Blamman

Kickash basket

One of the best investments I've made in my Pit Boss is my kickash basket. When and or if I need to replace it I would replace it with stainless model since that's what they'll be made of going forward. However I doubt I'll need to replace mine because it built like a tank.

If you are using the grill regularly, is there a real advantage of the stainless version? 

My thought process is that if you are using the regular one often enough you won't see too many issues? Given that it is immersed in fire, does it matter if there is some surface rust between cooks?

On 2/20/2018 at 5:35 AM, BBQAdventures said:

If you are using the grill regularly, is there a real advantage of the stainless version? 

My thought process is that if you are using the regular one often enough you won't see too many issues? Given that it is immersed in fire, does it matter if there is some surface rust between cooks?

I highly doubt there would be any practical difference. But everyone hates rust.

My ash basket. Made from 3/4 expanded metal and just bent. Held together with rebar metal ties. It's not as big as the original KAB and only holds about 5-6 lbs. 

IMG_6933.JPG

IMG_6983.JPG

For $35.95 buy Titan's Stainless Steel charcoal basket.  Just received mine last week and used it over the weekend smoking ribs for six hours and really happy with it.  I think the only difference is the width of the basket which is 14" to 15" for the KAB.  that extra space gives you more airflow.  I love mine and it's just less than half the price of KAB.  Plus one year warranty.

On 2/10/2018 at 9:34 PM, Blamman said:

Should I upgrade to stainless steel? Is it worth it?

Thanks

I have never ever seen a stainless steel charcoal grate EVER on ANY grill.. I am pretty confident if charcoal grates made out of stainless steel were preferable for good reason we would have seen them years ago.   I would think tempered/hardened steel costs more to produce than a stainless material too.  Just my $.02

12 minutes ago, mrzippy said:

I have never ever seen a stainless steel charcoal grate EVER on ANY grill.. I am pretty confident if charcoal grates made out of stainless steel were preferable for good reason we would have seen them years ago.   I would think tempered/hardened steel costs more to produce than a stainless material too.  Just my $.02

I think KK's may have all stainless internals.