GLOCKer

Wok Recommendations?

Well thank you ma'am!  I do appreciate the help!

I noticed that on their website, the CGS wok also has a tight clearance in one of the photos.  I'm assuming it's a 16" wok.
Vision-grills-easy-access-dual-zones-wok

I'm getting hungry thinking of beef bulgogi cooking in my future wok! :-D

@KismetKamado I just called the CGS and they suggested doing the 16".  He said to use my Spider in the inverted position and that'll allow enough airspace.  Is there any chance you could snap a picture of your 16" with your Woo in the inverted position for me???? I would really appreciate that!

8 minutes ago, GLOCKer said:

I just checked out the photos you posted earlier and I'm not sure the Woo is invert-able!

I can take a picture tonight with the woo on the spacers I have. I’m kind of interested in doing this for my own purposes now anyway. Any idea how much of a drop / raise your spider has?

Just now, KismetKamado said:

I can take a picture tonight with the woo on the spacers I have. I’m kind of interested in doing this for my own purposes now anyway. Any idea how much of a drop / raise your spider has?

I'm thinking 3" to 4" maybe?  I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 16" wok, the aluminum ring for the counter top, and then Amazon for some appropriate wood cooking utensils. :-D

The inverted spider pics are awesome. I can see where that would be handy for a number of things.   I think the 16” with the inverted spider will be perfect. I’m still going to try setting my woo on some spacers though and give it a gander. Probably will wait for better weather though.  Let us know how it all turns out. 

2 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

The inverted spider pics are awesome. I can see where that would be handy for a number of things.   I think the 16” with the inverted spider will be perfect. I’m still going to try setting my woo on some spacers though and give it a gander. Probably will wait for better weather though.  Let us know how it all turns out. 

10-4!
I also ordered two wooden wok utensils, a wok cleaning brush, a wok stand for the counter top, and a 5" wok strainer basket for fishing food out of hot oil.  I was fortunate to have some Amazon credit stored up from doing surveys online and stuff.  The rest I'm considering a a birthday gift from my in-laws (they sent a check!).  I'm excited to try this out; my wife really like stir fry cooking and I like cooking to impress her!

quickly popping in to share another great resource for woks just in case anyone else may be looking.  The Wok Shop in San Francisco.

i've ordered from there and have been pleased with the level of service, speed of delivery, and professional courtesy every time.

there's no question that CGS is great, but you may have greater variety here, depending on your needs.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product-category/woks/

14 minutes ago, bluayeddvl said:

quickly popping in to share another great resource for woks just in case anyone else may be looking.  The Wok Shop in San Francisco.

i've ordered from there and have been pleased with the level of service, speed of delivery, and professional courtesy every time.

there's no question that CGS is great, but you may have greater variety here, depending on your needs.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product-category/woks/

Agree 100% - Wok Shop is awesome!  

That 14” is my beater wok that has been abused. I have a couple of other nice (yet still crazy cheap) ones from the Wok Shop....

Nothing wrong with the cast iron woks -- they are very "traditional" & are much thinner than what we think of when talking about "cast iron".

I have 2 flat-bottom carbon steel woks that I use on our electric stove.  The 14" is generally ok for cooking for 2 people, but the 16" is a whole lot easier to work in -- go bigger, if possible.  I don't wok cook on the kamado as my "smoke shack" is a considerable distance from the house.  The wok is a very utilitarian "pot" & can be used for many things, even eliminating the need for a lot of other cooking vessels, e.g., I like to make soup & stews in mine rather than a traditional pot (you do not have to always use them over high heat, they simmer well, too!).

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/wokology-101/

On the different wok types.