AuMonkeyBoy

Kamado Joe Jr. accessories

8 hours ago, pesto3 said:

I love the Jr but it does need some extras. I made a little rack for it as well as the Rotisserie. I didn't like how the grill sat directly on the defector plate for baking. 

IMG_2700.thumb.jpeg.695f684f322c64038eb8e6c532d999cf.jpegIMG_2701.thumb.jpeg.b3716324a3b89bdaad96afdeba9b0b04.jpeg

Must be nice to be able to create racks like that but what is the main difference, This is the setup I use for Pizza cooks using the original rack

Pizza Set up.png

2 hours ago, JaxxQ said:

Must be nice to be able to create racks like that but what is the main difference, This is the setup I use for Pizza cooks using the original rack

Pizza Set up.png

yeah, thats great for pizzas. I meant to say roasting, not baking. my first cook was chicken thighs. i just didn't like how it basically sat on the deflector. 

Wait a New York minute,  Pesto, didn't your Jr come with a rack to put the defector plate about 3-4 inches below the grate?   Unless I'm confused.  (easily done and just a way of life for me).  I have a KAB and the rack works well w/rack for the deflector plate and grill.

3 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Wait a New York minute,  Pesto, didn't your Jr come with a rack to put the defector plate about 3-4 inches below the grate?   Unless I'm confused.  (easily done and just a way of life for me).  I have a KAB and the rack works well w/rack for the deflector plate and grill.

Yeah mate it did. But isn’t that position for low n slows? I’m talking about when I’m roastin at 400f plus etc. the deflector plate has a provision for it to sit directly under the grill....unless it’s safe to cook at higger Temps with it in the low position? Or am I way off base and just put the deflector in the wrong spot.....LMAO, 

Well now I'm totally confused.  I put mine in and do low and slow and bake at higher temps with the deflector plate in the same position.  So......I'm doing it wrong?    I'm really in the learning phase of Kamado cooking ya know.   Course for really low and slow smoking I use my pellet pooper.   

8 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Well now I'm totally confused.  I put mine in and do low and slow and bake at higher temps with the deflector plate in the same position.  So......I'm doing it wrong?    I'm really in the learning phase of Kamado cooking ya know.   Course for really low and slow smoking I use my pellet pooper.   

I’m pretty sure it’s designed to have the deflector plate in the higher position for higher temp cooks. Same as with the BJ and the Classic. Anyway, that’s the reason I made the rack. This way I’ve got a low n slow position and a roasting position without having to have the grill directly on the deflector plate, which I just didn’t like. 

3 hours ago, pesto3 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s designed to have the deflector plate in the higher position for higher temp cooks. Same as with the BJ and the Classic. Anyway, that’s the reason I made the rack. This way I’ve got a low n slow position and a roasting position without having to have the grill directly on the deflector plate, which I just didn’t like. 

Ah now I see what talking about when you say the deflector is wright below the grate, I wouldn't like that either, I only put my deflector when baking directly on the stone, I have cooked many cooks at 400 plus with it in the lower position with no problems, On the jr the deflector plate is 10 in  which give you a good 1 1/2 inches of room between the fire rind and the plate so there is plenty of room for airflow, on the Classic and Big Joe you only have about a 1/2" so there is a need for lower, middle and upper positions 

9 hours ago, JaxxQ said:

Ah now I see what talking about when you say the deflector is wright below the grate, I wouldn't like that either, I only put my deflector when baking directly on the stone, I have cooked many cooks at 400 plus with it in the lower position with no problems, On the jr the deflector plate is 10 in  which give you a good 1 1/2 inches of room between the fire rind and the plate so there is plenty of room for airflow, on the Classic and Big Joe you only have about a 1/2" so there is a need for lower, middle and upper positions 

That’s a great point! Jr deflector does allow more airflow. I had some spare steel in the garage and knocked this up. I like to make stuff so it was a fun little project.