them up on that offer. From my research, that's a pretty good deal. I think that will be small enough for my small family but large enough for get together. 

Thoughts? 

Stop thinking.  Your name is Bullit. You know what you gotta do Mr #01 Bullit...pull the trigger. Exhale, squeeze, light that grill.

and then share some pix with us. 

Ok, I have a different question. I am going to drop the hammer on this grill. That being said, what are your thoughts on materials other than ceramic for the sole purpose of heat deflection. My buddy owns a huge waterjet table, plenty thick steel, and cad programming. I was thinking of trying to Fab up the two deflectors and the fire box divider for fun and cost savings. 

I used 3/8 steel plate as a heat deflectorin my Akorn, it worked good but was heavy.  I would make sure you did two half moons like the original design if You decide to go this route.  You will need to get the original support racks or make your own.  With the heat the FB divider sees I would go with the Primo made one.  

3 hours ago, Jack 101 said:

I own a Primo XL, a Costco Pit Boss 24, a Vision Classic and a Kamado Joe Jr.  The Pit Boss is the least used and, as much as I love the Primo, it is most often used when I need the extra real estate for larger cooks of multiple items in zones and for when I cook multiple racks of ribs or chickens..  Most often, I'm cooking for 2, sometimes for four.  I find the Classic size is perfect for almost anything and the Jr. is my go to for most cooks for just my wife and me.  

If I was forced to keep only 1 kamado, I'd keep the Classic size and my Pit Barrel Cooker.

That's two Jack!  B)

Yup, I realize I added the PBC. :oops:  But, it's not a kamado, and it's such a versatile cooker at such a reasonable price point that if  I were trying to get to the "totally pared down" outdoor cooker arsenal, it would be the only non-kamado cooker I'd want around.  If I had to choose just one kamado, it would be the Classic size.