In2Fish

Kamado coffee

I picked up some Peruvian coffee beans a while back and decided to roast them.  1st batch was in the kitchen in a skillet. this batch was done w/ the Joetisserie.  I roasted to beans until just over the 1st crack stage. I initially thought I over did it based on the smell (a bit burnt smelling). I'm not a coffee aficionado, but once the beans cooled and were ground, the coffee tasted great to me.

The beans were acquired with w/ the parchment intact.  I used the food processor and the dough blade to knock off the parchment.   For you coffee drinkers out there, it's something worth trying.

DSCN2913.JPG

DSCN2916.JPG

DSCN2917.JPG

DSCN2918.JPG

DSCN2922.JPG

DSCN2926.JPG

DSCN2927.JPG

Looks like you got pretty even results. I have been roasting coffee for the last four years but recently quit caffeine.  (I hated HAVING to have it or the killer headache that would follow). I loved my gene cafe coffee roaster, and have tried a couple decaf batches with it. 

Ok, so being a little geeky...  here's the exact location of the 'restaurant' where the coffee bean originated.  We stopped here for breakfast during my October  fish collecting trip.  It was a non-collecting day and we explored the old Inca 'highway' for about 3 hours after breakfast, and we were up to about 15,000 feet.  A cold rainy and at times snowy/sleety day.   The old road was the main road 4-5 years ago, and it was basically a single lane 'road' , not paved, just dirt/gravel, no lights, no catseyes, to guard rails, no nothing... and at time  the edge of the road was a sheer drop-off.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13°29'56.9"S+70°54'01.2"W/@-13.4991389,-70.901144,330m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d-13.4991253!4d-70.9003425!5m1!1e1

I also roast my own beans, and looks like yours are just the right roast profile for brewing.  Better if you let them degas a couple of days before grinding, but great coffee is worth all the effort.  Also, if you drink it just a little under too hot, you can taste the sweeter flavors better.  

8 minutes ago, Smoke and Awe said:

I also roast my own beans, and looks like yours are just the right roast profile for brewing.  Better if you let them degas a couple of days before grinding, but great coffee is worth all the effort.  Also, if you drink it just a little under too hot, you can taste the sweeter flavors better.  

What do you use to roast?  

My behmor 1600 has served me well!

On 2/5/2018 at 6:54 AM, Ben S said:

FYI. I don’t know off the parchment, aka chaff, just roast. I roast past the smoast first crack not getting into second crack. It is a perfect medium roast for me. 

Ben - so does the parchment burn off, or do you separate it (how?) post roast?

59 minutes ago, In2Fish said:

Ben - so does the parchment burn off, or do you separate it (how?) post roast?

It falls off when the beans pop and is referee to as the chaff. Most of it fall out of my roasting basket. I choose not to pay attention to the relatively small amount that gets into my bean storage jars. I just grind it with my beans and don’t even waste energy thinking about it.  

12 hours ago, Ben S said:

It falls off when the beans pop and is referee to as the chaff. Most of it fall out of my roasting basket. I choose not to pay attention to the relatively small amount that gets into my bean storage jars. I just grind it with my beans and don’t even waste energy thinking about it.  

Thx Ben, next time I will follow this route.  I like easier methods.