New and shopping for my 1st

I am chomping at the bit to buy a Kamado Grill and found this site in my research. Looks like I am down to 3 options. I am leaning towards an xl on anything I buy for the “just in case” factor. Mostly think a brisker would be tight on a standard 18” grill. If incorrect let me know. Anyway these are my 3 choices. 

KJ from the road show this Friday at Costco. 

Gourmet Guru XL for $800 or 575 for standard from local vendor. 

Pit Boss whenever Costco gets them stocked. Don’t like this option because it means I have to wait. But if they are $599 for the 24” that may be worth waiting. 

2 hours ago, Txbullets said:

I am chomping at the bit to buy a Kamado Grill and found this site in my research. Looks like I am down to 3 options. I am leaning towards an xl on anything I buy for the “just in case” factor. Mostly think a brisker would be tight on a standard 18” grill. If incorrect let me know. Anyway these are my 3 choices. 

KJ from the road show this Friday at Costco. 

Gourmet Guru XL for $800 or 575 for standard from local vendor. 

Pit Boss whenever Costco gets them stocked. Don’t like this option because it means I have to wait. But if they are $599 for the 24” that may be worth waiting. 

Big Joe hands down. I put a ton of research into my purchase and it came down to a Weber Summit and KJ. I chose the KJ because of the insulation and everything they throw in. I got a Classic II only because I couldnt wait...and because the local Cabelas let it go for $799.

You can easily cook a decent size brisket (I've cooked a 17lb) on the Classic, I just use bricks or the rib rack under the middle.

So I am assuming big joe is preferred over classic II because bigger is always better?  Or is it the D&C system in the big joe that makes it great?  

Seeing as that big of a brisket will fit I am starting to consider that a classic II may be more than enough. I have a small well built (thick steel) offset smoker.  I just get tired of feeding it fuel. Plus it takes me an hour to get it running steady.  

I am looking at the Kamado for versatility, excellent grilling flavor and ease of use.  Right now if I overnight smoke I get up every 2 hours to feed it.     

Decisions decisions!

Welcome!  Both the Classic and Big Joe will have the D &C system.  If you plan on utilizing two zone cooking often using the D&C, just keep in mind that cuts you down to half your grate size for each zone. Probably not an issue, but something to keep in mind. Briskets can fit on the classic size though as mentioned you might need to get a little creative. 

2 hours ago, Txbullets said:

So I am assuming big joe is preferred over classic II because bigger is always better?  Or is it the D&C system in the big joe that makes it great?  

Seeing as that big of a brisket will fit I am starting to consider that a classic II may be more than enough. I have a small well built (thick steel) offset smoker.  I just get tired of feeding it fuel. Plus it takes me an hour to get it running steady.  

I am looking at the Kamado for versatility, excellent grilling flavor and ease of use.  Right now if I overnight smoke I get up every 2 hours to feed it.     

Decisions decisions!

Bad wording on my part. If you cook for 2-3 people, then the Classic should be ok. KJ has lots of accessories, grill extender, rib rack, D&C, second level grill....you can really get creative. If you cook for 4 or more, or want to smoke large amounts of meat, the Big Joe would probably be better. 

Also another great selling point for the KJ is the charcoal efficiency. I was blown away by how little charcoal i used for extended cooks.