AuMonkeyBoy

Kamado Joe Jr. accessories

Kamado Joe is not the only guys who short change the Jr or small size cookers with accessories. There is not a lot of stuff out there  I just wish at a minimum KJ would give us a CI grate and maybe a griddle. I have a CI grate for mine that is for a small BGE but it does not align with the three studs at the top of the heat shield rack.  

I could be wrong here but I believe Kamado Joe’s thoughts on this may be that the Joe Jr. is a 14” grill that is designed to do small grilling tasks and limited indirect heat roasting or smoking of smaller items.  I agree that a cast iron grate might be a nice option if you like grilling on iron grates.  As for the griddle, you would be better off with a 10 or 12” cast iron skillet.  It would probably be less expensive that a dedicated round griddle for a grill that small.  I would think the skillet would also be more functional with the handle and raised sides.  It would make it easier to handle food.  Skillet and flat top cooking are direct contact cooking methods and dont need to be done with the lid closed.  

Ultimately, i would love to see Kamado Joe have an extended line of branded accessories like BGE has.  I know those accessories dont matter that much but I also know they have a rather profound impact at the point of sale on a sales floor.

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I could be wrong here but I believe Kamado Joe’s thoughts on this may be that the Joe Jr. is a 14” grill that is designed to do small grilling tasks and limited indirect heat roasting or smoking of smaller items.  I agree that a cast iron grate might be a nice option if you like grilling on iron grates.  As for the griddle, you would be better off with a 10 or 12” cast iron skillet.  It would probably be less expensive that a dedicated round griddle for a grill that small.  I would think the skillet would also be more functional with the handle and raised sides.  It would make it easier to handle food.  Skillet and flat top cooking are direct contact cooking methods and dont need to be done with the lid closed.  

Ultimately, i would love to see Kamado Joe have an extended line of branded accessories like BGE has.  I know those accessories dont matter that much but I also know they have a rather profound impact at the point of sale on a sales floor.

I think you are spot on and I'm not sure what the market would support.  At the end of the day, we are best served by cooking what the grill is capable of and best suited for.  The Jr. is a very capable little cooker and produces some great food at our house.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:54 AM, John Setzler said:

I get lost looking at all of BGE's accessories sometimes.  I'm with @benniesdad on wanting the minimum accessories, but I suppose I can make due with a skillet like you said.  

There are plenty of accessories on the market for the junior, The best one is the Kick ash basket and why I say that is because it allows you to place the heat deflector on the handles of the KAB which allows you to cook indirect at the fire ring level, it also gives you a lot more headroom in the dome for grill extenders 

KAB-1.jpg

HD on KAB.jpg

with GC CI over HD.jpg

With HM.jpg

With GD Raiser.jpg

13 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

The other neat aspect of the KAB is that you can more easily unload and extinguish hot coals when tailgating. 

And easy clean out