Jump to content

Kamado Joe Jr. accessories


AuMonkeyBoy
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, pesto3 said:

I love the Jr but it does need some extras. I made a little rack for it as well as the Rotisserie. I didn't like how the grill sat directly on the defector plate for baking. 

 

IMG_2700.thumb.jpeg.695f684f322c64038eb8e6c532d999cf.jpegIMG_2701.thumb.jpeg.b3716324a3b89bdaad96afdeba9b0b04.jpeg

Must be nice to be able to create racks like that but what is the main difference, This is the setup I use for Pizza cooks using the original rack

Pizza Set up.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JaxxQ said:

Must be nice to be able to create racks like that but what is the main difference, This is the setup I use for Pizza cooks using the original rack

Pizza Set up.png

yeah, thats great for pizzas. I meant to say roasting, not baking. my first cook was chicken thighs. i just didn't like how it basically sat on the deflector. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait a New York minute,  Pesto, didn't your Jr come with a rack to put the defector plate about 3-4 inches below the grate?   Unless I'm confused.  (easily done and just a way of life for me).  I have a KAB and the rack works well w/rack for the deflector plate and grill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Wait a New York minute,  Pesto, didn't your Jr come with a rack to put the defector plate about 3-4 inches below the grate?   Unless I'm confused.  (easily done and just a way of life for me).  I have a KAB and the rack works well w/rack for the deflector plate and grill.

Yeah mate it did. But isn’t that position for low n slows? I’m talking about when I’m roastin at 400f plus etc. the deflector plate has a provision for it to sit directly under the grill....unless it’s safe to cook at higger Temps with it in the low position? Or am I way off base and just put the deflector in the wrong spot.....LMAO, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well now I'm totally confused.  I put mine in and do low and slow and bake at higher temps with the deflector plate in the same position.  So......I'm doing it wrong?    I'm really in the learning phase of Kamado cooking ya know.   Course for really low and slow smoking I use my pellet pooper.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Well now I'm totally confused.  I put mine in and do low and slow and bake at higher temps with the deflector plate in the same position.  So......I'm doing it wrong?    I'm really in the learning phase of Kamado cooking ya know.   Course for really low and slow smoking I use my pellet pooper.   

I’m pretty sure it’s designed to have the deflector plate in the higher position for higher temp cooks. Same as with the BJ and the Classic. Anyway, that’s the reason I made the rack. This way I’ve got a low n slow position and a roasting position without having to have the grill directly on the deflector plate, which I just didn’t like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pesto3 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s designed to have the deflector plate in the higher position for higher temp cooks. Same as with the BJ and the Classic. Anyway, that’s the reason I made the rack. This way I’ve got a low n slow position and a roasting position without having to have the grill directly on the deflector plate, which I just didn’t like. 

Ah now I see what talking about when you say the deflector is wright below the grate, I wouldn't like that either, I only put my deflector when baking directly on the stone, I have cooked many cooks at 400 plus with it in the lower position with no problems, On the jr the deflector plate is 10 in  which give you a good 1 1/2 inches of room between the fire rind and the plate so there is plenty of room for airflow, on the Classic and Big Joe you only have about a 1/2" so there is a need for lower, middle and upper positions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JaxxQ said:

Ah now I see what talking about when you say the deflector is wright below the grate, I wouldn't like that either, I only put my deflector when baking directly on the stone, I have cooked many cooks at 400 plus with it in the lower position with no problems, On the jr the deflector plate is 10 in  which give you a good 1 1/2 inches of room between the fire rind and the plate so there is plenty of room for airflow, on the Classic and Big Joe you only have about a 1/2" so there is a need for lower, middle and upper positions 

That’s a great point! Jr deflector does allow more airflow. I had some spare steel in the garage and knocked this up. I like to make stuff so it was a fun little project. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Welcome, glad to have you and your new Joe Jr with us. So what it looks like, is you have a smaller diffuser set low and then a larger pizza stone which looks to be the same size as your grate sitting on metal nuts sitting on top of the grate. The distance between your pizza stone and the inside edge of your kamado looks to be less than a 1/2 and inch maybe a 1/4 from what I can see. Just from what I can see, IMO, your pizza stone is too large and will restrict the air flow around it. I like a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch gap between the edge of my stone and the inside lip of the kettle.  I am sure some guys who cook on a Joe will have more knowledge than what I can see from your picture. But, thats my take from what I can see. By the way, please stop by the introduction section of the forum and all our members know who you are, what you cook on, and so on. Happy Cooking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
18 hours ago, USNSHELLBACK said:

What kind of accessories from other Kamado brand can fit on a Kamado Joe Jr? Where can I find them?


Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Welcome.

 

What exactly are you looking for?

 

The only thing that I've found is the Kick Ash basket, which I just ordered.

 

My Joe Jr has been in storage for almost four years.  Recent life events had me dig it out and now I'm learning how to use it.

 

I sure miss my Big Joe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...